Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord didnt mention payment for repair

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In reality there's no way to determine how much of it you caused. Sedimentation occurs in oil tanks. That's hardly the tenant's business but if you shook the tank or propped it up to get the last few drops out, then it could be your fault.

If it's the result of build-up of sediment over years without any effort to clean the tank out, then it's back on the LL.

As a matter of interest, how many LLs on here have had the oil tank cleaned out in their rented property?

Normally you're not obliged to pay anything unless you are given a receipt. I'd be asking for an itemised bill. If you caused the blockage you need to pay to have the blockage cleared. If the ll wants to throw in a service or have the tank cleaned out at your expenses then I would object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

If OP bled the rads and fecked up the system he is liable. However, if it is a faulty system and the boiler has not been maintained (and this is what caused the problem) this is landlords remit. Boiler should be serviced every 1-1.5 years. And this is the LLs responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AnzeShane wrote: »
    Im just wondering are they allowed to do this if we have to pay for it or do they have to inform us first then we source someone to repair it?

Thanks
    Ok, most post here are saying pay him. That was not the question being asked.
    Actually, the question you asked if you have to pay.
    Please stop reffering to that as it is not an issue, just wanted info on wether they should of informed us first
    No. His house, he decides who fixes the stuff that he owns.

I'd say he's getting you to pay if the person who fixed the oil boiler mentioned that it had been tampered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

the_syco wrote: »

No. His house, he decides who fixes the stuff that he owns.

well not really
    As a Landlord, you must:
    Register the tenancy agreement with the PRTB. If you do not register then you will not be able to avail of the PRTB’s dispute resolutions service and you may be prosecuted.
    Provide your tenant with a rent book (if no written lease is in place) and receipts of payment
    Make sure that your property is in good condition
    Maintain the property to the standard it was at the start of the tenancy
    Reimburse the tenants for any repairs carried out on the structure
    Insure the property
    Provide you tenant with information and contact details of any agent who deals on your behalf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

BoatMad wrote: »
    well not really

How does that not allow the landlord to decide who maintains his property? He must reimburse the tenant if they have incurred a cost to maintain it but that doesn't mean they get first stab at any repair.

• Advertisement

How does that not allow the landlord to decide who maintains his property? He must reimburse the tenant if they have incurred a cost to maintain it but that doesn't mean they get first stab at any repair.

I didn't dispute that bit , Its clearly the landlords job to fix or have fixed on his behalf the heating system. Its not the landlords job to arbitrarily decide the tenant should pay for that. Not knowing the detail here, the proper functioning of the heating system and its maintenance is clearly a matter for the landlord to fix, maintain and PAY for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I didn't dispute that bit , Its clearly the landlords job to fix or have fixed on his behalf the heating system. Its not the landlords job to arbitrarily decide the tenant should pay for that. Not knowing the detail here, the proper functioning of the heating system and its maintenance is clearly a matter for the landlord to fix, maintain and PAY for.

The bit you quoted was about who is doing the fixing not the paying.

Anyway, the damage caused can be considered over and above normal wear and tear and is thus the repsonsibility of the tenant to cover out of their security deposit. Whether they want to dispute this, they will have to do with the PRTB if the landlord doesn't agree.

Anyway, the damage caused can be considered over and above normal wear and tear and is thus the repsonsibility of the tenant to cover out of their security deposit

We dont have the facts to come to that conclusion. No damage is caused to any standard oil fired heating system by letting the oil run out

We dont have the facts to come to that conclusion. No damage is caused to any standard oil fired heating system by letting the oil run out

Yeah which I summed up in if they don't agree with the landlord then take a dispute to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Unless the tank has quite a bit of sediment which can cause gunk to block the system just by running very low or running out...

Or the tenant has made a mess of the bleeding...

There is too much missing information to make a reasoned judgement beyond tenant vs landlord. Is there a plumber here who could give their opinion of the likelihood of it being one or the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

well not really
    Your list. It means nothing to the point I made.
    As per the below, the oil ran out, they went to bleed the air out, and somehow the boiler became broke.
    What happened is that the oil ran out and we went to bleed the air out but turned out it was clogged and couldnt get the new oil in, now they are saying we have to pay

Landlord then gets someone in to fix the boiler, asks the repair person could what have happened without tampering. My guess is the response was along the lines of "tampering caused the issue", and the landlord got the tenants to pay.

The cost decides however, if it was the labour to fix the issue, or labour + part needed to fix the issue. I'm guessing the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

True, half the time, that's how I find out that i need Oil :D

But I would never bleed it myself, normally ask the Oil Delivery Guy, or once asked the LL for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your attitude stinks.
    **cough**

No need for personal comments.

Advertisement