Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many friends have you got?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

So it's the hot topic of our time, mental health and also loneliness. Both contributing to suicide rate in the country imo. I think this might be due to lack of real good friends, and people being able to be open with one another. What do ye think? How many friends have you got?

How many friends have you got? 113 votes

15+
    0% 0 votes
    10+
    11% 13 votes
    5+
    10% 12 votes
    2+
    34% 39 votes
    Just one
    33% 38 votes
    I haven't a friend in the world (You've got a friend in me)
    9% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

c_man wrote: »
    So it's the hot topic of our time, mental health and also loneliness. Both contributing to suicide rate in the country imo. I think this might be due to lack of real good friends, and people being able to be open with one another. What do ye think? How many friends have you got?

Very few less than five but I value them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Do facebook friends count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Stheno wrote: »
    Very few less than five but I value them

Same as. Easy these days with us all moving around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Do facebook friends count?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've got a hundred and four friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does a sock puppet count?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've got a hundred and four friends.

Well, I have 100 cows...Wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

A handful of friends and an abundance of drinking buddies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

No.

Twitter followers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

c_man wrote: »

I don't know.

More good friends than I used to have, yet recently realised that I'm not quite sure who I'd turn to if needed in a crisis.

But this was much more about me, and the fact that although I live with mental health problems, I put so much effort every day into 'being ok', living the best life I can despite it, etc... it's hard for me to reach out and be vulnerable, also may feel like I'm being a burden, afraid to worry people, etc.

So it is more about my own stuff than them not being good friends.

Glad that I've probably more genuinely good friends than I did years ago though, just a pity not enough of them live locally to me.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    Twitter followers?
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If by 'friend' you mean someone I owe money to then about 53 I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Well, lets just say my friends situation is the opposite of what J-Lo's money situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hmm... Twelfty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Depends what you mean by friend.

I would say there are nine people in my life who I could call on any time of the day or night, and they would be there for me, excluding family members.

In two cases, I'm including my friends' girlfriends, who I would consider equally close friends. Maybe that's double-counting.

The friendships range from one-year-old to 12-years-old. I would like to have remained close friends with primary-school friends but it just hasn't happened. Most of them are abroad, and one of them became nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Excluding family, 8 very close /hardcore friends but I know some other very decent people like neighbours and football friends that I can rely on if I needed them - which I have before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

3 close friends
    20+ friends (social)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

One.

Say 'ello to ma liddle fren'!

conorh91 wrote: »
    Most of them are abroad, and one of them became nuts.

one of them 'became nuts' in what way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

None

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Define the meaning of a friend?

I'm not being awkward or obtuse but I think "friend" might mean different things to people.

For me a friend is someone who doesn't judge, but will still tell you the truth in a nice way. A person who will be silent when you need that space but will be talkative when you need to talk, a person who knows when to do both.

A friend is someone who doesn't talk behind your back but will tell you that your so called friends are "bitching" about you.

Just a few thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Probably 2 or 3. Tops. Loads of pals, but I wouldn't count on them to tow me out of a ditch with a dead body in the boot and not judge me badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Does friends with benefits count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

All my friends are dead

Out of interest, those saying 'none' are you being serious?

It's sad if people genuinely feel that they have no friends, but honestly not sure if it's AH banter etc... sorry thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I have i'd say maybe four friends that i'd do absolutely anything for and vice versa.
    I very recently had to turn to a friend of mine who I would always be there for but didn't know if he'd ever really be there if I needed him.. I put him in a very scary situation and he came through for me when I needed him the most. I'd take one of him over twenty friends any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Zero, same as last time this question was asked, but I'd hope a few people I work with might go to my funeral and a few people I used to work with will say"ahh shame", before going back to discussing what happened in eastenders last night.

And don't feel sad, I don't.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many people consider me their friend. Sometimes it's not reciprocated.
    Out of interest, those saying 'none' are you being serious?

There have been times when i have been pretty close.

I think I would rather have more people who knew I was their friend and that I was a good friend.

Advertisement