Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Handicaps

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Alright, last day.

County Hurdle

The ground has gone and the rain was still falling until an hour ago. We should find somethiing that won't be inconvenienced by the easing ground.

I'm looking to Aso from Venteia Williams yard. Theres no doubt this is a very competitive race and maybe he will be out of his depth but he a young improving horse with no fears for the easing ground. He's had a month off since he blundered in the Betfair hurdle and went backwards off a penalty. There could be more to come from him.

Modem ran in the Boylesports Hurdle at Leopardstown and finished second in a Grade 2. He's proven in big field handicaps. This race has been the aim for him according to the trainer and he ran in the Grade 2 to get a high enough mark to get in. He won't mind the ground at all with a decent record on better and worse ground. Looks a decent shot here at 22/1.

Modem 1pt ew @ 50/1 & Aso 1pt ew @ 22/1

Martin Pipe Conditionals Handicap Hurdle

Shelford looks overlooked here. He was going well in behind L'Ami Serge in a G1 last time. He's run well in a big field handicap the Ladbroke at Ascot. This longer trip may bring about more improvement in him.

Jollys Cracked It ran in that Grade 1 last time and maybe these are the type of horses that should be focussed on. He's stepping up the this distance for the first time. He was last seen staying on in the Betfair.

Shelford 1pt ew @ 25/1 & Jollys Cracked It 1pt ew @ 20/1

Grand Annual Handicap Chase

I've never had great luck in this race so careful if you're following!

Brick Red horse that I've been a fan of since his days running on the flat for Andrew Balding. He's developed into a good chaser and always appreciated some cut in the ground. The ground has come good for him today and ran well enough in the Arkle last year. He was beaten into last effectively that day but only 10 lengths behind the winner despite being hampered that day. He's very consistent and I think he's not without a chance here.

Chris Pea Green is a different type to those mentioned above. He's an ultra consistent novice who's got the pace to lie up. In his chase career he hasn't gotten coditions like this but during his hurdles career he ran well in big fileds in both the Ladborke and the Betfair hurdles. He doesn't care what the ground is like but the give will likely inconvenience the rest. I think he's very over priced here and I'll take acouple of points on him

Brick Red 1pt ew @ 40/1
    Chris Pea Green 2pt ew @ 25/1

Ah here! Both taken down by a faller!

Handicaps
    Grand Jesture     +7.25
    Barrakilla        -4

Killala Quay      -4
    Irish Cavalier    +25
    Horizontal Speed (No Bet, 1pt ew = 3pts profit)

Ttebbob           -2
    Zebana            +7.25

Trustan Times     -2
    Katkeau           -2

Hollow Penny      -2
    Burn And Turn     -2
    Darna                (No Bet, 1pt ew = 41.25pts)

Aso               -2
    Modem             -2

Shelford          +5.25 (5 places)
    Jollys Cracked It -2

Brick Red         -2
    Chris Pea Green   -4

Total profit:     Backed: +14.75; Mentioned: 59pts

With Hollow Penny paying 5 places at 40/1 profit would have been higher. A swing of 11 points to 25pts backed and 70pts mentioned.

Frustrating bets but can't complain about profit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement