Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

71 council workers in Dublin council alone made claims last year

Options
  • 10-03-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭

Where to begin with this?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-council-paid-out-8m-in-personal-injury-claims-in-2014-1.2132511
    Separately, the council paid more than €617,000 for staff injury claims. However, an analysis of figures for the previous two years suggests the final account for employee claims last year will be considerably higher.

In 2012, concerning claims made by 61 council workers, 53 claims were settled and more than €1.26 million was spent. In 2013, 62 claims were made but only 49 were paid. But they cost €1.51 million.

Last year the number of claims increased to 71. By the end of the year 23 had been settled, at a cost of €617,325.

71 claims by DCC employees in one year.

I happened to see the council digging up the side of the road at Belmayne today and I couldn't help but notice the 5 or 6 workers just standing there doing nothing chatting with presumably one doing something in the hole that was dug. Not exactly putting themselves in harms way no matter how hi-vis their jackets are.

This is only Dublin council - I wonder what the claim figure is nationwide.

I think taxpayers have a right to ask questions about this because it does not seem right that there can be 71 claims in one council alone in one year.

We are paying for it. I'm not sure you could go as far as saying a co-ordinated scam is taking place but it would not take much leap of the imagination to come to that conclusion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

ti's fierce dishonest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I happened to see the council digging up the side of the road at Belmayne today and I couldn't help but notice the 5 or 6 workers just standing there doing nothing chatting with presumably one doing something in the hole that was dug. Not exactly putting themselves in harms way no matter how hi-vis their jackets are.

I'm not sure you could go as far as saying a co-ordinated scam is taking place but it would not take much leap of the imagination to come to that conclusion.

It's more of a leap to dismiss 71 cases based on observing 5 seconds of looking at workmen standing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's more of a leap to dismiss 71 cases based on observing 5 seconds of looking at workmen standing around.

Naive much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

It's more of a leap

Leap like what frogs do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not fit for the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I happened to see the council digging up the side of the road at Belmayne today and I couldn't help but notice the 5 or 6 workers just standing there doing nothing chatting with presumably one doing something in the hole that was dug.

That would be right. There will be a WHS Supervisor, a Fire Safety Supervisor, a Confined Spaces Supervisor, a Materials Safety Supervisor, an On Site Accounts Manager and a Project Manager. Administration is a vital an important part of doing this work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Work for 20 years or limp for 1....no brainer. Only fools and horses work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

CabanSail wrote: »
    That would be right. There will be a WHS Supervisor, a Fire Safety Supervisor, a Confined Spaces Supervisor, a Materials Safety Supervisor, an On Site Accounts Manager and a Project Manager. Administration is a vital an important part of doing this work.

Yup - and the mug gets the shovvel..and the claim...all's well that ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Breastfeeding shovels is hazardous work, apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

G'way with your informed opinion. There was a sale on for pitchforks last week and I've been waiting to use mine ever since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

You forgot to put in your figures to show that this is above/below average comparable to other workforces. 71 per year per total council staff and compare this as a proportion to other public and private work forces in ireland and internationally. When we have those statistics we'll know whether the council worker is more or less litigious/accident prone/ dishonest than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

even with all these safety guys the organisation is still shipping more than one claim per week...that sounds like...a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Lazy Fcukers. If there was work in the bed they wud lie on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

This is an internet discussion board where the OP started a thread about public service workers, this is no place for your logic and reason you big commie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think most right thinking people would find it a bit odd that 71 employees of DCC would launch claims in a single year.

I think I and every other worker is entitled to an answer as to where and how these injuries occurred. I think it's bullsh!t and something else is going on. Attack me all you like.

DCC workers are of course the most upstanding and honest individuals you will ever meet - trouble is I don't actually believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well some of them construction sites look mighty unsafe frankly. Wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think most right thinking people would find it a bit odd that 71 employees of DCC would launch claims in a single year.

I think I and every other worker is entitled to an answer as to where and how these injuries occurred. I think it's bullsh!t and something else is going on. Attack me all you like.

DCC workers are of course the most upstanding and honest individuals you will ever meet - trouble is I don't actually believe that.

Anyone with the temerity to try to defend the taxpayer will always get a rough ride here K.

Thems the facts, lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

71 last year :eek:

My hinky meter is ringing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Miall108 wrote: »
    Lazy Fcukers. If there was work in the bed they wud lie on the floor

haha l like that expression ! I'll be using it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

7.7 million paid out to the public.
    Why are you concentrating on the 617,000 paid for workplace injuries?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Thread needs more clichés about council workers resting on shovels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

More gold from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Where to begin with this?

71 claims by DCC employees in one year.

I love the sensationalism in the article "over 1,200 staff and public"

over 1,200 claims......71 were staff and of course they are the problem

the other 1,100 not an issue apparently.

If council workers out cleaning our streets get stuck with a needle or workers get injured while at work ....sure they should just suck it up and get on with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I think most right thinking people would ask 71 out of how many employees. Without that information the number is entirely meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

What has their health and safety department to say about this?

or are they all out injured too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think most right thinking people would ask 71 out of how many employees. Without that information the number is entirely meaningless.

I couldn't find an exact figure but it is about 5,000-6,000 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

How many were there the year before, and the year before that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they used to hide in those red and white coloured tents drinking tea and finishing at 3.30pm if i remember correctly

Advertisement