Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Pov06 wrote: »
    The amount of fluid that leaked out wouldn't contaminate anything. Think about it - the drum was off so there's no brake fluid on the drum. The shoes are to both sides of the cylinder so when it leaks the fluid runs straight down onto the ground :)

It would be a different story if the cylinder seals were ruined and it was leaking whilst driving... This wasn't the case as it only leaked when I took it apart.
    That makes sense, sorry I thought you were driving it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The 90's Camry will have to go once the insurance is up and no one will touch it anymore.
    What kind of loading would "undercover garda vehicle used in pursuits" buy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got my 08-16 insurance disc. Turns out my insurer for this year is Axa, not Asgard. Weird, because Axa directly quoted me €800 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

GvidoR wrote: »
    Got my 08-16 insurance disc. Turns out my insurer for this year is Axa, not Asgard. Weird, because Axa directly quoted me €800 more.

Broker quotes are usually completely different when you go directly, no surprise there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Je suis tres mal

Broker quotes are usually completely different when you go directly, no surprise there.

Often there are times when direct insurance won't quote but they will through brokers.
    The mind boggles so it does.

• Advertisement

Often there are times when direct insurance won't quote but they will through brokers.
    The mind boggles so it does.

Yeah because generally they don't have strict criteria like the company itself.

Allianz wouldn't quote be a few years back because my car was too old (this was said to be my the operator on the phone).

I got a quote from Allianz through First Ireland a year later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Speaking of unmarked cars, the most odd ones I've seen (all in Dublin):

- 2007 Volvo S60 T5 (Black)
    - 2008 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Black)
    - 2008 BMW X5 3.0sd (Black)
    - 2005 BMW E90 330i (Silver)
    - 2005 Subaru Forester (Dark Blue)
    - 2002 Audi A4 (Black)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Sobanek wrote: »
    Speaking of unmarked cars, the most odd ones I've seen (all in Dublin):

- 2007 Volvo S60 T5 (Black)
    - 2008 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Black)
    - 2008 BMW X5 3.0sd (Black)
    - 2005 BMW E90 330i (Silver)
    - 2005 Subaru Forester (Dark Blue)
    - 2002 Audi A4 (Black)

There also used to be an old mk2 Gold Punto from Mountjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Je suis tres mal

Yup I saw that driving around phibsboro back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

morritty wrote: »
    ...Gvidor? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

pmsl tea everywhere :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

morritty wrote: »

Remember the white 98 TN Punto that used to knock about years ago used by detectives? Comedy to watch for the unsuspecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

20150805_143923_zpsi2tjip5p.jpg

And that's how you spend €220 on fuel in 6 days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Mert thread going down like a lead balloon.

/forever alone

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Apparently this beauty landed in the country today

11221509_820414804722481_6967889739686238947_n.jpg?oh=c29bc349499b6811b33d89b2e00323e6&oe=564B11FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Why do you need a pin to tax a car!!!!

I would have 100% no issue with someone identity thieving me to tax my car.

Why do you need a pin to tax a car!!!!

I would have 100% no issue with someone identity thieving me to tax my car.

Because the card company could void the payment once they realise a credit card is stolen and you would be able to keep your tax disc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Just came through a checkpoint in Ballincollig for tax insurance etc. They had about 4 or 5 cars pulled in and was a recovery truck too taking them away. No harm at all! I thought it was an accident so I actually drove past the guard! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

11817214_10153104832233214_2090704729691247873_n.jpg?oh=e13b139820bf2941f285989fca3f2e68&oe=5682E88A

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Just came through a checkpoint in Ballincollig for tax insurance etc. They had about 4 or 5 cars pulled in and was a recovery truck too taking them away. No harm at all! I thought it was an accident so I actually drove past the guard! :p

I honestly can't even remember the last time I drove through a checkpoint and that's with me commuting to university through Dublin city centre!

I bet the moment I run out of tax I will run into one though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I honestly can't even remember the last time I drove through a checkpoint and that's with me commuting to university through Dublin city centre!

I bet the moment I run out of tax I will run into one though :pac:

Is probably about 4 months since i've seen a checkpoint and at that time you'd see them quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

And that's how you spend €220 on fuel in 6 days :pac:

Please tell me that that trip is not representative of the actual distance you covered to spend 220 euro on fuel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mert thread going down like a lead balloon.

/forever alone

Took me ages to figure out you meant meet!

're checkpoints I've passed four the past three weeks, was one off the m1 in dundalk which allegedly is there to check for illegal immigrants. There must have been twenty cops at it

I sped merrily home secure in the knowledge they were too busy there to be speed checking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

CIP4 wrote: »
    Please tell me that that trip is not representative of the actual distance you covered to spend 220 euro on fuel.

I can tell you it is, have much the same engine and that is easily achievable with a slightly heavy foot.
    That's the joys of it :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

YbFocus wrote: »
    I can tell you it is, have much the same engine and that is easily achievable with a slightly heavy foot.

I'm doing so much work mileage lately that I don't count anymore :) mpg is not that bad though.

Have 750 miles to do next week

Stheno wrote: »
    Took me ages to figure out you meant meet!

're checkpoints I've passed four the past three weeks, was one off the m1 in dundalk which allegedly is there to check for illegal immigrants. There must have been twenty cops at it

I sped merrily home secure in the knowledge they were too busy there to be speed checking :pac:

I got pulled over at a checkpoint 3 weeks ago at about 1am in Kilkenny I was dropping some drunk family home. Garda made me pull down the window and had a good chat no doubt to check if I was drinking myself. He also checked my tax insurance nct.

Working it out extremely roughly in my head that's 20 mpg. I suppose if you were driving it on that's possible I'd like to think you would get 30mpg driving easy I suppose auto doesnt help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I would get that mileage as well, not that I ever spent that much on petrol in a week but if I done that many miles it would cost me roughly €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Working it out extremely roughly in my head that's 20 mpg. I suppose if you were driving it on that's possible I'd like to think you would get 30mpg driving easy I suppose auto doesnt help either.

I'm a manual 2.5.
    Driving it on sees 19, not driving it on sees 27 or so.
    But that is granny spec stuff and never happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement