Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds

Options

Comments

Sounds like a non-issue to me. Worker clocked off when they were supposed to. The face painter was probably there longer than s/he was supposed to be, anyway.

To be honest, the most surprising part of this, to me, is that McDonald's offered you free food. It sounds like they're apologizing, yet haven't really done anything wrong (in my eyes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How do you know that the last kid whose face she painted was one she had to stay on for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How do you know that the last kid whose face she painted was one she had to stay on for

Moot point considering he/she was supposed to be finished, doesnt matter whether there was one, two or twenty two people in a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Moot point considering he/she was supposed to be finished, doesnt matter whether there was one, two or twenty two people in a queue.

Well actually it does, a queue should not be allowed form where the customers will be not be served, this is a common form of contempt for customers and is entirely unacceptable.

But in this case, this did not happen, as far as I can see.

In any situation where people do one thing with the promise of something else to follow, it should be clear to them what time they have available to complete this without them having to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out. There is too often a situation where the staff are all too clear on the timings involved but there is minimum effort to convey the information to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 taytoRking?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What time of day this this occur? Most Fundays are advertised as running from 12-6pm.

We were in the restaurant just before 5:30 and the kids were all painting.... again she finished painting and had her food it was just after 6pm....i understand people have shifts, my point really was advertise when it finishes and if kids are already involved in the funday, then just saying no is wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

modern irish parenting - "My child is so important and cant be upset"

They are a multi billion dollar operation and they don't give a flying <SNIP> about your child. Cop the hell on, maybe your kid will grow up to appreciate that now and be all the better for it, it might be too late for you I'm afraid.

As for the poor employee painting faces, give them a break, they're only trying to earn a crust, who's kid do you think they should disappoint instead, the one after yours or the one after that? You think I would be best if you could choose?

Let's asume that you're not that bad of a person to feed mcDs to a 1 year old, how the hell do you spend 36eur on a five year old and yourself?

i brought food back for a brother and a friend who asked me to get them food when they rang me for something different

Ehhh, no we're not my friend, many lower paid workers within sectors such as retail and hospitality are paid by the shift, they dont get paid for staying on after hours.

.............................McDonalds do..........................

TheChizler wrote: »
    OP honestly what did you expect the manager to do here? The child was told in advance that they wouldn't be able to get it done, but it seems like the adults involved wouldn't accept this. You can't always have everything your way, something every child needs to learn.

Maybe you should read what i said first...... she was told when she went to the girl to get her face done after being there for over half an hour colouring at the table they set up for the kids to colour and get painted....

when my partner went up to ask the employee, she said this girl is my last one....

just for the record, she was the last kid at the table plus if we knew they wouldnt paint her face just after 6pm then we would have got it done before 6pm...but as i said she was already involved with the activities there, so we thought she was ok....

Look all..... i understand people clock off work... it was badly done and yes we explained to the child and didnt make a fuss...i thought they could have handled it a lot better when it comes to a child...

and anyone else who tells me we are bad parents because we bring a child to McD's.....HE WHO HASNT SINNED AND ALL THAT !!!!! we dont spend our money on drink and fags like 40% of parents in Ireland......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

i dont know why you made a big deal over it, face painting took place ye missed out its not a big deal now you have scored yourself free stuff off them and are still not happy. your comment on spending money on drink and fags is bizarre as if your justifying yourself. on a side not the young girl doing the face painting is more than likely on minimum wage and paid by the hour and now has probably been spoken to by management so well done on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

The op is being ridiculous, if the funday finishes at 6 and getting her face painted is as important to their childs happiness as they seem to be making it sound, then it was their responsibility to make sure it was done before 6. It's very lazy parenting to blame others for things like this and then to attack others parenting suggesting they drink and smoke.
    I feel sorry for the employees having to put up with entitled idiots like the op. If getting the childs face painted was as essential as they have made out ( and it must be as they expected the manager to phone them and apologise for an employee working past their shift but not long enough to please the op) then they should've made sure that it was done on time

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So a 5 year old throwing a tantrum over not getting a face painting followed by a adult throwing a tantrum over a face painting

Terrible stuff indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Only 21% of the population smoke and nowhere is it indicated that 40% of parents do!!!

Your child missed out on face painting; minor inconvenience. She probably cried out of tiredness, common in the evening for small kids. The staff member probably had to get a bus or something.

All this thread has done is advertised mcds fundays imho. I'm a non-drinking or smoking parent how come I never knew about this!!

