Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blurred Lines.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Have you the weather for tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Have you the weather for tomorrow?

Rain. Mr 'CLOUD'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

eternal wrote: »
    Rain.

About as exciting as blurred lines.

About as exciting as blurred lines.

That's a massive settlement and will destroy those well known musicians careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't really think they sound overly similar, tbh. Just a simple bass line and a bit of shouting - is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Don't sound similar at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Listened to the comparison.
    Tbf, i'm not hearing a huge comparison between the tunes.
    Does this mean in future people wont be able to use high hats when recording a tune as to me, thats the main similarity within the two tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can't really see any similarity tbh, fairly harsh decision that

I always thought Pharrell was pretty cool, I wonder what this will do to him.

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Listen to the layered sounds, it is quite similar. The court were played the tracks in this way.

I always thought Pharrell was pretty cool, I wonder what this will do to him.

Don't reckon it will do much tbh, he's on a roll

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's a massive settlement and will destroy those well known musicians careers.

not really

pharell spent 35 million on an after-school center

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Plagiarism infinitum in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Actually it seems Thicke being a bit Thicke admitted to using the song to help create Blurred Lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

What you mean is we are influenced by other people and this happens without us even realising it. Plus you quote without reference hence being plagiarism as was said.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

That song and those who made it deserved something bad to happen to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I guess you could say..
    (•_•)

Thicke by name..
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■

Thicke by nature
    (⌐■_■)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The opening bars with that nifty little drum beat are the same but the rest, melody etc, is completely different

The start of both is similar alright. I think the drum kick kinda thing is apparent but not enough to warrant that amount of money. Didn't Marvin Gaye have some serious knashers though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Most people over a certain age - and in possession of a pair of ears - instantly thought of Got To Give It Up the minute they heard that tune.

Used to have a lot of sympathy for samplers when it was more creative but now it's often just big corporate acts purloining riffs with some lame MCing over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Given the gazillions of hit songs Pharrell had crafted across multiple genres, I think he'll be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't see why such a thing has to be made like this. Surely reading the sheet music will answer the dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

floggg wrote: »
    Given the gazillions of hit songs Pharrell had crafted across multiple genres, I think he'll be good.

How many lawyers are pouring over the songs he has written right now with shazaam hoping to find a misidentified track?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Marvin had more talent in his little finger than these clowns put together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

1997 called and wants its news back

Did you warn them about 9/11?????

Advertisement