Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I saw this last night.

Is it one of those films where only the hero knows the truth, and runs around trying to convince everyone for an hour, but they think he's mad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. There's an earthquake and even in a film like this, everyone cops on quite quickly to what's going on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Your man who knows the answer goes on tv about it, and saves lots of people and everyone is grateful to him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cheesiest quote from Johnson has to be:

"it's been a while since I got you to 2nd base"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This film was so much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Cheesiest quote from Johnson has to be:

"it's been a while since I got you to 2nd base"

that was so good!

wasn't gone on this movie - was kind of bored sh!tless for most of it but the rock was good and the two women were top notch!

Seen this on Saturday night.

Went in with pretty low expectations. Last film I seen before this was Mad Max: Fury Road, which was a bit of a disappointing all-rounder for me, so I wasn't too keen to be stepping into the cinema again in general to be honest.

I have to say, though, I really, really enjoyed San Andreas. It's one of those films that would have been dreadful if it tried to take itself really seriously, but thankfully it seemed that everyone working on it knew it was cheesy as feck, so it does kind of run with it.

Haven't seen the Rock in a film in a long time but he seems to have come a long way. He seems perfectly suited to this kinda role.

There are points in this film, for example, the bit
    where the old chap just happens to be wearing a hat for a flying school, and the flying school is located right beside them conveniently
    that, if it was any other film, I'd get a headache from rolling my eyes, but this film was just so silly and cheesy that it merely added to it.

Also,
    both women had serious juggs!
    which always helps. Haha. Seriously though - I'd highly recommend this film. Definitely one that I dreaded going to, but i'd watch again (and it's very rare that I'd be tempted to watch anything more than once). I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10 if I had to rate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

What this is insistance on calling every 'fun' action movie dumb? Is it so people will think you also appreciate the finer side of film?

I mean FFS! This is an action movie. Plain and simple. A lot of work has gone into it so people will pay for and enjoy it for what it is - an action/disaster movie who's main focus to 'capture' how the event may unfold from a certain perspective.

Going on about 'cheese factor' and how dumb some of these movies are is annoying at this stage.

It's OK to like and enjoy these films without having to insult them as some form of indirect validation of your pallet for cinema.

No_Comply wrote: »
    What this is insistance on calling every 'fun' action movie dumb? Is it so people will think you also appreciate the finer side of film?

I mean FFS! This is an action movie. Plain and simple. A lot of work has gone into it so people will pay for and enjoy it for what it is - an action/disaster movie who's main focus to 'capture' how the event may unfold from a certain perspective.

Going on about 'cheese factor' and how dumb some of these movies are is annoying at this stage.

It's OK to like and enjoy these films without having to insult them as some form of indirect validation of your pallet for cinema.

Can't speak for anyone else of course, but I reckon if this film took itself seriously, as if it was supposed to be some some serious drama, then it'd have been pretty crappy.

I don't think it's an insult for a film to work to it's strengths.

Look at 28 Weeks Later. That's a film with an absurd storyline (zombie outbreak), but it takes itself really seriously. And it works.. for the most part. But there's a part of that film where they try to build suspense, and the outbreak has just began.

There's a bit where there's a child (I think, it's been a while) following a group of people. He walks on his own for a second and the camera changes to show a zombie/infected person standing behind him, ready to tear him apart. Then the camera changes, the child looks around, and the zombie is gone.

It completely takes you right out of the film and in that 3 second scene you've gone from being engrossed in a storyline to realising that you're sitting in a cinema watching a film. It's at that point you start to wonder how long it took them to build the sets, or how many boom operators are required for that scene. It takes you right out of it (or at least, it did, for me).

It takes you a while to get back into things.

Whereas in films like San Andreas, the film knows it's using every cliche it can pick up on, but it's presented in a 'yeah, we know this is silly, but sure why not!' kind of way.

Look at the Expendables. Another film with cheesiness turned all the way up, but the film knows it, so it doesn't even try to make sense. Again, if it was taking itself very seriously, I don't think it'd be as much fun, it'd be more cringey than laugh worthy.

I don't think anyone mentions it in a bad way..?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This film just bounced along nicely. :pac:
    Very entertaining and decent special effects too.

Didn't realise that Alexandra Daddario was Kate in White Collar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The Rock nicked so many vehicles in this, I wonder was calling it San Andreas a knowing sly wink to a certain game series.

