Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petty Things Banned From The Workplace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Radios should be banned throughout Ireland. It's the lowest most idiotic form of media and it's impossible to escape it because bus drivers and shop keepers love that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Radios should be banned throughout Ireland. It's the lowest most idiotic form of media and it's impossible to escape it because bus drivers and shop keepers love that crap.

So you reckon Gerry Ryan was a start

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cups of tea & coffee at your workstation have been banned,but bottles of water,cans of minerals etc. are ok???

If they banned using headphones,the place would be burned to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Christmas tree was fine, but the star on the christmas tree was banned.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Toasters have long been banned in our office since the time in our previous office that the bread didn't pop up properly in one and ended up setting off the fire alarm. The fire brigade weren't particularly impressed when it was discovered what set off the alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Things banned in my workplace -

Food. Hot drinks. Heels. Runners. Jeans. Internet. Using your phone. Reading. Sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

Food. Hot drinks. Heels. Runners. Jeans. Internet. Using your phone. Reading. Sitting.

sounds like a lovely place to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

How are the employment prospects in Hell these days?

I really enjoy my job and don't follow the rules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Shorts yes for sure lots of people wear them in the summer including myself. I've never seen someone in a singlet though, I'd imagine that would be a step too far although some people wear track suits or sweat pants and even I think that's too under dressed for an office environment.

You see, that's the issue , there has to be some standard,and it has to be enforced.

If there is no standard, then anything goes,so to come out and say there should be no dress codes is a load of codswallopp.

There has to be man, otherwise gimps will rock up in cutties and singlets, plus thongs and bag holders ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They hire at Christmas mostly, Send an application to Dunnes Stores and they'll arrange everything for you. :pac:

You see, that's the issue , there has to be some standard,and it has to be enforced.

If there is no standard, then anything goes,so to come out and say there should be no dress codes is a load of codswallopp.

There has to be man, otherwise gimps will rock up in cutties and singlets, plus thongs and bag holders ?

Well where I work there is absolutely no dress code. An odd person wears track suits and an odd person wears a suit and you have most people falling in between somewhere.

In most jobs day to day there is no need to dress any more formal than jeans and a polo shirt or shirt imo. Why people sitting in an office all day working away are forced to wear a suit is beyond me.

By all means wear something more formal if you have a meeting or important engagement but day to day in roles where people are just working away I see no reason for any sort of formal dress code. It's much easier to work when you are comfortable too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

McGaggs wrote: »
    Was she ugly?

She was probably one of the hottest girls I've ever seen, honestly. And she was such a lovely person too. If I were ever to experiment with someone of the same sex, I'd have picked her! The customer that complained was an old bag in her 60s-70s, and very wealthy, one of those customers that expected you to bend over backwards to help her. Probably just bitter because her own arse looked like a pillowcase full of rice pudding.

What happens if you need to poop?? Do you have to hover over the toilet?

Actually my father in law used to be a fisherman, and my husband used to fish with him the odd time. I always assumed that there were little bathrooms on the boats, but no. If you had to pee, you just peed over the side (easy enough for men, there were almost never women on the boat) but if you needed to poo, you had to pull down your pants and hang your arse over the railing. I can imagine it was terrifying in rough seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've spent some time working in various labs and I've seen the following banned for either health and safety or product comtamination
    Phones
    Watches
    Radios
    Jewellery
    Make-up
    Open toe shoes
    Tights
    Beards
    Black/red/green pens

None of them apart from the pens seem particularly petty given that they're banned from a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aunty kitty

pillphil wrote: »
    None of them apart from the pens seem particularly petty given that they're banned from a lab.

red and green writing doesn't photocopy well and it's harder to tell if something is a photocopy or the original document if it's in black writing. Blue pens are considered best for labs.

tippex is usually banned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I run my own business so pretty much anything goes.

Have been known to work from my own bed (with a steaming hot mug of dangerous liquids for my troubles too!).

