Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petty Things Banned From The Workplace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Our place has banned moaning about the music being too loud. That is one of the main reasons I still look forward to going into work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yurt wrote: »
    Is this the same company in Dublin Citi that im thinking off ?

If you need a key to the door on the North wall of your house it may well be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Not banned, but a company that I used to
    work for specified in their employee handbook that all employees had to wear underwear whilst at work. I'd love to know the story behind what caused it!

I worked in an office where this was an issue re see through summer dresses. Some girl went commando and had to be asked to go home and change. I don't think she realised just how see through her dress was but wearing white didn't help.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

uch wrote: »
    There's a Bedroom in the office I work in, in case you need 40 winks, great on a Monday when dying with a sore head

Is this a Revenue building ;-)

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Back in the 90s was workplace bliss, been totally pissed, stoned, late for work, sleeping on the job, fighting, doing no work was ......OK.

I was even told told by my boss, there's a great spot to snooze up into the plant room!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

:eek: *Retrieves monocle from champagne* People wear uncollared shirts!?

Probably insists tshirts are tucked in as well.

Valetta wrote: »
    Agree.

Offices are for work, not listening to the radio.

Listening to music is far better for concentrating on work than listening to 20 random background conversations happening around the office. There is no way I could have written a thesis without headphones and music.
    axel rose wrote: »
    To those of you who use earphones- how can you hear the phone ring, or a colleagues query?

My job doesn't involve answering the phone, I think I've had two work related calls to my desk phone in the last 6 years. If someone wants me and I've headphones in they kick my chair, throw something at me or wave in front of me if they are being extra polite. If I want someone who listening to music it's vice versa. People are far too polite that's the issue, so what if someone can't hear you get their attention in another way.

I would crack up if I couldn't listen to music at work, it's so ingrained in me at this stage I couldn't even comprehend doing without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Toasters banned. One clever guy tried to bring in a George Foreman, it lasted a week.

One colleague wore his "I found jesus........he was behind the sofa" t-shirt one day, also banned.

THE MONSTERS!!!

Yeah, we have the toaster ban too, I hate it! One lady brought one in and hid it in the closet in the kitchen, but it got confiscated.

The annoying thing is that this ban is only on my floor, the other floors are allowed toasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

uch wrote: »
    There's a Bedroom in the office I work in, in case you need 40 winks, great on a Monday when dying with a sore head

IKEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Tilly wrote: »
    I wish they would ban this radio in the office. I work with someone who hums EVERY FÚCKING SONG :mad:

I've got it worse. My colleague whistles. And when asked to stop, she proclaims that she can't help it. I swear she does it just to piss me off now. Also she has a terrible taste in music, and will whistle the same little bit of a crappy song for an entire week, even when listening to other crap music.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

pawrick wrote: »
    I worked in an office where this was an issue re see through summer dresses. Some girl went commando and had to be asked to go home and change. I don't think she realised just how see through her dress was but wearing white didn't help.

In the dress code for one place where I worked it said "underwear should not be visible" and I never really got that - surely the point of underwear was that it goes under the clothes, I mean the clue is in the name.

One day one of the girls got sent home because she was wearing low rise black trousers (in fairness, that alone was against the dress code, we were supposed to wear suit trousers) and when she bent down to get something for a customer, the whole office got an eyeful of her very skimpy thong. The customer went mental and complained to the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cillit_bang

I have only ever worked in American MNC's.

Anyone who I have talked to who has worked for an Irish company it has basically been the ''..workplace bliss, been totally pissed, stoned, late for work, sleeping on the job, fighting, doing no work was ......OK...''

I can't understand it (Basically because I have never worked for such a company). Do people not get tried of doing nothing and being there in spirit? Like that Republic of Telly skit where the guy comes in late for work dying of a hangover and the boss is like, "Oh grand so". Baffles me!

Cannot stand people who use radios in the office. Headphones fair enough, but radios no!

Perhaps your colleagues didn't want to listen to whatever radio station you did? Perhaps they complained as it was distracting. If you can hear the radio, the person beside you can.

Who wants to listen to commercial radio with the inane ads, the constant rotation of the same sh1t music all day anyway.

I cannot believe this is a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Just read through the thread and it reminded me why I never want to work in an office. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I don't think I'm allowed to sleep with the students.

Candie wrote: »
    YFlyer wrote: »
    wear that shirt that the engineering guy had on who landed the rocket on the comet.

It wouldn't look good on me, since it's a mens shirt.

As I mentioned, my boss and myself are trying to find a similar one for him to wear.

I got one of those shirts. I've not worn it to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Microwaves :( we aren't allowed have one for Health and Safety reasons. It would make lunchtime a lot easier and give me more choice, 4 days out if of 5 it's feckin salad for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've spent some time working in various labs and I've seen the following banned for either health and safety or product comtamination
    Phones
    Watches
    Radios
    Jewellery
    Make-up
    Open toe shoes
    Tights
    Beards
    Black/red/green pens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've spent some time working in various labs and I've seen the following banned for either health and safety or product comtamination
    Phones
    Watches
    Radios
    Jewellery
    Make-up
    Open toe shoes
    Tights
    Beards
    Black/red/green pens

What about blue pens? I know a fella who worked in a few labs and they can be strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Toots wrote: »
    the whole office got an eyeful of her very skimpy thong. The customer went mental and complained to the manager

Was she ugly?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jeans, t-shirts or polos and casual shoes or runners are standard dress in my office. If you see someone in a suit they stand out like a sore thumb and know there must be something very important going on that day for them.

I detest pointless dress codes like the one you appear to like. Such a waste of time.

Just a question, can you appear at work in your office in shorts and singlets and such like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I've tried unsuccessfully to have sneakers and uncollared shirts to be banned from our offices. In fairness most people stick to a professional dress code, but you have the odd few who insist on dressing very scruffily!

Id try to have you banned

Just a question, can you appear at work in your office in shorts and singlets and such like.

Shorts yes for sure lots of people wear them in the summer including myself. I've never seen someone in a singlet though, I'd imagine that would be a step too far although some people wear track suits or sweat pants and even I think that's too under dressed for an office environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Not many do, but aside fom Daisy Duke short-shorts I don't think it'd be a problem in our shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Guessing it's a H&S thing, but jesus you'd swear they were 5 years old.

I've to wear a life jacket to use the water fountain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Charging mobile phones as the electricity bill was too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ianobrien wrote: »
    Phones
    Watches
    Radios
    Jewellery
    Make-up
    Open toe shoes
    Tights
    Beards
    Black/red/green pens

Tights what about stockings and suspenders?

What's the reason for the tights

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think the only thing that is banned in my place is taking bribes.
    Oh, and leaving old food in the fridge. Food and bribery. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tights what about stockings and suspenders?

What's the reason for the tights

It can be because of chemical spills - if certain chemicals fall on the tights, they'll melt into the skin!

The ban on open-toed sandals would be similar, if you drop something (chemicals, glassware, blades) they'll fall on bare toes. Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I worked in a company years ago where charging electrical devices (phones etc) was considered stealing from the company.
    One Friday afternoon a girl straightened her hair in the bathroom/changing rooms (on her lunch break) because she was going on the razz straight after work.
    She got an official warning for theft from the company. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Today, myself and five colleagues in the office were notified by e-mail from the boss that radios are banned from today. Now, three of us always had radios on, never that loud, and nothing was ever said until today. The ban extends to the use of headphones and any way of listening to music.

We're the only office in the building (one of three) to have radios banned. Even the directors had no say in this and have no issues with others listening to music.

What sort of things have been banned from your workplace, if anything?

3 radios on in one office? Too right they're banned.

Advertisement