Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city square

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Bards wrote: »
    Would it suit Marks and Sparks... Seems big enough

Give it 6 months and there will about 50 people in Waterford that could afford to shop in M&S. A year it will be 5. There's a reason they were never too pushed about the place...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Give it 6 months and there will about 50 people in Waterford that could afford to shop in M&S. A year it will be 5. There's a reason they were never too pushed about the place...

It's funny seeing people saying M&S should come to Waterford,
    There's nothing great about them, they are in Clonmel in a shopping centre and the centre is basically a loss.

Weirdly some people seem obssessed with them, I just don't get it

Cabaal wrote: »
    It's funny seeing people saying M&S should come to Waterford,
    There's nothing great about them, they are in Clonmel in a shopping centre and the centre is basically a loss.

Weirdly some people seem obssessed with them, I just don't get it

I used go in there an odd time when I lived elsewhere. Nice sandwiches for lunch and a few nice dessert things but otherwise it's just plain overpriced. And everything is stamped "Made in Britain". What they do is done better locally by Ardkeen Stores and to a lesser extent SuperValu tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That’s the spirit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M&S food hall would be welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

M&S food hall would be welcome

Would rather see someone like H&M go in there. Someone that would be an attraction. As has been said the Ardkeen Stores do what M&S does and they do it a lot better in my opinion. Can’t see M&S being a big attraction. Also the "Made in Britain" stamp is going to be a warning sign now the UK has left the EU. Food standards are going to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

BBM77 wrote: »
    Would rather see someone like H&M go in there. Someone that would be an attraction. As has been said the Ardkeen Stores do what M&S does and they do it a lot better in my opinion. Can’t see M&S being a big attraction. Also the "Made in Britain" stamp is going to be a warning sign now the UK has left the EU. Food standards are going to slip.

Ardkeen SC are opening up an outlet @ the front of Shaws. Cafe and a small food outlet. Reckon they will do well. Prominent location too.

Ardkeen SC are opening up an outlet @ the front of Shaws. Cafe and a small food outlet. Reckon they will do well. Prominent location too.

Things have kind of come full circle. Used to always be a food court type place around there. For those old enough to remember Chapmans at the entrance to Georges Court from The Quay side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Yeah, agree h and m

Things have kind of come full circle. Used to always be a food court type place around there. For those old enough to remember Chapmans at the entrance to Georges Court from The Quay side.

Just goes to show that not all progress is good or needed. Shop local IMO. Who wants a town full of identikit UK High Street retailers? Quirky, locally owned niche shops and cafes are what is needed to differentiate Waterford from a.n. other town or city. Its not as if we cant go online any shop/purchase from all the major retailers if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The queue system into Dunnes is awful in City Square. It's forcing people to go in 2 directions near the Holland&Barrett and around the stairs section which is pretty tight there as it is. Couldn't Dunnes have handled the queue inside their store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

iseegirls wrote: »
    The queue system into Dunnes is awful in City Square. It's forcing people to go in 2 directions near the Holland&Barrett and around the stairs section which is pretty tight there as it is. Couldn't Dunnes have handled the queue inside their store?

The Dunnes queue just goes down in front of Debenhams. I'm not sure how you expect them to manage a queue to get into a shop, inside the shop you are queuing to get into. Especially in a small supermarket like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Personally I'd love to see M&S foodhall come to City Square, I think it would be an attraction.
    Having just 1 food store (Dunnes) in the city centre is a pretty grim offering and certainly could do with some choice.
    Everything else is dispersed (SuperValu, Tescos etc).
    Sure Ardkeen Stores is great at what they do, but as the name entails - they're in Ardkeen which is a bit irrelevant when referencing what will enter City Square space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I used go in there an odd time when I lived elsewhere. Nice sandwiches for lunch and a few nice dessert things but otherwise it's just plain overpriced. And everything is stamped "Made in Britain". What they do is done better locally by Ardkeen Stores and to a lesser extent SuperValu tbh.

Ardkeen stores is expensive af though. Mostly posh people shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I'm not posh, far from it actually and I shop in Ardkeen because I like to buy shop made & local products (especially the fruit & veg) from a local store. Don't mind spending the bit extra to do that.

lol. M&S isn't exactly Lidl either. That's the price bracket they will be operating in and imo they offer both inferior quality and wholly foreign sourced products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

It is expensive but you get what you pay for,compare the free range chicken you get in Ardkeen stores to one you get in Lidl or Aldi or Tesco and the difference is night and day,you pay for quality that's it really,i wouldn't be doing a weekly shop there but i often go in to get a few things and i'd be far from posh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah I always got that vibe when I got a few things there, a real sense of you are nobody unless you live and work on the Dunmore Road or close by. I would rather shop in places where people are salt of the earth and you can have a decent chat with them. There are some absolute insufferable snobby fcuks out in that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Yeah I always got that vibe when I got a few things there, a real sense of you are nobody unless you live and work on the Dunmore Road or close by. I would rather shop in places where people are salt of the earth and you can have a decent chat with them. There are some absolute insufferable snobby fcuks out in that part of town.

Talk about generalising.. I've never got that impression personally and I neither work or live close to the area and never have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

It is expensive but you get what you pay for,compare the free range chicken you get in Ardkeen stores to one you get in Lidl or Aldi or Tesco and the difference is night and day,you pay for quality that's it really,i wouldn't be doing a weekly shop there but i often go in to get a few things and i'd be far from posh!

You haven't bought asparagus there then?

WrOGFAa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Asparagus is way out of season I think. Much netter in late spring. Better off sticking to the Grantstown tomatoes plus some Mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Make a nice salad.

Take the chip of yer shoulder butty. Or rub more salt into that wound if you want to really feel hard done by. I dont live out the Dunmore Road nor do I work there but I go into ASC quite regularly. Its an asset to Waterford always in the list of top shops in Ireland. It has a great range of stuff. And the staff are extra friendly too. Nice coffee. Why not pop in and surprise yourself. Every one needs a treat once in a while :D. Sure some things are expensive but no one is asking you to do the full weekly shop there. As for the snobs you are gonna meet those fellas everywhere you go. Get used to it. If you want to have a decent chat with people then try going to places other than shops :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Asparagus is way out of season I think. Much netter in late spring. Better off sticking to the Grantstown tomatoes plus some Mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Make a nice salad.

Bought while it was in season, May last year. Didn't go back there again after being fleeced like that :)

I don't live out anywhere near it either but like doing the shopping bout that way as Lidl and Aldi next door to each other is handy out.

I'd only really pop in the rare time for a nice cake and the price I pay for it you can sure I stick the nose up in the air walking out with it. Maybe it was me Wanderer2010 encountered?

Relax boy, I'm a ruffian undercover too.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Any idea what unit?

I hear Vero Moda is in the former Eir unit.

Anyone want to buy a city centre shopping centre?

The crowd who bought it before have been selling their Irish assets lately and this is next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Advertisement