Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket Money

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember getting 20p after mass, 86+. 20 sweets, and they'd be gone quicker than a sneeze. I think that was upped to 50p around 1990, and a pound around 1992. Think it stopped around then, I did more jobs around the house. Cutting the lawns got me three pounds, but it was a 2 hour job.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Never got any communion money or conformation money?

I'm sure he worked that dress very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

£1 a week after doing chores (hovering and cutting the grass etc) up until I was 15 ( in1999) and got my first job.

Completely self funded since then.

If I had kids now, then I'd probably give them €5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Used to get four euro a week until I started working at about 15.

Used to never spend a cent of it and buy myself a new CD every 5 weeks or so. Super jealous of the tykes now who can just download music for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I got about a pound when I was in Primary school. Got 10 euro a week in secondary school but only if I did chores around the house. I didn't get it a lot because I was a lazy teen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was getting about €20 when I was 15 then got a job as soon as I turned 16 so that was the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I was in care, between the age of 12 - 16 I got 10 Euro (set the table, clean room, empty dishwasher)... and that went on make up, clothes, transport outside of school hours, then went into residential care and got the amount equal to your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Never got it. In fairness to my parents, who didnt have a whole lot, if I wanted something like clothes or a game the odd time, they would usually come up trumps as long as I didnt make it a frequent thing. Never really seemed to need pocket money back then. "We made our own fun and were thankful for the air in our lungs" and all that aul waffle. Can imagine kids today wouldnt last a second without a cash on the hip. Lunches to buy, fashion to keep up with, mobile phone credit to feed their data habit etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I started getting 2pound a week from the age of about 8, but had to do chores to earn it. Got put up to a fiver at about 10/11 years old.

My dad continued to give me 30 quid a week throughout college, as it paid for my transport (4 buses a day). I will point out that this was a maintenance of sorts, as my folks split when I was 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Didn't get anything, if I wanted something I'd have to ask and usually I'd be lucky to get a magazine once a month.

Lived on on farm so my chores were actual work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

our 5 year old gets €5 every friday,

she has to do age - appropriate chores to earn that, and she saves it up to buy things she wants like books/toys/dvd's...etc

it's also brilliant for helping her learn to count, add, subtract, multiply...etc and teaching her the value of things... e.g: if she wants a specific new barbie that costs €30 she knows straight away it will take 6 weeks to save that up, when she wants a magazine she knows it means adding an extra week onto the wait for that barbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hoodwinked wrote: »
    it's also brilliant for helping her learn to count, add, subtract, multiply...etc and teaching her the value of things... e.g: if she wants a specific new barbie that costs €30 she knows straight away it will take 6 weeks to save that up, when she wants a magazine she knows it means adding an extra week onto the wait for that barbie.

I think that's a great way of teaching about value. Far too many kids don't "get" the whole saving up thing. My granddad always gave each of us a pound every time we saw him- there were 19 of us, so it must have cost him a fortune! (on the plus side, I will forever think of him when I see an old pound coin :o)

I saved all my pounds up for holidays when I was 5 and bought my own bucket and spade when we got to Spain. My mam said I spent forever trying to pick out a nice one for the cheapest price. A savvy shopper even then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

davo2001 wrote: »
    £1 a week after doing chores (hovering and cutting the grass etc)

Surely a helicopter pilot would get paid more than that?

Or was it levitation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

£5 a week

I wouldn't call it pocket money but I would have got money regularly from my parents until my early 20's while I was in university and some money now and again if I needed it up until nearly turning 30 as I was doing a post grad and sometimes couldn't afford bigger expenses like car tax etc due to being on poor enough money.

As for actual pocket money I was getting around a 5er a day for lunch etc in 5th year and leaving cert I think and money on weekends if I needed it. I also had some of my own money from Summer work too for bigger purchases when I was 17 and 18.

I used to work on the farm also so a lot of the pocket money was actually called payment for helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My two teenage sons (15 and 17) get €20 each per week only if they do certain jobs around the house.

Whatever they put into their credit union accounts I match Euro-for-Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Used to get £2 for doing the hovering on a Saturday. Was earning part time at 16, full time at 18, and giving 50 a week house keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My Dad gave me €50 a week from the time I was about 15 until I finished school. I had a part time job in college but he'd still give me a few bob each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Got a pound until the changeover (would have been about 8), then €5 for a couple of years, then €10. When I started secondary school, the children's allowance just went straight into my bank account as pocket money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i had a paper round from the age of 12 and was working in a builders yard from 16
    i own my own business's now as i appreciated that working for other people for money was hard and that they were paying me to make me money so i should just make me money instead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Jawgap wrote: »
    My two teenage sons (15 and 17) get €20 each per week only if they do certain jobs around the house.

Whatever they put into their credit union accounts I match Euro-for-Euro.
    tell them i can lend they a couple of grand to put in the credit union if they wanna split the bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

_Brian wrote: »
    Our 12YO girl gets €2 a week, maybe another €2 if she does extra housework, its has to be earned though. She wanted converse runners last summer and had to save for them as we'd just bought runners for them. They were best minded things in the house.

When young (70's)I would have gotten £5 for a full day Saturday work on the farm. Graping out sheds, feeding stock, pulling ragworth.
    What would a 12 year girl buy out of €2 per week?

Comes across as rather stingy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tigger wrote: »
    tell them i can lend they a couple of grand to put in the credit union if they wanna split the bonus

No problem.......

.......should've mentioned - I'm the the trustee on their accounts*

*your investment may go down as well as down. Current values are not guarantees that I won't trouser your money :D

Advertisement