Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you your own person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Some people who think they're their own person aren't though.
    Conforming can include conforming to what's considered being non "sheeple" etc.

I am my own person in a number of ways - wouldn't be arsed with a lot of what's the done thing, or care a whole lot about what people think of me (not that I'm unusual or anything - I'm like loads of people)... but to a point. There are obviously times when we're part of a bigger picture. We don't always march to the beat of our own drum.
    E.g. sometimes if a person disagrees with aggressive tactics used by some water charge protesters, they're deemed a member of the obedient flock. Whereas I'm opposed to a lot of aspects of the water charges but I'm also opposed to said aggressive protesting tactics.
    Or if people don't run Enda Kenny into the ground, they're obviously a FG voter, a government minion etc etc. I genuinely think Enda seems like a fairly reasonable guy - and I've never voted FG. To me it's more sheep-like to depict Enda is some sort of tyrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a conformist.

I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I'm a white heterosexual cisgender male.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I am not a number I am a free man.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

*rolls eyes* Why do you ask Robsweezie?

Yes I am an independent thinker. I am not easily led. I don't see a crowd I see individual people with individual feelings. I resent people trying to pull my opinion one way or the other.

I am just me.

I am littlekittylou. No one else is.

It's not so much that littlekittylou thinks like no one else, no one else thinks like little kittylou.

I distrust and dislike intensely people who try and sway opinion.

I dislike minions.

I am certain of my own identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I dislike minions.

Unless they are Queen littlekittylou's minions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm my own person. I'm a cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Vincent, many thanks for bringing R.D. Laing to my attention.

I've heard and seen him before but never got his name, I heard snippets but never copped who/what he was.

Im on my second hour of you tube footage from him now and all I can say is thanks.

CGP

You're very welcome :)
    Always happy to see his ideas resonate with someone else.

The Divided Self is one of my favourite books.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am Legion, for we are many

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll have to check with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I'll follow the crowd if they're doing something cool like smoking or jumping in a lake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Fubrege

Yes I am an independent thinker. I am not easily led. I don't see a crowd I see individual people with individual feelings. I resent people trying to pull my opinion one way or the other.

I am just me.

It's not so much that littlekittylou thinks like no one else, no one else thinks like little kittylou.

I dislike minions.

What is your identity, And what makes someone certain of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I am the all singing all dancing crap of the world.

I am not special. I am not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

I am the same decaying organic matter as the rest of us.

I am Jack's Medula Oblongata.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

biko wrote: »
    I am Legion, for we are many

IJK-503672 - CRITICAL: THIS IS NOT A BORG DESIGNATION. STATE YOUR DESIGNATION. IBM AIX DOES NOT SHIP MICROSOFT PRODUCTS. IBM AIX DOES NOT SHIP MICROSOFT API OR SOURCE CODE MATERIAL. LOWER YOUR SHIELDS AND POWER DOWN ALL WEAPONS IMMEDIATELY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just asked my wife about this and she said I was, so there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nope, gave that right away the day I got married! :p

I'd say I'm fairly typical of the married Irish man: I think for myself but usually go with the flow for the sake of a quiet life.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 Fundrous

I used not to be but I am getting there now! There is still a people-pleaser in me, especially when it comes to authority figures, but I think I am getting better at doing what I want to do rather than doing what others think I should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You

• Advertisement

I think I've a decent sense of myself, which isn't to say that I'm not wracked with insecurity or self-consciousness sometimes. I can do or think what I feel is 'right', but still worry that I got it wrong.

I think I've a good handle on how I feel about things and where my moral true North is, but it's important not to be closed off to change or personal development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I dislike minions.

I am just me.

Well that's me told...thanks Beyonce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

My Facebook's deactivated so I'll use here to boast about how great I am instead.

Was walking home just there and saw a body collapsed against a wall in a very awkward manner, head underneath everything else. Everyone was walking past, but as I am my own person, I stopped to see if they were alive and okay. A few others stopped to help after me (in fact pretty much everyone who passed for a while, then everyone after that walked very fast by staring straight ahead) and we waited for about 45 minutes until an ambulance arrived.

Advertisement