Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Van driver fined €500 for running over and killing nun'

Options
  • 10-03-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/van-driver-fined-500-for-running-over-and-killing-nun-70-31054656.html

When I saw the headline, I couldn't believe it... but reading the facts, I feel for the poor driver here.
    The nun walked out on the road, with no green pedestrian light.
    The driver wasn't going above the limit.
    Perhaps he could have reacted quicker, but the nun didn't seem right at all.
    No doubt he has suffered huge emotional turmoil after this.

As expected, it's a pretty poorly written and bad headline by the indo...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Looks like a nice guy, very sad for him as he has to live with that.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If anything, the driver shouldn't have been fined €500. Poor man was obeying every rule of the road, and the nun walked straight out in front of him in complete disregard to pedestrian lights and traffic.

I'm not sure how looking at the green light in the moments before the accident was deemed to be a "failure of observation". NOT looking at the light to check if he had right of way would be a failure of observation, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I feel bad for the guy; obviously it's not nice that someone died, but shouldn't there be a case for reckless walking? Perhaps she wasn't in her right mind, but plenty of pedestrians saunter out in front of traffic without a care in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

If someone steps out onto the road without a care in the world, how is it always the drivers fault?

You need eight eyes while driving, two on the front, two on the back, two on either side of your head and its still not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

So because he didn't see her he gets fined €500. Can someone explain this to me? How has this been his fault? The judge mentioned disqualification even (Even if he didn't disqualify him, it was still on the cards)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Unfortunately this kind of thing happens now and then and it's no-one's fault, just a horrible stupid accident. Be careful out there, kids. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

That man has done nothing wrong and this will take him along time to get over if ever,
    What has been achieved by giving him a 500 fine on top ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If I was yer man who killed the nun I would sue the independent for that headline, makes him sound like a criminal who got away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

jimgoose wrote: »
    Unfortunately this kind of thing happens now and then and it's no-one's fault, just a horrible stupid accident. Be careful out there, kids. :(

er.... from reading it, its completely the nuns fault

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a stupid decision. If it was the drivers fault, a 500 euro fine would be an insult, if it wasn't the drivers fault, then the fine and judgement against him is an injustice.

How do these judges get to the position they are in when they seem to lack any judgement skills

• Advertisement

er.... from reading it, its completely the nuns fault

"...Sheehy was looking at the green light in the moments before the accident and had made a “failure of observation” to see Sr Power..."

Not completely. Pedestrians do stupid things. Elderly nuns do even stupider things. As I said, it was a horrible accident, and she's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Akrasia wrote: »
    How do these judges get to the position they are in when they seem to lack any judgement skills

In fairness, it's Martin Nolan. He's made plenty of questionable decisions.

Jesus that's awful :(

The poor fella. Bad enough that he has to live with seeing the image of knocking someone down who completely ignored the red light, but he's at a financial loss on top of it?

That's bloody sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

He probably thought she was a zebra crossing

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Jesus that's awful :(

The poor fella. Bad enough that he has to live with seeing the image of knocking someone down who completely ignored the red light, but he's at a financial loss on top of it?

That's bloody sickening.

Indeed. It's not so much the money that bothers me (I'm sure the man doesn't care right now whether it's €5 or €5000), but rather it's the idea it's going to put in his head for the rest of his life - always dwelling on the fact that 'well if they fined me then maybe there was something I could have done to prevent it'. Not right to do that to a person in circumstances like that IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

mike_ie wrote: »
    If anything, the driver shouldn't have been fined €500. Poor man was obeying every rule of the road, and the nun walked straight out in front of him in complete disregard to pedestrian lights and traffic.

I'm not sure how looking at the green light in the moments before the accident was deemed to be a "failure of observation". NOT looking at the light to check if he had right of way would be a failure of observation, surely?

The failure of observation is not seeing her walking out in front of the traffic.

As a road user you have responsibility to be watchful for those things.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    The failure of observation is not seeing her walking out in front of the traffic.

Officer: What colour was the light when you approached it?
    Driver: I have no idea, I was looking at the road....
    Officer: So you weren't paying attention to the relevant traffic signals then?!

Officer: What colour was the light when you approached it?
    Driver: It was green - I distinctly remember looking up at it as I approached it.
    Officer: So you weren't paying attention to the road in front of you then?!

It's seemingly all too easy to point the finger at the driver of the van, because he was the one with the vehicle. But the failure of observation here was the nun's - failure to observe the red pedestrian light, failure to observe the big van coming towards her, failure to observe what every other witness observed before the incident - that she was about to get killed if she didn't take care.

Drivers have a responsibility to be watchful for potential hazards. But so do pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Nuns must think they are invincible. I witnessed one driving through a red light almost knocking down a school child. I stood screaming at her while she gave out to the child!! She claimed her light was green. It most definitely was not. After effing her out of it she left, the poor child was left looking green after it.

The woman was a road user too and failed to take proper precautions, she failed to obey the rules of the road which resulted directly in her death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i can't believe he is only 43.
    looks loads older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The article does not mention the age of the deceased nun.
    I wonder was her age the cause of her walking out in front of the van?
    She might have been elderly and not tuned in.

The article does not mention the age of the deceased nun.
    I wonder was her age the cause of her walking out in front of the van?
    She might have been elderly and not tuned in.

It says she was 70, not that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

arayess wrote: »
    i can't believe he is only 43.
    looks loads older.

I'd imagine an incident like this would take a few years from you...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

There should be jaywalking fines in this country.

There's fines for drivers and cyclists, why not pedestrians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

The woman was a road user too and failed to take proper precautions, she failed to obey the rules of the road which resulted directly in her death.

And I'm sure everyone knows that it was her fault. No body is disputing that. my point was that road users have a responsibility to watch out for things like this. I agree they shouldn't have to but thing is they do.

One thing I hate about cycling through the city is having to watch for people walking out onto the road, but I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That article is quite the roller coaster. Headline makes out that someone got away with a €500 fine for murdering someone. Then we find out it was an accident that was mostly the nuns fault and now we can rage about the driver being convicted over someone else mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Unfortunately, the moment she stepped out, she had the right of way. I wonder was it his admission of guilt, or the above that drew the conclusion of 'failure of observation'.

Either way its a horrihle thing to live with.

And I'm sure everyone knows that it was her fault. No body is disputing that. my point was that road users have a responsibility to watch out for things like this. I agree they shouldn't have to but thing is they do.

One thing I hate about cycling through the city is having to watch for people walking out onto the road, but I have to.

If everybody knows that it's her fault then the driver should not have been fined.

I agree that we need to take responsibility to observe the road we are using, of course we do - it goes without saying but it's absolutely impossible to see every single thing at all times and as such everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions so when someone else's recklessness causes an accident like this, the other party should not be blamed.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the moment she stepped out, she had the right of way.

I rarely ask anyone to back up their statements, but can you point me to legislation which makes this so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trust the Indo to sensationalise the whole tragic accident. Blackards.

Advertisement