It's also great to be able to just randomly interrupt work for impromptu bass solos. Much prefer that to a radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

This happened to friends of mine. Got a telling off for walking 20 meters (from the van to the cabin where they changed into work clothes) without wearing a hard hat and safety glasses..
    This was in a wide open space with nothing overhead or even around them!

The same Health and safety guy could see no problem with one of them starting a 12 hour night shift straight away even though they they were on the road from 6 that morning and this was 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Flip flops, mini skirts and leaving stuff on the printer, last one apparently can result in termination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fenris wrote: »
    Flip flops, mini skirts and leaving stuff on the printer, last one apparently can result in termination!
    If you're working in a job with very sensitive information, that seems like a reasonably sensible rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

fenris wrote: »
    Flip flops, mini skirts and *leaving stuff on the printer, last one apparently can result in termination*!

I wish to apply for a job in your workplace - I blummin hate to see the pages gather on top of the printer, some of them there since the previous day #grrr

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »

What happens if you need to poop?? Do you have to hover over the toilet?.

Not a problem, because we're not allowed go to the bathroom, except on our lunch break. :pac:

As you can probably tell, I don't really follow any of the rules.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.
    I don't care what anyone says, eleven is not a reasonable volume, even if you need that extra push over the cliff :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Any sort of t shirt under the work uniform that isn't plain white. Like, the work shirt is worn over this, and you'd rarely have it unbuttoned unless its an absolutely sweating day, but regardless of whether it can be seen or not, wearing say, a white t shirt with a single word on it is grounds for disciplinary action apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Pantsless Fridays.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Slideways

This could be a very long list..

I work on a mine site in Western Australia, health and safety is totally over the top.

Leathernan multitools
    Stanlet knives that are not retractable
    Steel sledges
    Mobiles. Having one on your person even in flight mode is an instant sackable offence. No warning. Bye bye
    Lots of tools a mechanic would use in real life.
    9" grinders. 1mm cutting discs
    Short sleeves
    Any rings/watches/chains
    Long hair that won't fit under a hard hat
    Beanies under hard hats
    Shaggy beards
    Anything that has a display screen or a camera. Only an iPod shuffle is allowed. But you can't use it while working

I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Slideways wrote: »

I work on a mine site in Western Australia, health and safety is totally over the top.

Leathernan multitools
    Stanlet knives that are not retractable
    Steel sledges
    Mobiles. Having one on your person even in flight mode is an instant sackable offence. No warning. Bye bye
    Lots of tools a mechanic would use in real life.
    9" grinders. 1mm cutting discs
    Short sleeves
    Any rings/watches/chains
    Long hair that won't fit under a hard hat
    Beanies under hard hats
    Shaggy beards
    Anything that has a display screen or a camera. Only an iPod shuffle is allowed. But you can't use it while working

I could go on

It sounds sensible to ban potential sources of static/sparks in a mine where the presence of gas is possible.

Panrich wrote: »
    It sounds sensible to ban potential sources of static/sparks in a mine where the presence of gas is possible.

It's an open cut iron ore mine. The only gas produced around here comes out of the locals mouths at the wet mess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Slideways wrote: »

I'm guessing the mining company uses explosives with radio controlled detonators at at least one site.

They also get picky about wifi and long network cables, fibre maybe OK though

I'm guessing the mining company uses explosives with radio controlled detonators at at least one site.

They also get picky about wifi and long network cables, fibre maybe OK though

Not the reason unfortunately. Supervisors have their phones on them for work.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-17/mobile-phone-found-in-truck-after-fmg-mine-accident/5097724

The othe reason is whenever there's a **** up on site, quite regular, photos would appear on a Facebook page called Mining Mayhem.

The 3 big mining mobs, FMG, Rio Tinto and BHP all very much unhappy about dirty linen in public

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote: »
    We can only wear shirts with the company logo on Fridays (they are really nice dress shirts). :?
    The perks of working for McDonalds

Advertisement