Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you any good at PE in school?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 5:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

I was useless. Like Frasier or Niles Craine.

Couldn't do the horse and hated the trampoline... and the rope- wtf!!!!

So AHers were ye any good at PE in school?

Were you any good at PE in school 49 votes

Yes- I could have been a contender
    0% 0 votes
    No- I forgot my gear again...
    100% 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I could sort of do basketball. Hated GAA but no I'm not a sports orientated person.

If only PE class was pc gaming though I'd rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

not really ...fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Hated PE usually I tryed to skip them or not bring in my PE gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I was going to school PE was standing in the corner having a smoke...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I always loved PE. So much so in fact that I was the one everyone roared at saying "It's just a game". To be fair, she wasclear through on goal, I had to hack her down, 4 ft 2 or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BOMBARDMENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Used to skip PE all the time to study an extra subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

realies wrote: »
    When I was going to school PE was standing in the corner having a smoke...

Hah, we were allowed to sit down to have our smoke for PE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Thought it was fun in primary when we weren't playing conventional games like football or hurling. We played this game called benchball on wet days in a large hall in school, don't know if anyone played it in other schools, was basically like volleyball while two goal keepers stand on benches at either side and you get the ball passed them, was great craic. Also a game called unihawk, well at least that's what the teachers called it, was just hockey on tarmack, could use a puck or a ball, also great fun I loved it. Never liked the other times when we played hurling, wouldn't have the same coordination and I was useless.

Once I went to secondary it was ALWAYS football and I hated that so I dossed it most of the time and stayed in bed if PE was first thing in the morning and I'd wander into school and pray I don't get caught by the PE teacher bringing the rest of the class in off the pitch. Was like a Ninja coming into school timing it to a tee so she didn't bust me on the corridor legging it to class like I didn't miss a class at all.

If it wasn't on in the morning I'd still doss and sneak out and go downtown for an early lunch or sweettalk my way into the library, the librarian was sometimes very accommodating towards my hatred of football for PE.
    We did go to a hotel gym for PE when I was in 5th year with the same teacher, loved that and I showed up every week. For me it depends on the activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

efb wrote: »
    Couldn't do the horse and hated the trampoline... and the rope- wtf!!!!

Well, didn't you go to a fancy school?

We had to run around a field. I wasn't much into combat sports, like GAA or Soccer. :rolleyes: Running was what I was best at, and I wasn't much good at that. I was a scrawny wretch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Never did it, I used to have double P.E before lunch and I always used to go home for lunch early, nobody ever noticed as the P.E teacher never took roll or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

PE in my school consisted of Soccer every week. Totally unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I was sh1te at P.EIt was nearly always bloody laps or dancing too. Got out of it to study an 8th subject for my leaving cert in fifth year so ir was pretty handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I was sh1te at P.EIt was nearly always bloody laps or dancing too. Got out of it to study an 8th subject for my leaving cert in fifth year so ir was pretty handy!

Wish I could have had that option for mine, the joys of a vocational school, I had to settle for the options of studying in the library, an early lunch, heading home early or staying in bed an extra hour, all depending on what time the class was on at. I guess it had it's own perks but if they let me do another subject that interested me I'd have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bounced off the trampoline and broke fingers, that yoke you had to leap across? Couldn't do that, had this really high swing too that I liked, but those monkey bar things that you had to come down the opposite side on? Nightmare. Hated swimming and basketball and stupid rounders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Every child should be made do PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I liked it and I was decent enough at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No I was the fat kid who was picked last for every team.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

PE was great for me on the rare occasions that we did step aerobics or a run around the field. Otherwise the class was spent half-assedly doing drills for, learning the rules of, and then playing/watching a 5-10 min match of various team sports. Feck all physical activity, and deeply boring.
    I have hated participating in and been absolutely shíte at every team sport that I have ever tried. Except maybe rounders in primary school. I almost always hit the ball and was a quick wee runner. Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

cloud493 wrote: »
    No I was the fat kid who was picked last for every team.

I wasn't even fat and I was still picked last!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I liked it except for non violent sports which were complete humiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

wardy2 wrote: »
    Hated PE usually I tryed to skip them or not bring in my PE gear

This. Every time!

Hated my idiot teacher but otherwise loved PE and sports in general. Was good at some things, not so good at others (I'm looking at you, gymnastics).

Still love physical activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I wasn't even fat and I was still picked last!! :(

Ahhhhh, the dodgy leg kicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I enjoyed it but was not so great at it. Hated GAA though, always ended up as the school team versus us pleps. Never bothered actually playing when it worked out like that as I'd just get flattened every time I got the ball. Didn't help that the PE teacher was a raging alco who spent the entire class drinking Irish coffee like it was going out of fashion. Refereeing was not his strong suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I was probably the best at sports out of the girls. I enjoyed it, hated the bleep test twice a year, that was grim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Ahhhhh, the dodgy leg kicker?

Nah, just rubbish hand-eye co-ordination! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

PE in my school was like a big social cliché. One gang of lads went out and kicked/hurled/threw a ball around and the other gang went and sat in the library doing their homework. GAA was the only option - didn't mind, I loved exercising and sports - but no other option was provided for lads who didn't like GAA or sports in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I went to a sporty school where there was a lot of pride in sporting prowess.
    But I was absolutely pants at sports. I used to love taking part and all that, but was always the last boy picked for any team.
    Shure didnt it toughen me up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Peanut wrote: »
    PE in my school was like a big social cliché. One gang of lads went out and kicked/hurled/threw a ball around and the other gang went and sat in the library doing their homework. GAA was the only option - didn't mind, I loved exercising and sports - but no other option was provided for lads who didn't like GAA or sports in general.

Fairly similar here. The boys had a choice between soccer and GAA; the girls had a choice between Cross country and a crafts club (i.e. knitting etc). The utterly lame, like myself, could choose Chess if they couldn't hack ball games. In second year I opted for XC, even though it technically was only for girls, and a bunch of other guys followed suit. The first competition we entered we finished 1, 4, 5, 7, and 9 (me). I don't know why there wasn't a bigger emphasis on athletics, because a lot of the kids were of farming stock and naturally tough and fit. (Not me, though. I was a scrawny city slicker)

Advertisement