Eta: why am I being reminded of roald Dahls verruca salt here with the golden goose egg!! Ummmmm choccccclat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a bit off topic, but just to say it's not just with this stuff that McDonald's abruptly stop.

a while back I was in a queue behind 3 people, and the staff member waited til taking the order from the last person ahead of me before telling me she was closing the till and wouldn't serve me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 yumyum10

Maybe if you brought child up earlier instead of the last second they would have gotten their face. Your blaming McDonalds because you waited till the last second? Palmface

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

We recently brought a one and 5yr old to McDonalds on their so called "FUNDAY". Our 5yr old was enjoying colouring when we took her from the table to eat her food. After she finished her food she returned to get her face painted and the McDonalds employee told a 5yr old girl that the child before her would be her last. Her mother went up and again was told that she couldn't get her face painted. The end result??? A 5yr old girl leaving McDonalds crying.. Their customer service was terrible and when the manager did email(not even a phone call) he made excuses about the employee working 10mins past her shift. His solution??? bring the girl in and remind us, we'll give her a happy meal and icecream.....

I went every week without fail as a treat, spent just under 36euro that day, but will never return again... I wonder have McDonalds made it so so much that they would rather lose a weekly customer for years than to have thought of a better way to resolve what happened and to at least make us feel like they gave a damn about our kid.... for the record her mother took all of about 30 seconds to draw 2 love hearts on her face when we got home....

€36 for McDonalds for a 1 yr old, a 5 yr old and presumably 2 adults............what in gods name did you buy and who are you treating??? Bad form to complain when someone is finished work. If this is the only disappointment your daughter has to face then she's doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Kinet1c wrote: »
    This is the first of many disappointments your children will experience throughout their respective lives. You should use it as a learning experience for the eldest.

Looks like the parent needs to learn it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The quality of advice and posting in this thread since my warning last night has frankly shocked me. There is a huge lack of courtesy and respect being exhibited here between posters. If there is ONE more uncivil/off-topic post, then I am closing this thread.

bluemartin & ben.schlomo infracted for failing to heed moderator instruction.

taytoRking? & Sam Mc warned for failing to stay civil.

Numerous off-topic posts deleted

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes ye are a bit harsh alright lads... Hate this excuse that well they have to stop because they aren't paid enough and blah blah. In fairness would you do this to a kid, hell no... Some people just don't give a hoot, shame shame.. Some of the Mcie D's are better than the others I would make a nice complaint to the manager and avoid..

I know we have one here in Cork that is just a disaster and in fairness its pre made fast food. You cant get it wrong and they so do, bunch of muppets in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We recently brought a one and 5yr old to McDonalds on their so called "FUNDAY". Our 5yr old was enjoying colouring when we took her from the table to eat her food. After she finished her food she returned to get her face painted and the McDonalds employee told a 5yr old girl that the child before her would be her last. Her mother went up and again was told that she couldn't get her face painted. The end result??? A 5yr old girl leaving McDonalds crying.. Their customer service was terrible and when the manager did email(not even a phone call) he made excuses about the employee working 10mins past her shift. His solution??? bring the girl in and remind us, we'll give her a happy meal and icecream.....
    Maybe you should read what i said first...... she was told when she went to the girl to get her face done after being there for over half an hour colouring at the table they set up for the kids to colour and get painted....

I did read what you said, what have I got wrong?

What would you have expected the manager to do in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Milly33 wrote: »
    Jes ye are a bit harsh alright lads... Hate this excuse that well they have to stop because they aren't paid enough and blah blah. In fairness would you do this to a kid, hell no... Some people just don't give a hoot, shame shame.. Some of the Mcie D's are better than the others I would make a nice complaint to the manager and avoid..

I know we have one here in Cork that is just a disaster and in fairness its pre made fast food. You cant get it wrong and they so do, bunch of muppets in there

Would we do it? Yup, I would.

I've worked in a place similar to McD's. You get paid for your set hours. Nothing more.

She was already past her shift. The child was late, considering it was after 6 and it finishes at 6. Mum or dad could have easily sent her over earlier, in the half hour she was colouring.

If I'm working for minimum wage, and risk a queue forming, when I'm already working past my paid time, I'd get up and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh see that is exactly the kinda of **** and yes I said it, that will get you nowhere in life..

I am sorry but that kinda of attitude really annoys me..

If for example you say, you have worked wow a whole 10mins overtime in work, and you are being paid min wage. You will get no where in life if you have an attitude like the one you just stated... Would you prefer to make an kid feel crap for your 10mins or even if it was half an hour, sod it kids are innocent fine maybe the parent should have taken them in earlier but that isn't the kids fault.

