Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently being gay is not genetic?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's this thread about exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Women being born barren is not "supposed" to happen either. Being born diabetic is also not "supposed" to happen. Lot's of things that are not supposed to happen biologically, do. Should we tell these people too that they're an accident??:confused:
    The OP didn't say anyone was an accident. Your sensationalist response comes of like an exercise in the thank-my-outrage style of posting that gets way too much currency.

The study indicates that homosexuality is not simply genetically determined, and in that sense, is an unintended outcome, at variance with what the foetal DNA "intended" to express. But what the DNA wrote was "mistranscribed" because of maternal hormones, and in that sense, homosexuality was not "supposed to" happen. But that's not a bad thing.

If this theory it corrects, it neatly explains why homosexuality is inherited by the newborn, but not simply genetic.

If I were gay I'd be very satisfied by this data. I'd feel like it explained something about me, and it really contradicts the teachings of the Church and , frankly, homophobes. I honestly don't get the rage.

conorh91 wrote: »
    The OP didn't say anyone was an accident. Your sensationalist response comes of like an exercise in the thank-my-outrage style of posting that gets way too much currency.

The study indicates that homosexuality is not simply genetically determined, and in that sense, is an unintended outcome, at variance with what the foetal DNA "intended" to express. But what the DNA wrote was "mistranscribed" because of maternal hormones, and in that sense, homosexuality was not "supposed to" happen. But that's not a bad thing.

If this theory it corrects, it neatly explains why homosexuality is inherited by the newborn, but not simply genetic.

If I were gay I'd be very satisfied by this data. I'd feel like it explained something about me, and it really contradicts the teachings of the Church and , frankly, homophobes. I honestly don't get the rage.

If it happens by definition it's supposed to happen.
    Unfortunate phraseology,intentional or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Lakefrio

Homosexuality could be a defect or it could be an evolutionary Strategy.

kneemos wrote: »
    If it happens by definition it's supposed to happen.
    Unfortunate phraseology,intentional or not.
    That's why I used inverted commas. Obviously, nature doesn't formulate intentions.

In this case 'intention' = a genetic map
    'not supposed to happen' = deviation from a (genetically) predetermined pathway.

• Advertisement

That's why I used inverted commas. Obviously, nature doesn't formulate intentions.

In this case 'intention' = a genetic map
    'not supposed to happen' = deviation from a (genetically) predetermined pathway.

No more a deviation than blue eyes or flaky skin.

kneemos wrote: »
    No more a deviation than blue eyes or flaky skin.
    Not typically no, I think it would be very unusual for eye colour to have an environmental component. Not sure about 'flaky' skin.

As far as I know, the recent study on homosexuality indicates it is fully epigenetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Duggy747 wrote: »
    My looks turn people gay :cool:

Turn women gay, that is..... :(

I'm with ya brother. Apparently that is genetic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Now you'd normally expect gay people to feel vindicated by this, it indicates there is no element of choice or upbringing involved.

AH on the other hand... no idea what the problem is. They don't like the poster it seems.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the AH reaction, I think it's an interesting subject.

But I think possibly the responses are because people are suspicious of the OP's motivations for posting about this subject and that's coming across.

Not typically no, I think it would be very unusual for eye colour to have an environmental component. Not sure about 'flaky' skin.

As far as I know, the recent study on homosexuality indicates it is fully epigenetic.

Not a deviation is what I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mod: if you genuinely were interested in discussing genetics, there's a heap of science forums for you to choose from. Pretending you're only interested in sharing the article in after hours isn't going to be believed by anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement