Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modest Mouse - Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Worth replying back with some copying and pasting from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/your_rights_when_you_buy_a_service.html

Basically try argue there was no clear representative from MCD to broach a complaint on the night and it was not realistic to do so. You can certainly argue that the subjective part is not relevant when there are several pages of complaints right here on the matter. If you've a significant amount of business done with MCD via ticketmaster you can also go through your TM history and screenshot the relevant to show you are fully aware of the variables of live music but this was an exceptionally poor situation beyond the minimum expected quality. Honestly they probably will continue to do nothing because it is easy for them to do so but at least make the effort rather than accept that nonsense reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Good post.

Probably worth pointing out that I have gotten a refund for gig tickets in the past - the infamous Guns'n'Roses gig in the Point a few years ago. Had to harass them a good bit AND file a claims in the Small Claims Court to get them to actually issue the refund for two tickets, no apology of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

How is it a nonsense reply, in the substantial points?

Band brought and used their own sound equipment, brought their own audio desks, mics, monitor system etc. Their own touring sound technicians. They had plenty of time to soundcheck and to get it right.
    Do you really think that any promoter, MCD or anyone, can step in as the soundcheck is finishing and tell the band, nope you need to carry on sound checking, we don't think it sounds acceptable yet? Band and their crew would tell you to F off.

Fair enough if MCD had provided substandard equipment or allowed reduced time for the band to get it right, but they didn't. The band were effectively self contained sound-wise on this occasion, end of.

Maybe The Helix is a tricky room to run sound in, maybe not. But even if it is, thats what the band pay their professional touring sound techs to deal with, and thats why they carry a truck full of their own custom spec sound desks and mics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

TedR wrote: »
    How is it a nonsense reply, in the substantial points?

What's nonsense about it is the part where they say the issue should have been raised on the night with MCD staff as if...

A.) ...it would have been clear who the MCD staff were
    B.) ...it was realistic to expect someone to leave a, probably hard won, place in a crowd in the middle of the performance to try and find these mythical staff.
    C.) ...the staff would have done anything about it on the night for pretty much all the reasons you stated.

While I wasn't at this particular gig I do know people who were and based on what they've told me and the rest of the reports here it seems fairly obvious that the sound was not acceptable for this performance so to give a reply which amounts to "that's live music!" is fairly insulting.

My argument is that if the gig failed to be presented at a basic minimum level the chain of redress is for the customers to go to the promoter for a refund and the promoter can have it out with the band for their fees back if they were incapable of providing adequate sound.

My interest in this is trying to set a precedence where the "take it on the chin there goes sixty quid for a night" approach when something like this happens is challenged because that can only be better for us all. If the outcome is that the promoter might actually have a word with the sound guy on the night because "mate we're sueing you if you continue this shambles" then I'm not going to shed a tear. I'm fully aware we're not at that stage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Fair play to the people who are pursuing this issue!
    A fuetile cause I fear tho. As MCD have no interest in the quality of the show that is produced. It is ticket sales and profits that is their priority.

It was unbearable to watch the sound engineer swig Budweiser and dance as everybody looked on horrified!

The sound was diabolical and in my opinion never improved all night!
    A real same as Modest Mouse are a great band who rarely come around to these parts!
    Who knows the gig might have been good as far as the bands playing, it was impossible to tell from the sound mix the engineer produced.

There is as far as I'm concerned an epidemic of poor sound engineers in Ireland. There are currently 3 concerts on the front page of this board complaining about poor sound.

Fleetwood Mac - 3 Arena, Damien Rice - Iveagh Gardens, Modest Mouse - The Helix!

After the Neil Young disaster in the RDS in 2013, Its as clear as good be that promoters could not care less on these matters.

If not for the love of the band and the hope things would improve, everybody would have walked out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Fleetwood Mac - 3 Arena, Damien Rice - Iveagh Gardens, Modest Mouse - The Helix!

You can add Avicii at Marlay Park to this also, I've never complained about an MCD gig until I went to this, the sound for The Dead Prezidents was spot on but it seemed to degrade over the night, Clean Bandit sounded pretty okay but Rudimental sub frequencies sounded ****e. When Avicii hit the stage it was hit and miss at points but this could have been down to him on the mixer. I feel like I'm going to get slated for bringing up a dance act in this thread full of musicians who play their instruments live on stage but the core of the issue is still here, the sound was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Just as a side note, a small claims case costs €25, the tickets to the gig were circa €30, only reason I'm leaving the issue and moving on.

I've complained to MCD, exact same response from Kim as another use got above.

Pity how it turned out, was excited about this gig for a few months!

Never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fair play to the people who are pursuing this issue!
    A fuetile cause I fear tho. As MCD have no interest in the quality of the show that is produced. It is ticket sales and profits that is their priority.

It was unbearable to watch the sound engineer swig Budweiser and dance as everybody looked on horrified!

The sound was diabolical and in my opinion never improved all night!
    A real same as Modest Mouse are a great band who rarely come around to these parts!
    Who knows the gig might have been good as far as the bands playing, it was impossible to tell from the sound mix the engineer produced.

There is as far as I'm concerned an epidemic of poor sound engineers in Ireland. There are currently 3 concerts on the front page of this board complaining about poor sound.

After the Neil Young disaster in the RDS in 2013, Its as clear as good be that promoters could not care less on these matters.

If not for the love of the band and the hope things would improve, everybody would have walked out!!!
    only 1 person mentioned poor sound for last weekend's Fleetwood Mac gigs that I can see, saying that the bass was too high.
    2 people said the sound was fantastic.
    I saw them a month ago and the sound was great for that gig too.

they will obviously have had their own sound engineer. Modest Mouse seemingly had their own sound engineer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Just as a side note, a small claims case costs €25, the tickets to the gig were circa €30, only reason I'm leaving the issue and moving on.

I've complained to MCD, exact same response from Kim as another use got above.

Pity how it turned out, was excited about this gig for a few months!

Never again!

Never again to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Sound at outdoor events is often poor, but poor sound in a custom built venue is inexcusable.
    I was at the Neil Young gig and found the sound was fine, as I was central and towards the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

symbolic wrote: »
    Never again to what?

...Would I go to a Modest mouse concert. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I guess nobody managed to get a refund for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Pacifico wrote: »
    I guess nobody managed to get a refund for this?
    Not me anyway. I replied to their dismissive response but I never got a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The only way you'd ever get a refund from an Irish promoter is if the whole venue burned down mid-concert, and maybe not even then. Don't waste your time and effort!

Advertisement