Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh see that is exactly the kinda of **** and yes I said it, that will get you nowhere in life..

I am sorry but that kinda of attitude really annoys me..

If for example you say, you have worked wow a whole 10mins overtime in work, and you are being paid min wage. You will get no where in life if you have an attitude like the one you just stated... Would you prefer to make an kid feel crap for your 10mins or even if it was half an hour, sod it kids are innocent fine maybe the parent should have taken them in earlier but that isn't the kids fault.

Pet hate of mine is someone who say's well I am not smiling or being all jolly jolly or doing my job properly, because well I don't get paid enough or I don't like my job.. Tough **** it is your job, and if you are working directly with customers you put on the happy face and you make it pleasant for them. If you want to a job that is perfect then go out and get it but don't give out about it while your on your way there, otherwise you will never get there..

Phew ok rant over.

That's very unfair to the employee. McDonald's do pay for overtime, but that is besides the point when it's being forced upon the employee. Where you're working minimum wage, maybe a bit higher, for a multi-billion dollar company, franchise or not, it should not be your responsibility to make up for shortcomings of management trying to save a few extra quid by not having extra staff available.
    I agree with the pleasantry side, however that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 taytoRking?

If there was a sign, it's your fault OP. You disappointed your child by not getting them there on time.

If there was no sign, it's Macdonald's fault.

However, if they apologised and offered a free meal and icecream as compensation I think that's fair enough really. You missed out on a free service, they offer you a service you have to pay for. Sounds alright to me.

Perhaps the employee had transport waiting for her, perhaps she had other duties to perform getting off shift. Yes, your expectations should have been managed better but I think a free meal is a fair gesture on their part.

NB. Am not a McDonalds fan, don't like their product or some of their business practises but in this case I think the sight of a tired crying daughter is skewing your perspective.

There was no sign....

I didnt take the offer because i decided i would not set foot there again....The biggest problem i had was that the reply i got started with " there is no excuse for what happened your child, but" ..... that was what annoyed me, as i said before, the child was sitting, drawing at the fun table and only came to eat her food, when she returned to the table she was told she couldnt get her face painted.... i know people are making out that she is spoiled or we are bad, but the manager should have either said sorry, it should not have happened and it wont happen again to a child in this restaurant, but he finished his apology with a but, and continued with the employee worked 10mins over her time.... i didnt want an excuse and didnt want free food, i can easily pay my own way.... the child was not tired and did not cry until she was refused her face painting....far from a child who demands and gets what she wants......

• Registered Users Posts: 35 taytoRking?

kc90 wrote: »
    That's very unfair to the employee. McDonald's do pay for overtime, but that is besides the point when it's being forced upon the employee. Where you're working minimum wage, maybe a bit higher, for a multi-billion dollar company, franchise or not, it should not be your responsibility to make up for shortcomings of management trying to save a few extra quid by not having extra staff available.
    I agree with the pleasantry side, however that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

I do agree with you on it being a management problem, but i also agree that no matter how much you earn, you should do your job to the best of your ability...working in a place that attracts kids you need to be that little bit nicer i think.... if it was me and i genuinely couldnt stay, i'd have told the parent with the kid...im really sorry but i have to go....not a NO THIS IS MY LAST ONE.... a big difference.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

There was no sign....

I didnt take the offer because i decided i would not set foot there again....The biggest problem i had was that the reply i got started with " there is no excuse for what happened your child, but" ..... that was what annoyed me, as i said before, the child was sitting, drawing at the fun table and only came to eat her food, when she returned to the table she was told she couldnt get her face painted.... i know people are making out that she is spoiled or we are bad, but the manager should have either said sorry, it should not have happened and it wont happen again to a child in this restaurant, but he finished his apology with a but, and continued with the employee worked 10mins over her time.... i didnt want an excuse and didnt want free food, i can easily pay my own way.... the child was not tired and did not cry until she was refused her face painting....far from a child who demands and gets what she wants......

There wasn't anything to apologise for.

"Oh sorry, it won't happen again to a child in our restaurant"... We already have our employee working overtime...line them all up. Would that keep you satisfied?

I'm wondering who the spoilt brat is, the parent or the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I do agree with you on it being a management problem, but i also agree that no matter how much you earn, you should do your job to the best of your ability...working in a place that attracts kids you need to be that little bit nicer i think.... if it was me and i genuinely couldnt stay, i'd have told the parent with the kid...im really sorry but i have to go....not a NO THIS IS MY LAST ONE.... a big difference.....

Did they shout it the way you used CAPS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Milly33 wrote: »
    I am sorry but that kinda of attitude really annoys me for example you say, you have worked wow a whole 10mins overtime in work, and you are being paid min wage. You will get no where in life if you have an attitude like the one you just stated...

Pet hate of mine is someone who say's well I am not smiling or being all jolly jolly or doing my job properly, because well I don't get paid enough or I don't like my job.. Tough **** it is your job, and if you are working directly with customers you put on the happy face and you make it pleasant for them. If you want to a job that is perfect then go out and get it but don't give out about it while your on your way there, otherwise you will never get there..

What a load of entitled nonsense. She was off the clock and was therefore under absolutely no obligation to continue painting faces; who knows what appointments she could've had waiting? The point is that all of us have a finite amount of time - your being "The Customer" doesn't render your time more valuable than hers. Especially if she's past finished her shift and said customer has arrived after the finish time. (Also I wouldn't blame her for not setting the world alight with fervent zeal for her crappy, menial, low paid McJob).

Another thing; people in this thread are saying sure it'd only take another 30 seconds to paint OPs child's face. Me bollocks. She stayed on an extra 10 mins. Even if it took 2 minutes each she'd have painted an extra 5 faces overtime already, in which case I certainly wouldn't hold it against her for calling it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I really feel sorry for this child, not because she didn't have her face painted but because her parents are bringing her up with such a horrible attitude. It was in no way the fault of the employee and 100% the fault of the parents who seem to believe that 'the customer is always right' and people should just bend to their will.
    Get real op, you were eating in McDonald's, one of the lowest priced eating establishments you could've brought your kids to and yet you expect 5 star service?
    I bet they had a good laugh at the idiot who couldn't tell the time in that McDonald's and only offered you the free meal cos they felt sorry for your child having to deal with your attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Have to say, I agree with all the people saying mcdonalds have done nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Such a load of rubbish. You would be complaining no matter what they said. Any reasonable parent would have accepted it, and move on.

If you start a thread on it, presumably you expected most posters to join in your dismay. Perhaps on reflection, it might be a valuable lesson learned, although more for the parent than child in this case. But I'm guessing its still everyone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Tearin It Up & Shadylou - please refrain from personal attacks on the OP

@moleyv - Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Right - I am closing this thread. There have been some good contributions here, but a lot of posters have simply attacked the OP. As the forum moderator, I'm embarrassed by the quality of posts in this thread. And no amount of warnings and infractions have managed to reign in the attacks.

OP - please feel free to contact one of the moderator team if you want this thread re-opened.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement