Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6mm for vermin

Options
  • 07-03-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi thinking of getting a 6mmbr for long range vermin control does any one know if the psni will give you a 6mm in n.ireland for this.
    thanks stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I assume your asking about northern ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

aaakev wrote: »
    I assume your asking about northern ireland?

you dont need to assume, he stated that as a fact..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't see why not.

The NI application is very much like our own, to the point it seems more like our system than the UK. The one big similarity with the UK is the person is licensed, not the firearm.

You must be a resident of NI. You need the same criteria as here which includes but is not limited to:
    • Application form
    • Photos
    • Details of gun
    • Medical waiver
    • Referees (2) and they're fairly strict about who you can use
    • Dealer's letter showing sale of gun
    • Club memebrship
    • Land permission (only one needed and this covers all rifle caliber)

You submit it to the PSNI firearms and explosives branch, they do a check on you, then send out their version of a CPO (Crime Prevention Officer) who'll check security measures, and other details. Then the application is processed.

While all the above pertains to the application process everything i can see says once you fulfill these criteria it seems caliber is not an issue. I believe in the UK they check the land, and see if it's suitable, but that is only what i heard having never gone through the application process in either jurisdiction.

From the PSNI website ................
    Rifles (all calibres). You only need to supply one authority to shoot over land.

................. and a link to help you check.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

lakesider wrote: »
    you dont need to assume, he stated that as a fact..

Haha just read the op again, never copped the n....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

stephentri wrote: »
    hi thinking of getting a 6mmbr for long range vermin control does any one know if the psni will give you a 6mm in n.ireland for this.
    thanks stephen

a 22-250 will be max in my experience, the PSNI wont condition a deer calibre for vermin...know several lads who tried and failed..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stephentri

I have a 6.5 x55 for deer only. And a 223 for vermin but would like to give up the 223 for a 6mm br but for some reason the psni won't give 6mm for vermin but in the rest of the UK you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

You won't get a 6mm for vermin but you could get a 22 br but you would have to reload the ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stephentri

zeissman wrote: »
    You won't get a 6mm for vermin but you could get a 22 br but you would have to reload the ammo

Yes I looked into a 22 br I would have to get 6mm br brass and neck it down or I could get a fast twist 22-250 and shoot 75 grain a-max both would do the job. What I like about the 6mm br is it's a lot easier on barrels and can handle a heavier bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

stephentri wrote: »
    Yes I looked into a 22 br I would have to get 6mm br brass and neck it down or I could get a fast twist 22-250 and shoot 75 grain a-max both would do the job. What I like about the 6mm br is it's a lot easier on barrels and can handle a heavier bullet
    You should go and talk to your firearms officer about it.
    If you are in a target club you could say you want a dual purpose rifle for targets and vermin.
    If you only want it for vermin the 22 br would be excellent.
    My mate has a 22-250 with a 1/8 twist custom barrel and it is really accurate with 80 grain bergers and 75 grain amax. It also shoots the lighter bullets very well.
    If you cant get the 6mm the 22br would be excellent. It burns less powder than the 22-250 so barrel life should be better.

Advertisement