Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider yourself religious ?

Options

Comments

Yes I am religious, I go to mass on Sunday's and pray twice a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Spiritual.

Very very important to separate the terms religious and spiritual.

And thats not being done.

And so the spiritual side of people's lives/personalities has been tied to certain religions in our society, and those religions aren't holding up very well at the moment it would seem.

This leads to people confusing their very essence with institutions which to be fair regularly get their asses kicked on social media by the whole dawkinite/internet nouveau atheist demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Yes. I believe in god. I'm not sure if my belief in god is rooted in fear or logic

Well religion and logic don't mix to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

There are forces and powers in the universe which we do not understand. I hold these forces with great reverence and as such, I am religious.

My too. I've been known to genuflect before fridge magnets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Whenever I'm driving past a church and all the zombies are exiting after mass, I start to consider these people inferior to me. I really look down on them, like an inferior race which should be exterminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I absolutely am religious.

I am an ordained (yes it is actually a thing) minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

All praise his noodley goodness. He boiled for your sins.

RAmen

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Well religion and logic don't mix to well.

It's one thing to believe in god but it's another to believe in god because you fear the unknown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I move between being athiest and anti-theist depending on whether it's a catholic or a jehovah's witness I'm talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, but I drink religiously if that counts.

Raises can of Guinness with both hands above head and mumbles a prayer.

Is that you fr Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Too much bad stuff has happened to me to believe there's anything up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

No even raised as a catholic child I always questioned this big man in the Sky stuff, much like Santa claus and the tooth fairy. As I got older and saw how much pain, suffering and war religion has caused, I closed that door completely and set myself free. I now believe in just being a good person and being kind to others but not out of fear of a heaven and hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I am not religious, although i am, of course, a deeply spiritual person, and,as a deeply spiritual person, I am deeply offended at the lack of an Atari jaguar option in the poll on this thread, which is against the spirit of AH, which, as a deeply spiritual person, I value (deeply) ....oh, yeah, also, I believe everything happens for a reason......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

CruelCoin wrote: »

I am an ordained (yes it is actually a thing) minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

RAmen

Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy sauce be yum, on top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trample on our lawns. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us some pizza, for thine is the meatball, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. RAmen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There are forces and powers in the universe which we do not understand. I hold these forces with great reverence and as such, I am religious.

Where there are things that are not understood I prefer not to fill up the gaps with god. Humans come up with the answers to all kinds of mysteries every year, the "god of the gaps" gets made more redundant all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Our pasta, who art in a colander, draining be your noodles. Thy noodle come, Thy sauce be yum, on top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trample on our lawns. And lead us not into vegetarianism, but deliver us some pizza, for thine is the meatball, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever. RAmen

You win

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CruelCoin wrote: »

RAmen

I too am touched by his noodly appendage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

I'm a Catholic. I don't label myself religious. I'm not big into labels, or categorising and pigeon-holing people, as this is a very inaccurate guide to anything. People are a lot more complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm not religious at all, I wouldn't even brand myself as an atheist as I feel that's almost become a religious term in and of itself, something religious people use to make sense of the non-believers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

No, but I drink religiously if that counts.

Raises can of Guinness with both hands above head and mumbles a prayer.

My favourite drink, if I'm out at a pub, is a Stoli and Coke (Smirnoff, if Stoli isn't available). Like many people of East Slavic descent, I like to drink vodka.

And I don't consider myself otherwise religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Full on atheist. So are my kids.

The wife's a nagnostic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm agnostic.

It's not that I say "i don't know".

It's that I say "we cannot know".

Militant agnostic?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Cen taurus wrote: »
    I'm a Catholic. I don't label myself religious. I'm not big into labels, or categorising and pigeon-holing people, as this is a very inaccurate guide to anything. People are a lot more complex than that.

You're aware that Catholic is the more specific pigeon holed label here?
    As a Catholic do you follow all the required dogmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am and would not deny it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I was raised non-religious & have no thoughts or beliefs on the subject.

Religion is a non-entity to me, but I respect the right of others to worship as they see fit as long as they're not imposing it upon me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm agnostic.

It's not that I say "i don't know".

It's that I say "we cannot know".

Militant agnostic?

You know our prayer!

You are surely destined to go to heaven and frolick in the beery rain spewed forth from the beer volcanoe, whilst buxom wenches freshly minted from the stripper factory hang on your every move.

(You did of course say the prayer in a pirate accent, didn't you?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I like spaghetti but I don't believe it created the universe.

• Advertisement

I like spaghetti but I don't believe it created the universe.

And that's perfectly ok. But note that unlike pretty much every other religion in history, we won't kill/maim you for your blasphemy.

Advertisement