Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whos hopping on the Cheltenham Festival bandwagon next week?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Us Irish folk do love a good bandwagon from time to time to jump on and off when we please like the rugby, cricket, superbowl etc. The latest one is the Cheltenham Festival bandwagon which sets off on tuesday. Who is hopping aboard??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Bandwagon threads are becoming the new bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I follow racing year round OP. I do love Cheltenham too.

Isn't Cheltenham like a culchie Mecca?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Candie wrote: »

Mecca doesnt have a ladies day though, unless its a competition to see who looks like the cleanest/nicest postbox

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm still trying to figure the cricket out, bear with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

No. Copper face jacks is the mecca for true culchies.

Ladies day at any of these events are cringey. Competitions to see who looks the best in their new hat.

And of course they all have lovely bottoms.

Don't get going to the races, much like formula 1. I don't see the point in watching either horses or machines go round and round, it's not something I could get excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its hardly a bandwagon...every year there is a high level of interest in ireland in Cheltenham. Well, for as long as I have been following horse racing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I never rode a horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Horse racing is by far our most consistently successful sport and National Hunt Racing even more so.

Cheltenham is the world championship of National Hunt and our trainers, jockeys and horses are constantly up there in the winner' enclosure.

It's only a bandwagon if we follow others. When it comes to Cheltenham - Others follow us.

Bring it on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is the best thing i've read on the internet all week. I'm robbing this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It's weird. I literally do not spend a nanosecond thinking about horse racing the other 51 weeks of the year but when Cheltenham comes around................shure ya have to have an aul bet on Cheltenham. I did win a couple of hundred on a 16/1 four years ago, so Im hoping my lucky streak holds out. Come on Eamonn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

"I once rode her mother" Ted Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

I tend to get Cheltenham fever every year. 2 years ago when I first bet on it finished about €200 to the good. Thought 'This gambling lark is easy' and figured I'd be like JP McManus by now. Lost money last year so this year I'm going for best of 3 and hoping last year was just a blip.... I'm quietly confident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Lapin wrote: »
    Horse racing is by far our most consistently successful sport and National Hunt Racing even more so.

Cheltenham is the world championship of National Hunt and our trainers, jockeys and horses are constantly up there in the winner' enclosure.

It's only a bandwagon if we follow others. When it comes to Cheltenham - Others follow us.

Bring it on !

I wonder is it really a sport though? All the horses kind of look the same so I cannot imagine anyone getting excited about which particular one wins a race. Unless of course they own it and will win money or they have placed a bet on it and likewise. So, isn't it really just outdoors gambling with silly hats on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I never rode a horse.

Of course you did and you can blame the beer goggles for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Free bowl of stew with your pint.

What's not to love?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Probably the only week of the year I don't go into bookies

21/25

LorMal wrote: »
    I wonder is it really a sport though? All the horses kind of look the same so I cannot imagine anyone getting excited about which particular one wins a race. Unless of course they own it and will win money or they have placed a bet on it and likewise. So, isn't it really just outdoors gambling with silly hats on?

You could say that about athletics though...just a load of people, who look the same, running under some colours or other ...yet the old Olympics are mad popular.

You could say that about athletics though...just a load of people, who look the same, running under some colours or other ...yet the old Olympics are mad popular.

A bit of a feeble argument there TH. Would anyone be honestly bothered about horse racing if there was no betting? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I guess you could say so. City folk get a nosebleed if they have to travel more than 2 bus trips away or if there isn't a bleedin Dublin accent within earshot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Not me, not this year.

What I propose folk do is take out five hundred euro or a grand (whatever you can afford to lose) and tuck it away somewhere safe.

Follow the races you would have placed a bet on, keep adding or subtracting accordingly.

Come Fri evening, take out cash and breathe and sigh of relief. (you've still got cash either way)

Cost me dearly last year. Cheltenhams a hoor.

A bit of a feeble argument there TH. Would anyone be honestly bothered about horse racing if there was no betting? Doubt it.

Course they would. Jockeys. Trainers. Breeders. Locals supporting their own stables. Irish versus the world etc.
    It is one of the sports where we irish really do rule the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well for outsiders a lot of it is the "glamour" of the horse racing world, the rich people knocking around, ladies day, winning big money. The sport of kings and the very well off. So theres a lot of cache there. But I imagine for people who actually train/work with horses on a daily basis, theres a huge interest in unearthing potential champion racehorses and then watching them have a great career.
    Personally I wouldnt look at a horse race unless I had money on it though.

Agricola wrote: »
    Well for outsiders a lot of it is the "glamour" of the horse racing world, the rich people knocking around, ladies day, winning big money. The sport of kings and the very well off......

Thats more of a description of Royal Ascot, or The Curragh on Derby weekend than the Cheltenham festival. Very different set up. I'm not saying there won't wealthy race goers around next week but National Hunt isn't about money in the way flat racing is, for obvious reasons.

Of course they would.
    I guess you could say so. City folk get a nosebleed if they have to travel more than 2 bus trips away or if there isn't a bleedin Dublin accent within earshot!

Ye have obviously never been.
    Cormac... wrote: »
    This is the best thing i've read on the internet all week. I'm robbing this

It wasn't really that funny.

Course they would. Jockeys. Trainers. Breeders. Locals supporting their own stables. Irish versus the world etc.
    It is one of the sports where we irish really do rule the world!

Why on earth do they constantly refer to the odds when describing a race? I have NEVER seen the runners or winners listed without their odds listed beside them - not once.

Irish versus the world??? How many countries in the world are actually arsed?

Why on earth do they constantly refer to the odds when describing a race? I have NEVER seen the runners or winners listed without their odds listed beside them - not once.

Look at the soccer previews in the papers at the weekend. They give odds on win/lose/draw.
    The NFL is the most bet on sport in the US....and no horses involved in that.

Eh, a lot more than most other sports.

Racing is popular on all continents. Less so for National Hunt admittedly but as a sport in general it is fairly universal.

Look at all these Arab States with their oil rich resources building race courses like mad, and huge outfits like Godolphin trying to compete with Coolmore and the US based stud farms.

Horse racing is truly global and Ireland dominates the sport. We should be proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You're allowed to choose a horse to support without betting on it.

And unlike football, gaa etc, you're not expected to follow one horse through thick and thin when you've nothing to do with them. In horse racing you can choose a different horse in each race randomly or by checking their stats and cheer them on for the hell of it.

Knowing the odds adds to the fun as you can get an idea of their chances without having to look up the horses history. It's fun. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Lapin wrote: »
    It wasn't really that funny.

Who are you to tell me what I find funny or not?

Advertisement