Aside from her looks, Daddario is a really good actress, I'm impressed with her and the rest of them had as they had to deliver some fairly bland stuff.
    Was very impressed by how toned down much of the destruction was,
    I was expecting the whole of California to be submerged and the plate underwater by films end

I can't think of much else that was good.
    It's the worst CGI looking film I've seen in a while. It looked cartoony. I almost wonder if scale models would be cheaper and look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

cloud493 wrote: »
    They had the acceptable english accent didn't they sure :pac: BBC english or whatever you call it these days.

Yer man sounded like Lee Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭fluke

No_Comply wrote: »

It's dumb because
    he has means to save people he has a duty to protect, instead he goes and saves his family, no ramifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Best comedy I've seen in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

I thought it was same storyline as the game. I think watching someone play SA while you sit and watch is better than this.
    Total waste of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 french_bloke

Saw it there last night, only two things to say

1: BEWBS (movie guy voice)

2: Camera angles

Worth a viewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was entertaining fluff. A bit too cheesy even compared with other films in the same vein, but the Rock put it a decent show, special effects were good and it was just the perfect 90 minute run time for a movie like this.

I don't think every action movie has to be brainless or dumb by any means but this film is exactly both of those things. It doesn't even pretend to be otherwise to be fair. It's part of the charm.

Nobody considers the words cheese, dumb and brainless synonymous with action films - it just so happens that a great number of productions intentionally embrace those qualities because there is a market for them.

I mean look at Commando - the infallible king of dumb, cheesy action movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

It's a grand disaster movie ,enjoyed it for what it was.
    Actually thought they were going to be really brave at the end of the movie. Would have been interesting if they had gone that way.anyone who has seen it will know what I am referring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Joeface wrote: »
    It's a grand disaster movie ,enjoyed it for what it was.
    Actually thought they were going to be really brave at the end of the movie. Would have been interesting if they had gone that way.anyone who has seen it will know what I am referring too.
    Yeah, I thought that too. I live in hope that, one day, we'll get a movie of this ilk brave enough to do it. It also bugged me at the end that
    all the news reports focussed on the lives saved, not the THOUSANDS who died
    , but whatever, it's par-for-the-course for disaster movies, which I absolutely love despite their flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I liked this and the effects were awesome seriously, but it also felt so much like every other blockbuster about a natural disaster - maybe ive just seen too many though lol

• Advertisement

Absolute tosh but my god was it entertaining.

That CGI flag at the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

It is what is. Entertaining for 10 &11yr olds. Its all action right from the get go so you don't really get to think much about the millions of holes in the story.

6.4 at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Thought the ending was terrible. They should of ended it with them all on a boat going up against the tsunami

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Alexandra D'Addario in an earthquake movie? Best casting decision ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Going to watch this tonight. If its half as fun as 2012, White House Down and the like then I think Im in for a mindless treat.

Oh and looking and the cast there's a magnificant plethora of tits everywhere

4fcd851ab43195ead7bb9a73bc6b2595.jpg

Carla_Gugino_Change_5.jpg

Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The girl who plays Rock's teenage daughter in this is in real life 29, 14 years younger than the Rock 43.

That's about as interesting as anything in this film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I might have started this thread, but I wasn't exactlly in a hurry to see this, and finally did this evening. It's about as original as a monster truck rally. Kylie Minogue was in it for about two minutes before dropping out. Ioan Gruffudd's character does a selfish thing, so you know that he's going to meet a suitably nasty fate, which duly comes to pass. The American Flag is still waving at the end, and the snare drums go rat-a-tat.

However, I got really annoyed by the unrealistic sound design. If you're in a helicopter flying under collapsing buildings, it's not going to be quiet enough to hear breathing. Two guys are able to have a normal conversation as the freakin' Hoover Dam is collapsing under their feet. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the bit I remember is the rock guiding a bunch of people to safety beside the stadium who then presumably get killed in the next scene so was kind of pointless

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Terrible movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest I wasn't expecting a Oscar contender when I watched this. It's a standard brain dead disaster movie with some questionable acting that is eclipsed by over the top special effects. Sure who doesn't enjoy seeing American cities destroyed by various natural disasters :) It was enjoyable but instantly forgettable :)

Advertisement