Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently being gay is not genetic?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

New Insight into the (Epi)Genetic Roots of Homosexuality

Apparently being gay is not genetic (not there was ever proof of a gay gene) according to researchers at the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis. It’s caused by how genes are expressed by influences in the environment and this is called Epi-genetics.

According to research Epi-genetic marks can affect hormone sensitivity while the fetus is in the womb. Epi-genetic marks can sit on DNA and effect how active or inactive it is. Because of this Epi-genetic marks can regulate how a fetus responds to testosterone. For a female fetus the Epi-genetic marks can protect against high levels of testosterone in the womb and for a male fetus Epi-genetic marks can help by up regulating receptors that bind to the hormone (ensuring normal fetal development even in the absence of high levels of testosterone).

Normally the Epi-genetic marks are not passed from generation to generation but in the case of homosexuality these Epi-genetic marks can be passed from mother to son or father to daughter. So in the case of a male fetus this can lead to an under sensitivity to testosterone.

Here is a link to an article if you want to read about it yourself:
    healthland.time.com/2012/12/13/new-insight-into-the-epigenetic-roots-of-homosexuality/

To make it easier for some people to understand here is a link to a video with an explanation:
    youtube.com/watch?v=Uq5nmUTx6eI#t=99

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hi poster with very little posts, I trust you and your youtube link completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Good.

Even if it were proven to be a choice, that shouldn't make it less valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

probably some truth in it... but then, what about the likes of so-called "lipstick lesbians" or really masculine "bear" type gays who are "manlier" than some straight men? hardly lacking in either testosterone in the bears, or oestrogen in the lipstick lesbian?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My looks turn people gay :cool:

Turn women gay, that is..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

welcome to boards NZT73, are you interested in any subjects other than gay marriage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭NZT73

probably some truth in it... but then, what about the likes of so-called "lipstick lesbians" or really masculine "bear" type gays who are "manlier" than some straight men? hardly lacking in either testosterone in the bears, or oestrogen in the lipstick lesbian?

It's probably more complicated.

For example you can identical twins and yet one of them is straight and the other gay.

Good.

The article is not about choice. The article suggests there are Epi marks passed from one generation to the other and from mother to son when they shouldn't be. The Epi marks affect your behaviour whether you make a choice or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

NZT73 wrote: »
    The article is not about choice. The article suggests there are Epi marks passed from one generation to the other and from mother to son when they shouldn't be. The Epi marks affect your behaviour whether you make a choice or not.

Aha. And.................?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Being gay is and always will be something you're born with, it isn't a choice.

Oh and welcome to Boards!

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

You're not very clever

You're not very clever

Brilliant deduction. Now -
    The article is not about choice. The article suggests there are Epi marks passed
    from one generation to the other and from mother to son when they shouldn't be.
    The Epi marks affect your behaviour whether you make a choice or not.

...what's the significance?

Being gay is and always will be something you're born with, it isn't a choice.

Oh and welcome to Boards!

I agree you are born with it.

But the article suggests there are Epi marks passed on that shouldn't be passed that cause homosexuality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Nodin wrote: »

And...the OP has joined boards and started two thread. This one (which I am still trying to work out the point of) and another one quoting some doctor about gay marriage.

OP, who are you affiliated with?

But the article suggests there are Epi marks passed on that shouldn't be passed that cause homosexuality

But they are passed on (in some cases at least) so what, exactly, is your point....?

And...the OP has joined boards and started two thread. This one (which I am still trying to work out the point of) and another one quoting some doctor about gay marriage.

I'm just a citizen mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jeez OP, 14 posts and all on the one topic. You need to broaden your horizons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm just a citizen mate

Does your countries name start with the letter

I

and is it

ON

A

island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I'm just a citizen mate

Obviously you are a very concerned citizen about the subject of gays. Why not just state your agenda and stop all this pussy footing around the subject?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd rather see an actual genetic/epigenetic study with a large sample size, sound methodology and proper statistical analysis than a random Youtube link thank you very much. That goes double when said video consists of morons bleating in front of a camera.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The Iona Institute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Does it really make a difference, really does someone being gay affect you in any way.

And while we are here, touching on your other post, how does 2 people of same sex or opposite sex getting married affect your life.

Or is it a case of "won't somebody think of the children?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

New Insight into the (Epi)Genetic Roots of Homosexuality

Apparently being gay is not genetic (not there was ever proof of a gay gene) according to researchers at the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis. It’s caused by how genes are expressed by influences in the environment and this is called Epi-genetics.

According to research Epi-genetic marks can affect hormone sensitivity while the fetus is in the womb. Epi-genetic marks can sit on DNA and effect how active or inactive it is. Because of this Epi-genetic marks can regulate how a fetus responds to testosterone. For a female fetus the Epi-genetic marks can protect against high levels of testosterone in the womb and for a male fetus Epi-genetic marks can help by up regulating receptors that bind to the hormone (ensuring normal fetal development even in the absence of high levels of testosterone).

Normally the Epi-genetic marks are not passed from generation to generation but in the case of homosexuality these Epi-genetic marks can be passed from mother to son or father to daughter. So in the case of a male fetus this can lead to an under sensitivity to testosterone.

Here is a link to an article if you want to read about it yourself:
    healthland.time.com/2012/12/13/new-insight-into-the-epigenetic-roots-of-homosexuality/

To make it easier for some people to understand here is a link to a video with an explanation:
    youtube.com/watch?v=Uq5nmUTx6eI#t=99

In other news.... Gay scientists have discovered the gene that makes people Catholics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Its caused by a swelling in the fabulous membrane, can be caused by being in proximity to retro clothes, antiques or glitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why shouldn't they be passed.

It's an interesting topic and you're going mad because it doesn't agree with you.

It's funny how you claim to be about love and respect and rights until something comes along that you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This thread is hilarious.

People have been incorrectly inferring that the new research meant that homosexuality was a choice, or environmental, and not congenital.

Everyone therefore rounds on the OP... "who are you affiliated with?!" etc

Actually, the OP's post demonstrates that homosexuality is more likely to be congential, and not the outcome of the environment or choice, after birth.

Time to row back a bit on the OP, geniuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I think the gays shelter themselves a bit too much from discussions like this. I mean like it's probably an imbalance of a chemical or something in the brain that makes you gay. Like the rugby player who had a head injury then became gay and took up hairdressing. At the end of the day we're all just chemicals and I say imbalance because obviously it's not the balance of the majority if the gay people are in a minority percentage wise.

The other explanation is "you're just born that way" which yes of course you are but why. Same way you'd ask why you'd have blue eyes for examples. There's a biological reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Lakefrio

Good.

Why are you brining up the validity of homosexuality? No one questioned it's validity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Like the rugby player who had a head injury then became gay and took up hairdressing.

Convenient..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement