Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you any good at PE in school?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hated PE with passion, had to do it up to Junior Cert, then in 4th year you could pick other options (like a history field) each week. In 5th and 6th year took LCVP instead.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I was in primary school I kicked ass at PE, they used to call me the Bin Ball Bandit (dunno why, I never stole the binball). Secondary school was where it all changed. I was good at rounders, badminton and volleyball. Anything else I was a danger to myself and others. Gymnastics was a complete disaster, we were doing cartwheels, and the teacher was walking us through it. She was sort of holding our waists to help us get all the way over, and when it came to my turn, I got upside down, then wobbled a bit as I came down and managed to kick her right in the face. She was a bitch though, so I didn't feel overly guilty. I wasn't her favourite person before then, and afterwards I was terrified that I'd be her whipping boy, but it turned out great, cos she basically ignored me for my remaining 3 years in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I hated it. It was just an excuse for bullies to assault people without the Guards getting involved. It should be optional - and outside of school hours.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

RayM wrote: »
    I hated it. It was just an excuse for bullies to assault people without the Guards getting involved. It should be optional - and outside of school hours.

Especially dodgeball! My school was too cheap to spring for a couple of those cheapo footballs that would have been ideal for dodgeball. We had to use tennis balls. Destroyed with feckin bruises after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Looking back, I'm annoyed that our PE teacher got paid for 'teaching' us. An absolute layabout that did no work and left us to play football for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I wasn't great at PE. I was pretty far down at the bottom, but there was always some kid who was worse than me. Our PE mostly consisted of track and field, soccer, volleyball, kickball and basketball. One time, we did a few weeks of archery, and while I was really scared of it at the beginning, to everyone's surprise - especially my own - I ended up being the best in the class at it. The boys were upset that a girl outdid them. But my dad - who is excellent at darts (he had multiple dartboards in his office and man cave to practice on) - was very proud.

In high school, I took PE as a summer course, which meant for 6 weeks I was in PE for 6 hours a day. I went to high school in Florida and the summer I chose to fulfill my PE requirement was the summer a huge wildfire broke out nearby and lasted the entire duration of summer school. The air was filled with smoke, and it was deemed unsafe for us to use the outdoor track. So our teacher just dropped us off at the local bowling alley everyday and we ran amuck. We bowled, but we also ate a lot of concession food and played a lot of arcade games. That was the best PE class ever. Thank you, wildfires.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think people are thinking more in terms of sports they disliked rather than proper PE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I liked PE, I started Judo classes at the age of 5 & progressed to boxing at 12.

Discovered alcohol in my mid teens & lapsed, but was always active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think people are thinking more in terms of sports they disliked rather than proper PE.

Well thats the way its taught sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Football in the winter and hiding and smoking when spring arrived

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I got a certificate in PE-ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was crap at football and soccer. Was okay at basketball. I much preferred all the "unconventional" sports like gymnastics, badminton, volleyball...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Loved it. Any excuse to get out and run around and become a sweaty mess. Was part of the school GAA team, playing in the half-back line. Also dabbled in rugby. But I preferred football to any of it. It was just a simpler and easier to organise game. Again, I was a defender and I loved it.

It was a horror show for the kids who didn't enjoy it, I'm sure. But I personally loved it and I was that kid for whom the school PE class was (in my mind) the Olympics or the World Cup Final. So basically a little over-competitive bollocks who made other kids cry when I was taking things was too seriously.

Advertisement