Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket Money

Options
  • 06-03-2015 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Was listening to an item on how much kids get these days, one 19 year old who was re-sitting his leaving is getting about 23 euro a week which by his own admittance was mainly for cheap cans of booze. I wasn't getting any pocket money at that age as I was supposed to look after myself in that regard! :mad:

When you last got pocket money how much was it per week?

Hpw much pocket money per week 70 votes

None!
    0% 0 votes
    Up to 5 euro
    32% 23 votes
    6 to 10 euro
    34% 24 votes
    11 to 15 euro
    20% 14 votes
    16 to 20 euro
    2% 2 votes
    Over 20 euro
    10% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Last time I got pocket money it wasn't even in Euro ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Got £20 a week when I was schooling, but I had to do chores around the house ofc... I wasn't given 20 without doing anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never got pocket money. I'd probably give my kid something, to do something once a month with his mates when he's older. But that'll be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Never got weekly pocket money. I would be given a few pound/euros here and there and I saved it up along with money for birthdays/xmas to buy what I wanted. Got a part time job at 15 to pay my way.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I was a kid it was £1 per week, then when I went to secondary school it went up so that I could get my bus ticket with it. Can't remember what it was in punts, but it was about €15 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Corvo

I used get one pound and was thrilled with it - about 16 years ago I suppose? Used spend it all on penny jellies

*pulls another tooth out*

I was handing money to my own mam from the time I got my first job at the age of 15.

By 19 I was two years gone from home

Those two things are not related!!!! My mam and dad gave us anything they could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Got 10 a week, until I was 12 and i got my first job. Worked a few hours on Saturdays and got about 20 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

back in the 90s I got £10 a week from 15 to 17. then I got a job in McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

credit card thankfully. The cheque book was a pain in the balls tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Last time I got pocket money I was 17, that would have been in 2005-2006 and back then I could have got between €10 and €20 a week. It kind of depended with me and things I did around the house.

Spent it on CD's, DVD's or phone credit, or saved it for weeks and weeks to buy new Playstation games. Didn't spend it on skanger drinking really like most people of my age then, the odd week I'd get cans and have a few in a friends house but most of the time it went on games, dvds, albums or credit which I'd have to make last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Our 12YO girl gets €2 a week, maybe another €2 if she does extra housework, its has to be earned though. She wanted converse runners last summer and had to save for them as we'd just bought runners for them. They were best minded things in the house.

When young (70's)I would have gotten £5 for a full day Saturday work on the farm. Graping out sheds, feeding stock, pulling ragworth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Was listening to an item on how much kids get these days, one 19 year old who was re-sitting his leaving is getting about 23 euro a week which by his own admittance was mainly for cheap cans of booze. I wasn't getting any pocket money at that age as I was supposed to look after myself in that regard! :mad:

When you last got pocket money how much was it per week?

About one and sixpence from what i remember. I certainly never got any as a teen. If I wanted any extras at that age I was expected to earn it.

lol @ the 19yo getting €23 to buy booze. No wonder he had to re-sit his leaving. Some parents deserve everything they get. Dopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

_Brian wrote: »

When young (70's)I would have gotten £5 for a full day Saturday work on the farm. Graping out sheds, feeding stock, pulling ragworth.

Same as this; money for work. Great appreciation for value of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Working since I was 13 so I kept my knacker drinking days self-funded :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure when it stopped, but it was certainly never even as much as a fiver, possibly got a couple of quid a week at most and only until 13 or 14. Can remember getting it in pennies to begin with and when inflation (being a year older) made it that I was getting as much as 10p that was a big deal. Could buy loads more half penny sweets then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never got a penny in my life I didn't work for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Never got a penny in my life I didn't work for.

Never got any communion money or conformation money?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A 19-year-old should be working for their own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I used to get about 150 a week until I was about 14 and then it went up to 500. You get good at making it stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I used to get about 150 a week until I was about 14 and then it went up to 500. You get good at making it stretch.

Think you're missing a decimal there, or was that in ruble? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Worked as a lounge boy at 15 for my pocket money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Working two jobs at 14 had to contribute to house funds since working. Now mum to teens and they are so fecking spoiled they have no clue how good they have it. I know I know my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Got the odd couple of quid here and there til I got a job at 15 and have been working the 19 years since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I think my coke & hooker allowance was a couple of k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I didn't get any, but the thirteen year old gets €10 a week. It was €7, but I increased it as she has to pay for basketball and footy after school so it covers them and the one day she's allowed to have lunch outside of school. She saves the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Last time I got pocket money it wasn't even in Euro ...

last time i got it it was £sd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Stopped getting pocket money at about 12. Had a paper round or part time jobs from early teens onwards.

My parents would give me money if I really needed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never got any communion money or conformation money?

Never got paid a penny for anything I didn't make either. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When I was resitting the leaving (and the euro was fairly new) I was getting 30 a week, and working, so deflation has got pretty bad

Advertisement