Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orphanage The Hague

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

6541 wrote: »
    Someone should do a documentary on this. There is a massive story to be told.

I imagine that would contain a fair amount of sage nodding, middle-aged men proclaiming that they were "great times" and photographs of yoked up idlers in Ajax or Ireland football jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Yeah it was edgy alright. But think about it how cool was it to have a Squat in a foreign country dedicated to Irish folks.

If I started the same thread about a squat in Dublin? Changed the group involved to Roma for example?

Yeah, muchos respect for getting an organised squat on the go. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

You will have to root out them photo's. Does FTS still exist I wonder, ultimate cowboys !
    Indeed they were!

Fitzwilliam Executive Search Ltd v Bestuur van het Landelijk instituut sociale verzekeringen

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:61997CJ0202

I have the photos printed out somewhere (because that's that way things were done in those days!)>probably in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

What a summer. Torture and mutilation, the IRA, wanton drug abuse.
    I'll tell you how I spent the summer of 2000. Working in a hiking and adventure sports chalet in Chamonix. I'd say my memories are rather more lucid and enjoyable than yours. I didn't have to be 'yoked off my face' either.

I believe we share ages, in which case you were in the process of passing your Secondary school entrance exam, no?

I believe we share ages, in which case you were in the process of passing your Secondary school entrance exam, no?

:pac::pac::pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

inforfun wrote: »
    Use its official name: 's Gravenhage.

Why?

Nobody calls it that, not even the locals over there.

Den Haag is more commonly used

So as an English speaker, on an English language thread, I'll call it by its English name and leave the pedantry to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Autosport wrote: »
    I was living there for a few months ( 2014-2015) and the Irish are still there along with other nationalities. it's a great city with plenty of establishments that the Irish frequent ;). The Dutch like their raves and parties.

The Hague is a fucking kip. Even the red light district there is dire

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lapin wrote: »
    Why?

So as an English speaker, on an English language thread, I'll call it by its English name and leave the pedantry to you.
    I think inforfun is Dutch, but even then I've never, ever heard a Dutch person call it by that name, it's only used for official purposes in documents etc. The same goes for 's-Hertogenbosch which is always called Den Bosch by the locals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I imagine that would contain a fair amount of sage nodding, middle-aged men proclaiming that they were "great times" and photographs of yoked up idlers in Ajax or Ireland football jerseys.

Ajax shirt in The Hague?
    I would advise strongly against that.
    Why?

Calm down.... it was a joke.

Next up would have been 's Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have vague memories of spending a few nights in a squat there, an irish bar filled with scarily tough irish lads who looked after me and made sure I didn't die! It was more a drinking and smoking weed time than yokes etc for me and my mates anyway. The irish bar was ran by a guy called Tom from Galway!. Knuckles was a popular game in there...This would have been early 90,s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Auldloon wrote: »
    I have vague memories of spending a few nights in a squat there, an irish bar filled with scarily tough irish lads who looked after me and made sure I didn't die! It was more a drinking and smoking weed time than yokes etc for me and my mates anyway. The irish bar was ran by a guy called Tom from Galway!. Knuckles was a popular game in there...This would have been early 90,s.

You got it Tom Hillary (FTS) and his daughter worked the bar. Tough but sound.
    That's my point the Irish really looked after each other. They had no choice as it was tough as fook out there.
    I saw a guy getting stabbed down from the Poteen, i called it in to the cops, 7 cop cars must have came into the area, while we were giving this guy CPR. It was a tough place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I had finished my 2nd year in Trinity at the time. If we share ages and you were still in secondary school in 2000 then you had to repeat a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

You got it Tom Hillary (FTS) and his daughter worked the bar. Tough but sound.
    That's my point the Irish really looked after each other. They had no choice as it was tough as fook out there.
    I saw a guy getting stabbed down from the Poteen, i called it in to the cops, 7 cop cars must have came into the area, while we were giving this guy CPR. It was a tough place to live.
    Tom Hillary, that's the man. He was as you say sound.Did you know a guy who drank in there went by the name Mick Tipp???? I only knew him for a few days but I'd guess he was one of the toughest guys I've ever met. One of the guys I was travelling with at the time was a relative of Tom's, I ended up meeting all the family while I was there. Good times, I must have been bout 20 then and no I'm not grey yet don't have an earring or a soul patch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I'll tell you how I spent the summer of 2000. Working in a hiking and adventure sports chalet in Chamonix. I'd say my memories are rather more lucid and enjoyable than yours. I didn't have to be 'yoked off my face' either.

