Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Women's Day 2015

Options
  • 08-03-2015 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Bit late since the day is nearly over, but hey ho.

Hope it's not a duplicate, but couldn't see anything anywhere else.

Today was International Women's Day: International Women's Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.

So, who are the women who inspire you?

Who are the women in your life who have achieved great things and should be celebrated?

If you're a woman, what are your achievements that should be celebrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My mother. I was working today though so I might just honour her next Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

When is International Men's Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

random1337 wrote: »
    When is international Men's day?
    November. 19th. Google has more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

19th November.

Baby Jane wrote: »

Yep. Google is pretty awesome for finding out stuff isn't it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Michael D let off some balloons I saw on the News.

Should do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

I wasn't implying anything, I was just simply inquiring.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who cares in relation to this thread?

Anyway I was out with the bf today checking out suits for his birthday, he got a right slagging in the shop getting fancy clothes bought for him on women's day

Women I admire are some of those in my industry IT who have made a difference

I wasn't implying anything, I was just simply inquiring.

I look forward to coming back on November 19th if someone posts a thread and celebrate the many amazing men I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I knew tae was a bit lax this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Liz Murray.

They made a film about her called Homeless to Harvard (available at all good tube sites).

What I like about her is that she never blamed anyone else, for anything, even though she had lots of reasons to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

So that's why my period was early.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Zippie84 wrote: »

Hillary Clinton would definitely be top of that list, followed closely by far too many to mention.

(couple of Boardsies too! :o)

Who are the women in your life who have achieved great things and should be celebrated?

The women I work with on a daily basis who have overcome so much in their own lives and don't seek any praise for having overcome their own personal difficulties. They don't see their achievements as great things, but I do :)

Bit late since the day is nearly over, but hey ho.

Hope it's not a duplicate, but couldn't see anything anywhere else.

Today was International Women's Day: International Women's Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.

If you're a woman, what are your achievements that should be celebrated?

Oh and for my part, I'm not someone who would be the type of person to list famous people doing amazing things on a wide platform, who already get so much recognition.

I'm continually inspired everyday much more by 'ordinary' women overcoming difficult life situations, women who make an amazing difference in others' life, but who don't get a fraction of the recognition they deserve.

I'm thinking particularly of a couple of female friends who have experienced very painful life situations, but are such wonderful people, and who bring such joy to my life, and inspire me more than any famous person ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Hedy Lamarr.
    Incredible mathematician who invented frequency hopping technology still used in WIFI today.
    Also happened to be an iconic Hollywood actress. Because why the fook not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Stheno wrote: »

Anyway I was out with the bf today checking out suits for his birthday, he got a right slagging in the shop getting fancy clothes bought for him on women's day

you were out buying him a new birthday suit ??

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I watched a documentary on Cuman na mBan, the prominent role women had in the Rising, War and following Civil War. and then how they were screwed over. Worth checking out if on the TG4 player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Yeah, great story. Very inspirational. She was sleeping on park benches while completing the equivalent of the leaving cert, and still excelled in it.

Yeah, great story. Very inspirational. She was sleeping on park benches while completing the equivalent of the leaving cert, and still excelled in it.

Watching it now, but only been half paying attention as I'm tired, going to go back to it tomorrow and give it the attention it deserves.

Love Ted Talks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just a pity that it happened to fall on the same day as "National I don't give a fcuk day"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

s8n wrote: »
    you were out buying him a new birthday suit ??

:eek::eek:

Yes the current one is too old saggy and wrinkly :d

mfceiling wrote: »
    Just a pity that it happened to fall on the same day as "National I don't give a fcuk day"

Isn't that actually April 22nd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Dora - she inspires people to follow their dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Watching it now, but only been half paying attention as I'm tired, going to go back to it tomorrow and give it the attention it deserves.

Love Ted Talks!

Watch Homeless to Harvard first. Spoilers in her talks ;)

My gran is my biggest inspiration. She's lived through some dark times and still has the smiliest face and most positive attitude in the world. If I have a fraction of her spirit when I get to her age, I'll be a very lucky person.

My mum is pretty inspiring, professionally. She's been to places and worked in areas that most people would count themselves lucky to never see, just to help people.

Any women put their hands up and say they're inspired by themselves?

(this makes sense to me)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Marie Curie, only person to have 2 nobel prizes in different fields of science (Physics and Chemistry) and was ultimately killed by her devotion to her work.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Ronda Rousey. Some woman to break an arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any random day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Marie Curie, only person to have 2 nobel prizes in different fields (Physics and Chemistry) and was ultimately killed by her devotion to her work.

Pauling.

Advertisement