Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Gallery Rifle a "good reason" for a 357 ?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

im a member of harbour house, looking to get into gallery, havinng spoken to a few people, they recomended 38 special/357.
    bought a lever action, now the liceneing officers are dawlding. anyone one have experience with this type. i know its restricted, i have a monitered alarm, and other firearms. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I would have thought gallery rifle was the only reason for it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

It was a valid reason for licensing mine as the comp rules are for centre fire pistol calibre firearms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

Buckmark1 wrote: »
    It was a valid reason for licensing mine as the comp rules are for centre fire pistol calibre firearms

Hopefully they will grant it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Talk to Clive J, AFAIK its not restricted, & some of the lads in HH got theirs promptly, what is your local Garda Station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Talk to Clive J, AFAIK its not restricted, & some of the lads in HH got theirs promptly, what is your local Garda Station ?

they are restricted as the diameter of the bullet is more than .308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

I know lads have been granted them as unrestricted as its a pistol caliber

My local is carlow but for some reason they have passed it onto kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Then they have an unlicenced firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jaysblades wrote: »
    My local is carlow but for some reason they have passed it onto kilkenny

The district's HQ is in Kilkenny so that's where the Chief Super is.

The law states that any caliber with a bullet diameter greater than .308 or 7.62mm is restricted. .357, .38sp etc.. are 9mm in diameter. Any licence then granted due to ignorance is null and void and your friends would then be in possession of unlicenced restricted firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

AFAIK its not restricted, & some of the lads in HH got theirs promptly.......
    As the lads have said they are in possession of unlicensed firearms.

Not trying to derail the thread, but the topic is germane to the OP. I have met and seen lads in similar positions. One lad with an unrestricted license for a semi auto .223 which he said was the Super's problem not his, another with a Buckmark rifle as an unrestricted firearm even though the law says it's legally a bullpup (restricted firearm), etc, etc. I've even seen firearm dealers making the same mistake and handing out firearms with the person having the wrong type of license.

The law puts the onus on the applicant to know what license they need, and who to apply to for it. Any errors are therefore not the fault of the Super, but you. Look at SI 21/2008 (as amended by 337/2009) for all the info you need.

So please don't try and license it as an unrestricted because even if successful you'll be held to account and the license is invalid as soon as it's issued.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

It is a restricted firearm no matter which way you look at it . What type of lever action are you getting ?

I checked restricted and applied for 357 amo ( it's holds both) I got a chipalara , not spelled right, it's Italian I think, reproduction of the 1876 Winchester Classic cowboy rifle, blued steel , beautie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's usually no problem getting a 357/38 lever action rifle. Some Supers might insist you only use 38s but that's what you'd probably be using in it anyway. 38s have less recoil which is better for competitions.

Yes, they most definitely are restricted but gallery rifle is a legitimate reason for needing one and they are being licenced regularly.

I'm on the lookout for a marlin myself at the moment. They are like hen's teeth though. :-(

Talk to any of the HH lads and they'll help you out.

That's a very nice lever action you don't see many of hem ! All the lever action rifles have gone very scarce there were a few Rossis in Hilltop shop not sure if they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

The 38spl/357mag is restricted as it is above the maximum of 30 calibre (note it's NOT .308 but 30 cal.)

I have just this week renewed my lever action license so I have it 3 years now, time fly's. I had to go for interview with my Chef Superintendent to show my reason for wanting one. I was restricted to .38spl ammo until I showed that I needed .357mag to shoot some International competitions, out to 300y.

Most people use the Marlin model 1894 rifle as it is side ejecting and easy to mount a scope on top. They are nigh impossible to get now, even in the UK, so if you find one buy it.

The .38spl is a nice soft round to shoot and the competitions shot with it here in Ireland are:
    T&P1
    Multi Target
    See the NASRPC website for all the details you could need about Gallery competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

clivej wrote: »
    The 38spl/357mag is restricted as it is above the maximum of 30 calibre (note it's NOT .308 but 30 cal.)
    4. (1) Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:

(2) This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:

(a) single-shot or repeating short firearms capable of discharging only blank ammunition;

(b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—

(i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or

(ii) with a pistol grip, or

(iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):

(i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length is greater than 90 centimetres,

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008

You sure it's "30 cal" Clive?

I'm by no means an expert on firearms, tho I have owned and fired several. It's seemed strange to me when my gun guy put both a .308 and a .357 in my hand to show me the difference. To me it was obvious the .308 was so much bigger, but I guess it's fatter, so that's what it goes by ?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

It's based on the nominal diameter of the rifled section of the bore, through which the bullet travels when fired. In practice, for licensing, this is normally determined by what's stamped on the gun, or stated in its paperwork.

It isn't based on the size of the body of the cartridge case.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

.........the competitions shot with it here in Ireland are:
    T&P1
    Multi Target
    See the NASRPC website for all the details you could need about Gallery competition.

We have a few guys coming to the MNSCI using their lever actions in our Bullseye 360 Rifle Short & Long Course Competitions, they do very well each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Question for the gallery rifle fans...Is anything happening with the M1 carbine gallery section? Also does gallery rifle necessarily have to be shot with lever action?I realise this was mostly due to the UK situation post Dunblane which mandates pistol calibers .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

There were a few lads that shot the M1 last year and a few more are waiting licenses. The m1 can only be a carbine in .30 cal and unmodified . International Gallery rifle has to be shot with a lever action, the rules only specify a pistol calibre otherwise

I dont think it has to be a lever action im pretty sure it can be any pistol caliber rifle. is that not why the lever release rifles were developed in the uk? because it is such a pain in the ass getting a section 5 for a semi?

Semi-auto centerfire rifles are not allowed in the UK.

The M1 carbine is shot here in comps. but there just don't seem to be enough of them entered.

A friend shoots one in the Bullseye comps. held at Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The M1 carbine is shot here in comps. but there just don't seem to be enough of them entered.

A friend shoots one in the Bullseye comps. held at Midlands

Are the M1 carbines up for the chop if the cops get their way?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Are the M1 carbines up for the chop if the cops get their way?

yes it is a semi automatic centerfire rifle.

The lever release rifles were developed to mainly compete in the Civilian Service Matches . They are away of getting around the law in England as they are no longer semi - auto . Much like the long barrelled pistols .
    The M1 carbine is beginning to take of in popularity .

Advertisement