You remind me of the Brummie Harry Enfield character from around that time, considerably richer than you

Auldloon wrote: »
    Tom Hillary, that's the man. He was as you say sound.Did you know a guy who drank in there went by the name Mick Tipp???? I only knew him for a few days but I'd guess he was one of the toughest guys I've ever met. One of the guys I was travelling with at the time was a relative of Tom's, I ended up meeting all the family while I was there. Good times, I must have been bout 20 then and no I'm not grey yet don't have an earring or a soul patch!

No I Didn't know him, but I have been in some hard places in my time and that pub was hard, nobody messed with the Irish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jaysis, that's the little mountainy hippy-commune where the Mont Blanc tunnel starts, isn't it. We probably saw each other that Summer - I was the big thick-looking fella in black full-armour on the Honda ST1100. I wasn't yoked off my face either, then again I suspect I am Considerably Older (and Faster!) Than You. :pac:

So my last story of Irish in The Hague, I knew another chap, boozed off his mind, decided to go and get cigarettes on his bicycle. Cycling down the road and collides with a parked BMW. Goes straight through the back windscreen. A crowd gather around, he actually kicks out whats remaining of the back window and runs off into the sunset !
    The Irish in The Hague - Nice Lads !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

Why are people proud of drunk, drugged up losers giving Irish people a bad name in the Netherlands?

BD45 wrote: »
    Why are people proud of drunk, drugged up losers giving Irish people a bad name in the Netherlands?

Not proud at all, but it was a very unique situation, before Australia and Bondi, there was The Hague, a squat called the Orphanage, the Kickaboo (pooteen still)
    FDS, IRCDS and thousands of crazed Irish. Its actually history and needs telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What the hell is FDS?

Also, that place seems like a pretty unique moment in time. Don't think you have to necessarily condone actions or behaviour to be fascinated by it.

I wonder does Von Bismarck wander over to the History thread now and then to make snide comments when people discuss the Romans and their particular brand of craziness?

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    What the hell is FDS?

Also, that place seems like a pretty unique moment in time. Don't think you have to necessarily condone actions or behaviour to be fascinated by it.

I wonder does Von Bismarck wander over to the History thread now and then to make snide comments when people discuss the Romans and their particular brand of craziness?

FDS FTS was a company that brought people over from Ireland, got them jobs, accommodation all bills paid for

Fitzwilliam Technical Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

BD45 wrote: »

Was it not the same when the Irish went to New York, Five points, dead rabbits, etc only difference is the ones in New York stayed there :-) :-) :-)

We got work out of this massive flower auction place south of the city. Bloomingveilinginginjinjinjin or something like that it was called. .....

All aboard the little train, It's lunchtime! :pac:

realies wrote: »
    Was it not the same when the Irish went to New York, Five points, dead rabbits, etc only difference is the ones in New York stayed there :-) :-) :-)

It was I guess, unusual to have such an amount of Irish in a non-English speaking country. I always thoughts that FTS were a front for the IRA or at least some sort of criminals. I had no proof but they were so connected it was unreal, houses around Europe and contracts everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I stayed there after doing a summer cuttin lettuce with fts and in the arsehole of know where. free flights free accomodation in a poxy caravan. nothin wrong with it when ure 18.

i remember an Irish girl in the hostel tellin me she got arrested there and they took her passport and she was a heroin addict that couldnt get back to Ireland because of it. (sry bout the wording)
    so many irish met their downfall over there. I remember 1 fella had aids and he couldnt go home cause his family were to ashamed of him, died there too. so sad when u think of it.
    id love to know how that poor girl is.
    1 thing i do remeber was they looked out for me there i remeber guys tellin me nott to leave my stuff in particular places etc etc, scary tho.

jesus thanks for bringing those memories back to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

The Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish.

Bunch of redneck try-hards I'd say. Like those 2 eejits from Bansha ended up filled full of self expanding foam in 2000.

