Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Grain Beer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

No don't worry about it just get brewing if you get the all grain kits from homebrewing company you cant really go wrong. The more you make the better your beer will get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

craiclad wrote: »
    So does this mean I shouldn't worry about ruining beer with chlorinated water?
    No don't worry about it just get brewing if you get the all grain kits from homebrewing company you cant really go wrong. The more you make the better your beer will get

OR just treat your brewing water with campden tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭craiclad

slayerking wrote: »
    OR just treat your brewing water with campden tablets?

Right, I guess my question was a little vague.

Does Irish water contain such a significant amount of chlorine/chloramine that it would be necessary to treat the water with campden tablets? Or do people have good results without doing this?

I've been having trouble finding specific information about the water in my area, and it seems to change from month to month as well according to what others have been saying. Since I'm such a new brewer I'm considering just going ahead without treating my water if doing so isn't going to ruin my beer. Once I have all of the other variables down, then I can start fiddling around with water chemistry and really dial it in.

Edit: That is of course if I can do so without worrying about ruining my beer with chlorine or some other chemicals. IF there is some vital adjustment I need to make, I will of course make it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've been having trouble finding specific information about the water in my area, and it seems to change from month to month as well according to what others have been saying.
    Check the drinking water statistics on the website for the local authority in your area, monthly reports are submitted & are available to peruse.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Check the drinking water statistics on the website for the local authority in your area, monthly reports are submitted & are available to peruse.

I've been searching around, but haven't been able to find all that much useful info... Is this the sort of thing you mean? Or is there a more precise resource for the quality of water in your (or my) area?

The one that I linked only mentions if there is an incident whereby the limits are exceeded, but doesn't give us any information about the actual levels of each chemical or the p.h. of the water. It also doesn't seem to tell me if the water is chlorinated, but only that the colour of water might indicate a problem with water in areas where the water is chlorinated... I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking you guys to hold my hand through this, just having a little trouble pulling up the info that I think I need.

Do you use a more specific resource for your water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

So does this mean I shouldn't worry about ruining beer with chlorinated water?

As far as I am awear all the chlorine added to irish water is volatile. Let the brewing water stand over night until covered it will be fine. I have never had a issue

oblivious wrote: »
    As far as I am awear all the chlorine added to irish water is volatile. Let the brewing water stand over night until covered it will be fine. I have never had a issue

So I can cover the water while it stands? I was thinking of doing something similar but was afraid of dust and hair etc getting in and making its way into the brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Right now the make up of the water is Notting to worry about you have plenty of other stuff you can screw up while actually brewing your beer.

Advertisement