Pet hate of mine is someone who say's well I am not smiling or being all jolly jolly or doing my job properly, because well I don't get paid enough or I don't like my job.. Tough **** it is your job, and if you are working directly with customers you put on the happy face and you make it pleasant for them. If you want to a job that is perfect then go out and get it but don't give out about it while your on your way there, otherwise you will never get there..

Phew ok rant over.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I wasn't going to reply to this thread again because when I did yesterday, I approached it from the personal point of view rather than from purely a consumer point of view (too long posting in forums focused on the personal), so apologies to the local mods for my part in that.

OP, it's unfortunate that your child was upset at not getting her face painted, but looking at the various FUNDAY events advertised online, all of the ones I've come across do specify a cutoff time of 6pm, and I would imagine the the one you attended would be no different. While it's also unfortunate that they didn't have a sign stating that face painting would be finished at 6pm, you had been in Mcdonalds from 5:30, and I think that most people walking into McDonalds that late in the evening would (a) be surprised that FUNDAY was still on that late in the day, and (b) would have had some expectation that it would be over very soon.

It's also worth bearing in mind that for at least some of these events, the face painters/entertainers involved aren't McDonalds employees, but are contracted in for the day, and as such, it's not just a case of sticking around for half an hour and clocking out then. Nor is it a case of a McDonalds manager being able to turn to them to say that we want you to stick around for another half hour. At some stage it has to end, and if they've been there from 12-6pm, then I think it's not unreasonable of them to call it a day.

It sounds like bad luck, more than anything else. You wanted your children to have an enjoyable day out, as any parent would. You had a half hour window of opportunity while the face painters were there, and unfortunately you didn't approach them in time. And McDonalds dealt with it in a professional manner - they offered you a free meal in the future for something they really weren't responsible for.

If it were me, I'd look at it as a lesson learned, and nothing more. A sign on McDonalds part may have meant that none of this would have happened. But equally so would have a question on your part, asking them how long was the face-painter going to be around for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

when my partner went up to ask the employee, she said this girl is my last one....

just for the record, she was the last kid at the table plus if we knew they wouldnt paint her face just after 6pm then we would have got it done before 6pm...but as i said she was already involved with the activities there, so we thought she was ok....

I think you have answered your own issue in this paragraph. "So we thought she was ok". McDonalds have not done anything wrong. You made a wrong assumption. I think McDonalds have been more than kind to you with the free meal/icecream offer when really they are not at fault.

To be honest I can't really see the point of the thread. Mc Donalds cannot turn back time, and even if they could they did nothing wrong. (and this is coming from a person who is not a McDonalds fan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Oh see that is exactly the kinda of **** and yes I said it, that will get you nowhere in life..

If for example you say, you have worked wow a whole 10mins overtime in work, and you are being paid min wage. You will get no where in life if you have an attitude like the one you just stated... Would you prefer to make an kid feel crap for your 10mins or even if it was half an hour, sod it kids are innocent fine maybe the parent should have taken them in earlier but that isn't the kids fault.

Pet hate of mine is someone who say's well I am not smiling or being all jolly jolly or doing my job properly, because well I don't get paid enough or I don't like my job.. Tough **** it is your job, and if you are working directly with customers you put on the happy face and you make it pleasant for them. If you want to a job that is perfect then go out and get it but don't give out about it while your on your way there, otherwise you will never get there..

Phew ok rant over.

That's funny, because I've gone from minimum wage assistant in a fast food place like McDonald's, to area manager of a small-iah sales company in 3 years. I still don't do unpaid overtime.

I do always smile and make conversation, though.

I still want to know what the OP feels would be an "acceptable" resolution?! I'm baffled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If there was a sign, it's your fault OP. You disappointed your child by not getting them there on time.

If there was no sign, it's Macdonald's fault.

However, if they apologised and offered a free meal and icecream as compensation I think that's fair enough really. You missed out on a free service, they offer you a service you have to pay for. Sounds alright to me.

Perhaps the employee had transport waiting for her, perhaps she had other duties to perform getting off shift. Yes, your expectations should have been managed better but I think a free meal is a fair gesture on their part.

NB. Am not a McDonalds fan, don't like their product or some of their business practises but in this case I think the sight of a tired crying daughter is skewing your perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Phew ok rant over.

I do get your point but equally we know nothing about the girl who was doing the face-painting. Maybe her kids were in a crech/childcare and needed to be picked up. Maybe she had a bus to get. We do not know her circumastances so I do think that it is unfair to say that she chose to leave and left a child feeling like crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement