Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Van driver fined €500 for running over and killing nun'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

What an awful tragedy. Very sad for everyone involved.

That headline is disgusting. Also, it seems to me that the picture they chose seems to paint the poor driver in a bad light as well. He is squinting in the sun but it almost looks like he is sneering or winking. If you look close enough you can see the pain in his eyes, but it's as if they tried to make him look as bad as they possibly could. I can just imagine the vultures standing around the table going through a pile of photos they'd taken of him, trying to find the one that best reflects their "juicy" headline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The driver must always give way to whoever has the right of way, and once a pedestrian steps out they have right of way.

Well what kind of a screwed up rule is that?

Does it go back to the days of asses and carts or what?

Or maybe the times when car drivers had to follow some health and safety jobsworth walking in front of them with a red flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

The driver must always give way to whoever has the right of way, and once a pedestrian steps out they have right of way.
    Then why bother with lights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A controlled junction is not a junction???

A junction is a junction with or without traffic lights/pedestrian lights, its a junction.

Just because it has lights, you don't ignore the rules of the road.

That isn't right.

I've spent a while going through my quoted posts to find this;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86455332&postcount=16

A response I got, because i mistakenly thought the same thing.

It contains a link to the following

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46

Which states

(2) A pedestrian facing a traffic light lamp which shows a red light shall not proceed beyond that light.

(5) At a road junction where traffic is controlled either by traffic lights or by a member of the Garda Síochána, a pedestrian shall cross the roadway only when traffic going in the direction in which the pedestrian intends to cross is permitted (by the lights or the member) to proceed.

Pedestrians do not have right of way, wherever they choose to cross the road.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

"If I truly believe in the lord Jesus as i step into this traffic, he will protect me from dange...." *thwap*

Flippant as my example might seem, it highlights that there's a little more to it than that.

• Advertisement

Several years ago my brother was driving along a dual carriage way at night when a guy ran a cross the road in front of him. He hit the guy causing very serious injury. The guy ended up in a wheelchair.
    It took a year to come to court and my brother was cleared of any wrong doing. The incident was caught on a traffic camera.
    They guy took a civil case for damages which was also thrown out.
    That was in the UK. Am sure if this incident happened in the UK, there would be no fine and no conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Disgraceful headline from the Indo demonising a decent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Several years ago my brother was driving along a dual carriage way at night when a guy ran a cross the road in front of him. He hit the guy causing very serious injury. The guy ended up in a wheelchair.
    It took a year to come to court and my brother was cleared of any wrong doing. The incident was caught on a traffic camera.
    That was in the UK. Am sure if this incident happened in the UK, there would be no fine and no conviction.

Yes, because the UK has generally sensible judges. Unlike us.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In this case though, the man plead guilty to the charge. Did your brother plead guilty?

The Judges decision here was fair IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In this case though, the man plead guilty to the charge. Did your brother plead guilty?

The Judges decision here was fair IMO.

It reads like he was led by the Garda's comments to plead guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the moment she stepped out, she had the right of way. I wonder was it his admission of guilt, or the above that drew the conclusion of 'failure of observation'.

Either way its a horrihle thing to live with.
    I rarely ask anyone to back up their statements, but can you point me to legislation which makes this so?

No such thing as a right of way in road laws. You've a license to proceed with caution. Bit of a wierd way of making sure it's a bit of everyones fault when things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Is running over a nun worse than running over a normal person ? Don't get the title.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

cronin_j wrote: »
    I'm sorry but im calling this as bull****, a Judge is there to serve the laws of Ireland, not fine someone to make them feel better. If he wanted to do that he should have gave him the number of a councillor.

Ah, you know what, we can't all be as tough and macho as you. You have all the answers.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

mike_ie wrote: »
    Found guilty in a court of law because he looks like he wants to feel guilty?

Well what was he found guilty of that has everyone up in arms?

Egginacup wrote: »
    Well what was he found guilty of that has everyone up in arms?

He wasnt determined to be guilty. He wrongfully pleaded it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do get the impression the man was fairly overcome with guilt over the incident. He may have misremembered how much attention he took away from the road to look at the green light, memory is a fickle thing.

Hopefully he moves on for this, sounds likes he's been punished plenty.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement