Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Women's Day 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

YFlyer wrote: »
    Pauling.

Sorry, should have said 2 different fields of science, edited.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I wonder how is its being celebrating in muslim countries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

YFlyer wrote: »
    Any random day.

November 19th is the actual answer :)

I wonder how is its being celebrating in muslim countries

They get to show a bit of their fringe

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

They made us recognise this in work on Friday, initially I was pissed off by having something political forced upon us, but I decided to get into the spirit. So I spent the day gossiping and thinking about dresses.

In fairness I did my part. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

They made us recognise this in work on Friday, initially I was pissed off by having something political forced upon us, but I decided to get into the spirit. So I spent the day gossiping and thinking about dresses.

In fairness I did my part. :cool:

While recognising that's what it often is, I'm wondering does it need to be something political at all though? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm all for the day in principle, but for the love of god, no more fcuking inspirational sisterhood and/or strong woman pics on Facebook.

Please.

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm all for the day in principle, but for the love of god, no more fcuking inspirational sisterhood and/or strong woman pics on Facebook.

Please.

sh1tebook / smugbook is terrible for that kind of thing. we can look forward soon to all the 'thank you mummy, you are so wonderful' vomit inducing statuses, quotes, pictures etc very soon.... so.... eh.... yay :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

anncoates wrote: »

Please.

May I add to the above banlist, all inspirational tunes by Etta James, Nina Simone, Marlena Shaw, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hillary Clinton would definitely be top of that list, followed closely by far too many to mention.

(couple of Boardsies too! :o)

The women I work with on a daily basis who have overcome so much in their own lives and don't seek any praise for having overcome their own personal difficulties. They don't see their achievements as great things, but I do :)

Hilary Clinton ?? really ?

Why ? she's a bullying ballbreaker -

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Zippie84 wrote: »
    Oh and for my part, I'm not someone who would be the type of person to list famous people doing amazing things on a wide platform, who already get so much recognition.

I'm continually inspired everyday much more by 'ordinary' women overcoming difficult life situations, women who make an amazing difference in others' life, but who don't get a fraction of the recognition they deserve.

I'm thinking particularly of a couple of female friends who have experienced very painful life situations, but are such wonderful people, and who bring such joy to my life, and inspire me more than any famous person ever could.

This. I think normal folk don't get enough credit.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    This. I think normal folk don't get enough credit.

Agreed. Cos in reality it's those people who often make the most difference in 'ordinary' people's lives, and people's lives often most affected and has the most impact on by those who they know personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So, who are the women who inspire you?

Nuala O Faolain
    Professor Kathleen Lynch
    Louise Bayliss
    Christina Noble
    Rosaleen McDonagh
    Siobhan O Donoghue
    Suzy Byrne
    Louise Hannon
    Links234

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

"The cure for poverty has a name, in fact. It's called the empowerment of women. If you give women some control over the rate at which they reproduce, if you give them some say, take them off the animal cycle of reproduction to which nature and some religious doctrine condemns them, and then if you throw in a handful of seeds, the floor of everything in that village, not just poverty, but education, health, and optimism, will rise." - Christopher Hitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hilary Clinton ?? really ?

Why ? she's a bullying ballbreaker -

Well if you read about her achievements -

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Rodham_Clinton

Ballbreaker?

Certainly (it's one of the qualities I admire about her!)

Bully?

Ehhh, not so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

s8n wrote: »
    you were out buying him a new birthday suit ??

:eek::eek:

seriously - No thanks for this post ??:confused::confused:

Advertisement