Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider yourself religious ?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I find it interesting when having a conversation with people and the topic of religion comes up. A lot of people will say they are catholic but when you ask them do they pray or really believe in it they say no.

Personally I'm an atheist but I respect people's rights to believe whatever they want, however when religion starts to interfere with public life and effects policy I have a serious problem and unfortunately this is a big problem in Ireland.

So to everyone in AH, are you religious ?

Do you consider yourself religious ? 165 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    I see myself as belonging to a particular religion but not religious
    17% 29 votes
    No
    10% 17 votes
    Richard Dawkins
    72% 119 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Eh, it's no bowl of Special K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

No, but I drink religiously if that counts.

Raises can of Guinness with both hands above head and mumbles a prayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

More religious than the Pope herself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Kinda but I know that everyone at some stage in a day says god or Jesus or
    Something along them lines.
    Surely that's part of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I wouldn't knock religion or anybody who believes in it.

I gives comfort to a lot of people.

Personally, I'd be more spiritual than religious. I'd like there's something out there, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

I myself am an atheist, although baptised Catholic (unfortunately in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

shane7218 wrote: »
    Personally I'm an atheist but I respect people's rights to believe whatever they want, however when religion starts to interfere with public life and effects policy I have a serious problem and unfortunately this is a big problem in Ireland.

Completely agree. People can believe in whatever deity or deities they want. However their chosen deity shouldn't define them or dictate their life. Should be kinda like their favorite sports team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Nope, had it drilled into me as a child in Catholic Ireland, but thankfully been in a position to form my own opinions since.

I can understand people either believing or not believing, being either religious or non-religious, but what I can't understand is the many people who believe simply cos it's what they were told is the truth and the way of live since they were a sprog, just cos, you know.. that's the way it is, and have never taken the time to question things and make up their own mind either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I don't believe in God, go to Mass, pray, or any of that craic. But Im still a Catholic a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. I was raised in a religion but never felt any connection to it. I'm happier marching to the beat of my own drum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Jesus Christ no!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I find it interesting when having a conversation with people and the topic of religion comes up. A lot of people will say they are catholic but when you ask them do they pray or really believe in it they say no.

So to everyone in AH, are you religious ?

Ehhhhh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Hell no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ehhhhh...

Ehhh.....

Still.......There's no such thing as a non-believer on a sinking ship.

The Rosary beads come out quick smart then!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

I would be looking for a lifeboat, not rosary beads :D

I would be looking for a lifeboat, not rosary beads :D

Remember the Titanic!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yes, there is. And they weren't really believers in the first place if they only choose to believe when it suits them. They are the weakest of the weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I generally don't see myself as religious, but I do not regard myself as a militant atheist either.

I was raised as a Catholic and that has had an enormous effect on my life and my character. Despite not adhering to the Church anymore I have no problem admitting that.

I am open to the idea that there are greater levels of reality that current science is unaware of in relation to the Universe and its creation, but projecting a humanised, familiar understanding onto something clearly beyond our scope seems childish. I don't intend on dictating what others should believe, but I see little to be gained in practicing rituals idolising/devoted to whatever was responsible for the creation of the Universe. It all seems very primitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't consider myself to be anything.

If people, religious and non religious, spent less time spewing and blethering about what they consider themselves to be and more time getting up off their arses and contributing something to the universe, I'd be a happy man. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Full on agnostic, i believe there's something more than we can logically explain, I have no issue with people having faith but organised religion and especially the "one true faith" stuff pisses me off, no one should have a right to tell anyone else how to live their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

If I ever find myself at the pearly gates it will be very awkward indeed. I'll have a lot of backtracking to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I wouldn't call myself religious, but would definitely say I am somewhat spiritual. Shame the poll doesn't have that option :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I religiously avoid mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I wouldn't call myself religious, but would definitely say I am somewhat spiritual. Shame the poll doesn't have that option :(

OP could change the poll to Religious/Other mumbo jumbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

There are forces and powers in the universe which we do not understand. I hold these forces with great reverence and as such, I am religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

There are forces and powers in the universe which we do not understand. I hold these forces with great reverence and as such, I am religious.

So you think that because we cant yet explain everything, the answer is within a book written 1000's of years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

No i don't consider myself religious.

I just think we are at a very early stage of humanity. Give it another few thousand/million years and we will know a lot more about the universe. If there really is a heaven then we will so advanced we will be able to visit it whenever we want.

I think life loses it's magic when religion comes into it - i don't want to know what happens when i die.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Yes. I believe in god. I'm not sure if my belief in god is rooted in fear or logic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

So you worship what you don't understand? That poll does need a mumbo jumbo option.

Advertisement