Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas

Options
  • 11-03-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭

So, who wants to see California get folded, spindled and mutilated by Mother Nature, once again?

Global release date is May 29. Cast is suitably eclectic, including Dwayne Johnson, Alexandra D'Addario, Paul Giamatti, Ioan Gruffudd, Carla Gugino, and Kylie Minogue.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

The Rock, Paul Giamatti, Stuff being destroyed, if there is half a story there, could be a good turn the brain off popcorn flick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Good disaster flicks, bad disaster flicks, I love them all

This is going to be some summer for blockbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

Films like these have to be rated by cheese, I'm hoping for at least a 3 out of 5 slices of cheese rating :pac:

I always preferred playing computer games then watching them!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Duggy747 wrote: »
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train, CJ!"

Films like these have to be rated by cheese, I'm hoping for at least a 3 out of 5 slices of cheese rating :pac:

I actually clicked into this thread thinking it was a film based on the game.
    Seriously disappointed:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Roland Emmerich involved with this in anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

tumblr_nnw40ztg8N1rlb6iho1_500.gif
    tumblr_nnw3zoXM4m1rlb6iho1_500.gif

Movie's looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Movie.....what movie?
    I was, um, distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i this not a copy of the storyline of The Day After Tomorrow and 2012

Disaster happens
    family member missing
    separated father finds son/daughter
    etc etc

ill go see it for the craic.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    i this not a copy of the storyline of The Day After Tomorrow and 2012

Disaster happens
    family member missing
    separated father finds son/daughter
    etc etc

ill go see it for the craic.

I don't think anyone will go into this movie expecting an original masterpiece. It's a big, dumb, action blockbuster and these kinds of movies are simply an enjoyable break from other movies meant to actually be taken seriously...yet we'll probably still have regular people on the internet who think they're movie critics completely dissecting this lol. Movies like this should either be rated as "worth a watch" or "don't bother watching".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This might be a decent one for 3d.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Saw it the other night.

Left my brain at the door. Enjoyed the cheesiness, the destruction, and the real-world statistical impossibly of only good-looking people (and Paul Giamatti) featuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I think its worth a watch. Cheese factor is very high but the special effects were pretty stunning if some of the acting was typical 'american disaster movie'.

Another film where they use the most annoying posh english guys as support. I like the fact they started with the action straight away, not having a 30 minute family history build up to the disaster(s)

Its a good film, definitely worth watching if you leave the brain at home. Made me feel like i was watching a Disney version of Cloverfield and the 3D was a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Is it one of those where only the hero knows the truth, and runs around trying to convince everyone for an hour, but they think he's mad?

Hate that in films.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Thisd was summed up to me perfectly as "a giggle worthy piece of sh!t" and i have to say i agree. Some great set pieces, every disaster movie cliche in the world and cheesiness turned up to 11! It's fun, but I wouldn't be rushing out to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

wowy wrote: »
    Saw it the other night.

Left my brain at the door. Enjoyed the cheesiness, the destruction, and the real-world statistical impossibly of only good-looking people (and Paul Giamatti) featuring.

^^^^ Lol

Charlie19 wrote: »
    This might be a decent one for 3d.

Yeah this is actually one of the only blockbusters this year genuinely filmed in 3D

http://realorfake3d.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'll probably see this for 3 reasons.
    One is Dwayne Johnson, the other two are Alexandra Dadarrio

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've seen the posters for this around and had no idea what it was about based on the posters. For some reason I saw a soldier when I looked at the posters and thought it was another alien invasion film.

• Advertisement

Yeah this is actually one of the only blockbusters this year genuinely filmed in 3D

http://realorfake3d.com

Im on my phone but that looks to be in the fake 3D section.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Goodness me, that was very enjoyable. I mean its absolute ****e like, but the film knows it, and it embraces it, and its all the better for it. Very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from it myself.

have to agree with others. that was alot more fun than i thought it was gonna be.

:D

by no stretch of the imagination a great film , but very good craic for what it is. which is basically a good aul fashioned disaster film that proudly wears its cheese on top, and for once the 3D didnt suck.

visually its lovely to look at on both the CGI and acting front. yer wan from percy jackson sure did grow up nice. havent enjoyed watching a girl swim on screen so much in quite a while , and with carla guigino made a nice distraction for the lads to counter the beefcake factor the rock brings.

:D:D:D

speaking of which dwayne really is a good solid actor for this type of fair. he's a hell of alot better than arnie/stallone/van damme was in their day and shock horror there was actually a very nice touching family story in here for him to get into.

that said what happend to ioan gruffords character was just LOL tastic. seriously i kept wondering what else they could get him to do to get the audience to hate him more so as to justify his end. :D

all things being equal though you get exactly what you'd expect from this type of film.

6.5/10 from me.

and a GOOD one, its not a great film but still very good for what should be a car crash. i reckon dads would have a blast brining their 10yrs olds to this.

You're right, wtf I was fully sure it was under the real column last I checked...welp, I guess that's that, another one to avoid in the format.

More people really need to not support fake 3D films because then studios might put the little extra effort into filming in the format which is when it's actually worth going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Is it one of those films where only the hero knows the truth, and runs around trying to convince everyone for an hour, but they think he's mad?

More people really need to not support fake 3D films because then studios might put the little extra effort into filming in the format which is when it's actually worth going to.

The trailers for the latest installments of both the jurasick park and the Terminator movie franchises looked class in 3D.

San Andreas was ok but I thought the good 3D effects didn't outweigh the occasional blured segments, I'm not sure if this was down to the poor lighting in the cinema as I don't think it was dark enough.

The film itself was a bit of craic and I'd recommend it just for the special effects alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw this last night.

It's a popcorn flick through and through. Divorced, dedicated Dad? Ars*hole Father-in-law? Check. Shoddy attempt at character development for said Dad? Check.

It's a lot of fun though I've no idea how they cast those two English lads. I wonder if that's how most Americans think of the English. Paul Giamatti's great in this as well. The destruction of San Francisco is CGI-heavy yet a pleasure to watch. It's so daft and over the top that I was in stitches for a lot of it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I saw this last night.

It's a popcorn flick through and through. Divorced, dedicated Dad? Ars*hole Father-in-law? Check. Shoddy attempt at character development for said Dad? Check.

It's a lot of fun though I've no idea how they cast those two English lads. I wonder if that's how most Americans think of the English. Paul Giamatti's great in this as well. The destruction of San Francisco is CGI-heavy yet a pleasure to watch. It's so daft and over the top that I was in stitches for a lot of it.

They had the acceptable english accent didn't they sure :pac: BBC english or whatever you call it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cloud493 wrote: »
    They had the acceptable english accent didn't they sure :pac: BBC english or whatever you call it these days.

They sounded like they belonged on the set of Downton Abbey. It could be that the producers knew what this was and just decided to crank up the cheese.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement