Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orphanage The Hague

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Can somebody post a picture of The Orphanage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

BD45 wrote: »
    Why are people proud of drunk, drugged up losers giving Irish people a bad name in the Netherlands?

I hate that myself. I've a lot of respect for the Dutch and their country.

I also worked for FTS, Was Tom Hillary picked me up at Schiphol in 1999. Did any of ye know Vinny from Galway.

I also worked for FTS, Was Tom Hillary picked me up at Schiphol in 1999. Did any of ye know Vinny from Galway.

Tom Hillary was actually a fair man, no I don't think I met Vinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deedeepat

I was visiting my brother in Schevenigen and having had one too many in the Kickaboo before catching the flight home (which we missed ) we ended up in the Ophanage , crazy experience, this was early 90s one of the lads was going out with the bar maid from the kickaboo I think they called her mad Mary , she was tiny , my brother worked for Icds and his name was Gerry Brogan I think they called him the black dub , he sadly passed away last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ernieb17

i met him a few times with tom and and another fella with dark skin and strong dublin accent.lived in the nerkada in den haag in 1999.good times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LorneMalvo

Obvious recent situation we all find ourselves in making me think back to more fun times.... and meat packing factory stories reminded me of some of the (many, many) crappier jobs have done before.... and when I was the 'immigrant worker' 😬

This came up in a search..... brought back some old memories! Spent a summer in Netherlands in late 90's, with FTS. Had no money, couldn't afford J1/flights to US ..... Netherlands it was.....loved it! Haha..... was never in the Orphanage (wasn't based in Den Haag, more Nord Holland..... 1st Job too far f*cking North!).... but a lot of general sentiment about that time, in that country, with that company, very familiar ðŸ˜

Doesn't seem to be something that happens so much anymore since the 90's...... The Irish heading to Netherlands (or rest of Europe) for these types of jobs & experiences. Of course I realise the 'celtic tiger' main reason for that 😬 But any older folk like me have any fond memories of those times when we did ? Whether it be in the slight 'madness' that was Netherlands for vegetable (or worse, bulb picking) season or anywhere else 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3 claireyfairy

i lived in The Orphanage around 1999

first I worked for FTS in andijk in a bulb factory then went to Den Haag and worked in a glass house.

was a mad place I remember some of the people well. Sharon and Spud. The girls from Bray Margaret and a red haired girl. The mad lads from Waterford Trevor and his friend.

it was the accommodation provided and we slept on mattresses the pace was in ruins.

Nice one @claireyfairy. This is all part of the lesser know Irish Migrations stories. Thanks for your input !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I'm so curious about this place. I lived in the Hague for a couple of years in the early 2000s and heard whispers about it, for some reason I have it in my head that it was around Spui? Dark skin and a Dublin accent- was that the guy that had The Shillelaigh pub on the Javastraat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a massive thread about this squat on Boards from back in the day when boards had a users base. Use the search function

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I really cant find where it was I have checked google maps but haven’t seen it. I do remember there were black metal railings outside it and it was back off the footpath a bit as there was a driveway as you walked up to building

can’t find another thread what did you search?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Lived out of a caravan in Noordwijkerhout in 1996 for a summer. The warehouse parties that started at midnight and ended when the Dutch police arrived at 10am on Sunday morning - I don't think anyone that hasn't been there can criticise or comment. Madness. The pinnacle was Dance Valley - and it was a bit strange having tickets to get in to an event with security.

Advertisement