Thread is a bit cringe tbf.

The Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish the Irish.

Bunch of redneck try-hards I'd say. Like those 2 eejits from Bansha ended up filled full of self expanding foam in 2000.

Thread is a bit cringe tbf.

Its a story that needs to be told, I agree a lot of People met there Waterloo over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

As some one mentioned Den Hagg, Munich etc ... were the Australia of the early 90's.

The Eurolines Bus all the way to Holland for 30 pound one way.

Spent a season camping on Monster beach camp site about 10kms from Den Hagg. Working the green houses or for one horrendous fortnight the concrete. Summer of 95 now that I remember it. Hottest summer in a long time for a lot of Europe. 6am to 2pm in the greenhouse. 2pm to 6pm on the beach smoking dope and drinking grolsh looking at young ones sunbathing topless which was a big deal for a 19 year old west of Ireland lad.

Friday evening into Den Hagg with the pay packet, off the face on yokes listening to heavy industrial techno at clubs and squat parties and all struggle home at some point one by one on Sunday.

Nostalgic for sure and something I'm smiling about now but in hindsight of the eight of us that went over two ended up with serious issues with heroin. Just didn't know where to draw the line. Thankfully both on the straight and narrow now.

If my lads come into me in a few years and say their off to Holland for the summer I think I'd chain them to the bed posts before Id let them go

mitresize5 wrote: »
    As some one mentioned Den Hagg, Munich etc ... were the Australia of the early 90's.

The Eurolines Bus all the way to Holland for 30 pound one way.

Spent a season camping on Monster beach camp site about 10kms from Den Hagg. Working the green houses or for one horrendous fortnight the concrete. Summer of 95 now that I remember it. Hottest summer in a long time for a lot of Europe. 6am to 2pm in the greenhouse. 2pm to 6pm on the beach smoking dope and drinking grolsh looking at young ones sunbathing topless which was a big deal for a 19 year old west of Ireland lad.

Friday evening into Den Hagg with the pay packet, off the face on yokes listening to heavy industrial techno at clubs and squat parties and all struggle home at some point one by one on Sunday.

Nostalgic for sure and something I'm smiling about now but in hindsight of the eight of us that went over two ended up with serious issues with heroin. Just didn't know where to draw the line. Thankfully both on the straight and narrow now.

If my lads come into me in a few years and say their off to Holland for the summer I think I'd chain them to the bed posts before Id let them go

it was serious alright. Drugs were a big part of it and destroyed many people. i actually don't really like Holland and generally if someone suggested a stag or whatever there i would be like no, I am okay I have done my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

No Den Haag but spent a summer (99?) in Noordwijlk working the bulb factories living on a campsite. Bedlam barely describes it.

Can't remember the agency but I remember they held 50% of your pay until you finished. I believe they made a fair rake of cash off the sort of binlids who got deported (there were a few) or simply cracked and headed home in a rush.

Campsite flooded a fair few times based on the wet Dutch summer, proximity to canals etc. Nothing like coming home wasted after a shift packing bulbs, only to see your tent and belongings floating about in a field.

And no, it's fair to say that some of the Irish (mostly from Belfast, Derry and border areas) did not have a great name over there. We were kind of the exception in that we had either just finished universirty of were finished and off to do a post graduate. There were some serious scrotes; fights, shoplifting and other anti-social nonsense. Saw a few lads from Derry hospitalised with burns after trying to light a gas stove inside a small two man tent. Saw someone rip half their face off after trying to ride a bike on acid. There was a local gang of dealers who kicked several shades of shyte out of a few of the irish, there were some squaddies who appeared at the local bar (Scotch Bar) the odd time. Usually off their tits protesting that they weren't bad people. Teenagers, early 20's on yokes mostly.

Really, carnage. Still, it was worth it as on Sat am after payday it was straight into Amsterdam to return back to camp in absolute bits on Sunday morning. 24 hours of madness every weekend.

Nearly killed me. Would not repeat, some fond (not sure how!) memories though.

As I understand it now, most of those jobs are taken up by lower wage workers from eastern and central europe. I know a few lads who went back for the winter season, but the snuck off in the middle of the night after their first week as it was basically a prison camp!

Advertisement