Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modest Mouse - Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

L'prof wrote: »
    If you're going to be pedantic at least get it right!!! 364.25/1

On the venue. I don't think I've ever been to a concert in the Helix. I have seen Modest Mouse in the Radisson in Galway though and thoroughly enjoyed it.

By saying unless it's a leap year, he covered himself there. If you're going to be correcting someone for being pedantic, at least get it right!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

You do realise there's 365 days (365.25) in a year and 366 in a leap year? You include all days in odds. Eg. The odds of any given day being Saturday are 7/1 not 6/1. Please tell I missed some sarcastic joke or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Magnate wrote: »
    You do realise there's 365 days (365.25) in a year and 366 in a leap year? You include all days in odds. Eg. The odds of any given day being Saturday are 7/1 not 6/1. Please tell I missed some sarcastic joke or something...

That's not how bookies odds work. Say there's a marble hidden in one of two pots and you've to pick the one it's hidden in. You've a 50 50 chance, and the odds you'd get in a bookies ignoring profit margins would be 1/1 or evens. Add the two numbers and put the 2nd figure over the sum. So 1+1=2. And 1/2 is the probability. If there was one marble in 3 pots, you'd have a 1/3 chance of being right. Which is 2/1. One in 4 pots is 3/1. And so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Shut up lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

That's not how bookies odds work. Say there's a marble hidden in one of two pots and you've to pick the one it's hidden in. You've a 50 50 chance, and the odds you'd get in a bookies ignoring profit margins would be 1/1 or evens. Add the two numbers and put the 2nd figure over the sum. So 1+1=2. And 1/2 is the probability. If there was one marble in 3 pots, you'd have a 1/3 chance of being right. Which is 2/1. One in 4 pots is 3/1. And so on.

Correct sorry I was mixing up bookies odds and probability. I meant 1/365 and 1/366

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

To bring all the maths genii a little more on-topic, can I just say..

The Universe is shaped exactly like the Earth -
    If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Whether that takes 365 days or 364.whatever days, it hardly matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

In case anyone can't make it, I'll take whatever's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

If anyone can't make it, I'll happily take the tickets off there hands

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Does anybody know the stage times for this one?

All I can find is doors at 8:15.
    Which I guess means a support band is unlikely.

Also is there a bar in the helix?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Does anybody know the stage times for this one?

All I can find is doors at 8:15.
    Which I guess means a support band is unlikely.

Also is there a bar in the helix?

Thanks in advance!

The helix have two support bands down on their website, Hippo Campus and Elle King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

The helix have two support bands down on their website, Hippo Campus and Elle King.

Wow, so I guess there is gonna be some very quick change overs between bands presuming the curfew will be 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

curfew is later for this show
    there are two supports alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone know a good pub nearby? I dont know Ballymun at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Anyone know a good pub nearby? I dont know Ballymun at all

Used to be a student in DCU but that was years ago. The pub opposite the entrance to DCU used to be called the Slipper, now Matt Weldons I think. It used to be OKish. No idea what its like now. There is also a bar open in DCU. Don't know if its open on Friday evenings or if it only open to students. Not much use I'm afraid.

From the MCD website..
    HELIX THEATRE, DUBLIN – FRIDAY 10 JULY 2015

Doors: 8:15pm
    Hippo Campus set: 8:45pm-9:15pm
    Elle King: 9:30pm-10:00pm
    Modest Mouse: 10:30pm-12:00am

Wasn't expecting it to be on that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Have two tickets, probably not going (might be closing on our first house tomorrow and if so, might stay in painting instead of enjoying ourselves :)) - please PM if you want them at cost price.

Used to be a student in DCU but that was years ago. The pub opposite the entrance to DCU used to be called the Slipper, now Matt Weldons I think. It used to be OKish. No idea what its like now. There is also a bar open in DCU. Don't know if its open on Friday evenings or if it only open to students. Not much use I'm afraid.

From the MCD website..

Fairly late but it's a Friday so that's grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

What's the best bus to get to the gig from the city centre?

I'm open to correction, but I think maybe the 13..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

From the MCD website..

That is a very disappointing set time. No consideration at all being shown for fans. It should start earlier if there are 2 support acts. going to be expensive to get home from this gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but I think maybe the 13..

The 9 from College Green or O' Connell St also goes near it, a 9 minute walk away according to Google Maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Peter File wrote: »
    That is a very disappointing set time. No consideration at all being shown for fans. It should start earlier if there are 2 support acts. going to be expensive to get home from this gig

Couldn't disagree more, I hate being rushed into gigs in this country, this is a breath of fresh air.

I wish there was more late gigs more often.

I can see the point of view of people relying on public transport to get home from the gig, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the stage time for MM. The one thing I'd be disappointed with is that the set will 'only' be an hour and a half, but "disappointed" is a vast overstatement.

This will be my first time seeing them and it is my most anticipated gig of the year, really can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Lookin at setlist.com and they fairly change the tunes around every night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I saw Modest Mouse in the Academy back in 2009 I think. It was very enjoyable. I didn’t really know any of their tunes except dashboard back then, but the gig resulted in me getting their back catalogue of albums, and leading on to getting their latest release. Really looking forward to the gig. As already posted, the setlists vary from night to night. Very difficult to predict. Hope Spitting Venom gets played. Never get sick of listening to that epic masterpiece. And would be massive to get The Whale Song. Only heard that tune recently.

Took a while to get in to the new album, but really like it now. Massive variety to the songs when you’ve heard them a few times and they develop their own identity. And love the late start in the Helix. 9pm gigs don’t suit any more with trying to get a couple of toddlers settled into bed in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Does anybody know how much parking costs at the Helix?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

KJ wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much parking costs at the Helix?

It's on the helix site, 4 quid for ur stay I think it said

It's on the helix site, 4 quid for ur stay I think it said

Sound is awful.it might be OK for pop idol or you're a star but this is cat

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Worst sound I've ever experienced at a gig in Ireland.

Shame on them, a basic sound check/practise should have weeded out a lot of the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Pathetic sound, **** venue. It was obvious to everyone after the first song that the sound was brutal, crazy to let it go on like that. Saw them last time in the academy and it was brilliant. Was really looking forward to that but that was a waste of a few hours and 30 quid.

Advertisement