Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whos hopping on the Cheltenham Festival bandwagon next week?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I never rode a horse.

D'ya like dags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I'm a bookie. It's my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Miall108 wrote: »
    Who is hopping aboard??

Not me, but I will be glad if the festival finishes without the deaths of any horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I'm jumping on the going to Cheltenham and then staying on in Wales to go the rugby match bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm flying into Bristol on Wednesday. Will meet my Father there. Heading to the races in Cheltenham on Thursday and Friday. I'm not a big gambler, £50 or £100 every other race. Going to bet in Euros this year due to the exchange rate.

It's a wonderful place to visit. The thrill of the national hunt is almost unequalled. The crowds, the atmosphere, the content, the punter. Tens of thousands people there because they genuinely love the sport. Excited already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Going to bet in Euros this year due to the exchange rate.

What does it matter which currency you place your bets in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I never rode a horse.
    99% of the people who go racing or spend time in the bookies and moan about 'the ride that horse got' have never ridden a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Looking forward to it myself, I do love this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Have always followed horses but chelters gets more competitive every year

I do miss not owning horses anymore though. Jeez those syndicates were some fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I'm flying into Bristol on Wednesday. Will meet my Father there. Heading to the races in Cheltenham on Thursday and Friday. I'm not a big gambler, £50 or £100 every other race. Going to bet in Euros this year due to the exchange rate.

It's a wonderful place to visit. The thrill of the national hunt is almost unequalled. The crowds, the atmosphere, the content, the punter. Tens of thousands people there because they genuinely love the sport. Excited already!

50 or 100 quid every other race? And that's not a big gambler? Honestly would have thought that's big. I assume you are taking a couple of grand then for the duration? That's a lot of money.

• Advertisement

Look at the soccer previews in the papers at the weekend. They give odds on win/lose/draw.
    The NFL is the most bet on sport in the US....and no horses involved in that.

Gamblers will bet on 2 flies running up a window. That's not the point. Gambling is not central to sport - its not the main purpose. 90%+ of people who watch soccer, NFL or athletics are not betting on the outcome.
    With horse racing, the only ones not interested in the betting are the horses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Candie wrote: »
    Isn't Cheltenham like a culchie Mecca?
    Unlike Harolds Cross dog track which attracts Dublin geebags of the worst kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Have a real dislike of horse racing mainly to do with the tax breaks the industry gets so no won't be taking any interest at all.

LorMal wrote: »
    With horse racing, the only ones not interested in the betting are the horses.

And as myself and others have said to you earlier, this is not a correct statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Best week of the year, today is like adults version of Christmas Eve :D

And as myself and others have said to you earlier, this is not a correct statement.

Really? Honestly? Are you not just repeating that for the sake of argument?
    I can understand people in the industry taking a professional interest obviously.

But I found it very hard to believe that there are lots of people watching horse racing with no interest in betting? What is the point?

I am not trying to be smart - if i am wrong I am wrong - but betting seems to be the point of going to the races surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I can understand people in the industry taking a professional interest obviously.

But I found it very hard to believe that there are lots of people watching horse racing with no interest in betting? What is the point?

I am not trying to be smart - if i am wrong I am wrong - but betting seems to be the point of going to the races surely?

You grow an affinity for certain horses, it's like someone supporting a football team, rugby team, athlete etc!

It's not all about betting, some horses are just so good you want to see them run again and again! I think I've had one bet since Xmas, still watch the sport every day. Will be gambling this week alright but I don't feel the need to back a horse every day to enjoy the sport!

For many people yes.
    But if you go to a meeting you can see many people there not betting. Just there for a love of the sport and a good day out.

Of course, most people do bet, but if the betting on horse racing ceased tomorrow then would the sport die? I dont think so. And that is back to the original point - Horse racing is a sport. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'm not a big gambler, £50 or £100 every other race.

Those bets would be pretty substancial to most.That said,if you can afford it go for it man although i would have thought NH would have been a bit bawdy and low brow for a chap of your calibre Aongus :pac:

For many people yes.
    But if you go to a meeting you can see many people there not betting. Just there for a love of the sport and a good day out.

Of course, most people do bet, but if the betting on horse racing ceased tomorrow then would the sport die? I dont think so. And that is back to the original point - Horse racing is a sport. :)

Fair enough. Enjoy. Be careful with the few bob:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Those bets would be pretty substancial to most.That said,if you can afford it go for it man although i would have thought NH would have been a bit bawdy and low brow for a chap of your calibre Aongus :pac:

I've always been a fan of national hunt racing. There is no comparison between the jumps and the flat in terms of excitement and passion. I've always found flat racing to a rather staid affair. Obviously the calibre and breeding of horses bred for the top flat races is higher than that found in National Hunt. It's also less of a punters graveyard if having a bet. The NH game is much more my bag though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 riding_shotgun

attended the galway races last year and that was enough for me , incredibly boring sport , you only see the horses as they approach the finish line

a sport which exists primarily to facilitate gambling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Alexis Sanchez2

Why do they never record the times for completing the race in horse racing?

I've always found flat racing to a rather staid affair. Obviously the calibre and breeding of horses bred for the top flat races is higher than that found in National Hunt. It's also less of a punters graveyard if having a bet.

Agreed,I rarely bet on horses but when i do it's usually on the flat.Cheltenham is one of the exceptions along with a couple of the big Irish meetings.Cheltenham is usually a money pit for me,i usually lose at least 150-200 most years, but the excitement and the buzz more than makes up for it.

Why do they never record the times for completing the race in horse racing?

They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I like Cheltneham, I'll put a few bets on during the week. Literally guess work as haven't a clue about horse racing in general.

Its just an interest and I find the racing exciting. Having money on the race is a bit of craic. I usually back the outsiders (each way) with a few euro. Nothing brave.
    Its a racing festival - so everybody wants to win. This makes it difficult for tipsters and great for someone like me.

So yeah, I will be most certainly bandwagoneering. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I have always been a fan of the flat rather than the jumps so this week is nothing to me.
    The Curragh on the 29th of this month though...I cant wait. Bring on the flat

That gasbag George hook is on newstalk giving out about cheltnam now,sounds like it came straight from this thread.Lazy broadcasting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Where can one find the race times for each horse for each race?

Racingpost i always use

bear in mind thats times with different ground

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Work is fun watching people studying the form:o

Advertisement