Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord didnt mention payment for repair

Options
  • 04-03-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

The landlord said that I have to pay for the repairs of an item in the house. They went and fixed the job without informing anyone in the house that we had to pay it prior to fixing it. Im just wondering are they allowed to do this if we have to pay for it or do they have to inform us first then we source someone to repair it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It really does matter what was repaired and why it needed repairing.

Did you ask him to repair it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP did you break the item? That's what matters

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, the LL does not have to allow you to get an under-skilled friend to do a half-arsed repair job on his/her house.

If it was a substantial enough break that the LL found out about it - or something besides fair wear and tear that you left behind when you moved out - then you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AnzeShane

What happened is that the oil ran out and we went to bleed the air out but turned out it was clogged and couldnt get the new oil in, now they are saying we have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah I'd say you have to pay, although the damage was not caused directly by you it was through your negligence and I'm sure there is some term in the lease along these lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Get an invoice and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

In general I would agree that on a case like this you have to pay.

But what is the set-up of the oil?
    Is there a filter on the line from the tank to the boiler?
    If there is no filter, then is the system set-up correctly?

Is the cost to replace the filter (I guess less than €50)
    Or is there more substantial cost to the boiler.

I would say it the system was not protected correctly in the first place you have a case, But I am not a plumber and I'm not sure on the general consensus on this.

ok, then, no. Pay the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AnzeShane

Ok, most post here are saying pay him. That was not the question being asked. Please stop reffering to that as it is not an issue, just wanted info on wether they should of informed us first

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well how did they find out about it? Surely you told them first? What do you expect to happen when you tell a landlord that something needs fixing?

Is the issue more that they came to the property unannounced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

AnzeShane wrote: »
    What happened is that the oil ran out and we went to bleed the air out but turned out it was clogged and couldnt get the new oil in, now they are saying we have to pay

Have you asked the landlord how this was your fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

in my view its unreasonable for you to be asked to pay for what is a faulty oil supply system, No heating system shield require work simply because the oil ran out and air locked. If it got sludge in it, it was because the system was either not installed properly or not maintained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Ok, most post here are saying pay him. That was not the question being asked. Please stop reffering to that as it is not an issue, just wanted info on wether they should of informed us first

Your attitude stinks. Oil leaking out of boiler, would be considered an urgent maintenance issue.

Your attitude stinks. Oil leaking out of boiler, would be considered an urgent maintenance issue.

That might be relevant if there had been any oil leaking from the boiler.

read the post , the oil supply ran out ( not leaked) the system air locked ( thats standard. whats not standard is that the sludge choked the system .

The landlord is trying to pin years of poor maintenance or even bad installation on the unfortunate tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You broke it , so of course you should pay. You shouldn't let it run out

ted1 wrote: »
    You broke it , so of course you should pay. You shouldn't let it run out

Thats simply nonsense, no central heating system " breaks" because the oil ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you attempted to bleed the system but incorrectly adjusted the wrong valve (there are generally 2 - one for bleeding the air and the other for adjusting the fuel mix), then you could indeed have caused a lot of damage to the boiler.

If this is the case, then the landlord is correct in getting a qualified person to repair the damage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We don't know exactly how it got clogged. If it is indeed a problem with the installation, lack of filter, etc. you should take a dispute with the PRTB if the landlord will not back down. If it was because of your actions, such as not correctly bleeding the system, or whatever, then it is your fault and you should pay.

Fact is they did attempt to bleed the system which ended up in it being clogged so how or why it clogged is irrelevant. They should have let the landlord deal with this bit but they did it themselves and it needed repair work to rectify.

It would be a whole different story if they had just filled it with oil and informed the landlord it was no longer working after the tank was refilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BoatMad wrote: »
    If it got sludge in it, it was because the system was either not installed properly or not maintained properly.

Or they tipped the tank. I know where my bets would sit.

Irrespective of that: OP, no the LL does not have to consult you first re whether to get it fixed and whether you have a friend who can do it cheaply.

If you wanted to just get it fixed yourself, then you would have done so.

Instead you notified the LL - and at that point s/he became responsible for the repair, and you became liable for the cost if it was due to your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hi all,

The landlord said that I have to pay for the repairs of an item in the house. They went and fixed the job without informing anyone in the house that we had to pay it prior to fixing it. Im just wondering are they allowed to do this if we have to pay for it or do they have to inform us first then we source someone to repair it?

Thanks

They do not have to inform you that they will be getting repairs carried out, ask your permission or ask you to source someone. T

They do, however, need to seek permission to enter the premises unless the repair is an emergency. They also need to pay for repairs themselves if they were not caused by you. From what you have posted it looks like you let the oil run out which caused the issue, so you may indeed be liable for the cost.

Fact is they did attempt to bleed the system which ended up in it being clogged so how or why it clogged is irrelevant. They should have let the landlord deal with this bit but they did it themselves and it needed repair work to rectify.

It would be a whole different story if they had just filled it with oil and informed the landlord it was no longer working after the tank was refilled.

It is nowhere near a fact. Bleeding the oil system after a fill is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, and the reason for the system clogging is perhaps the most relevant thing there could be regarding this thread.
    From what you have posted it looks like you let the oil run out which caused the issue, so you may indeed be liable for the cost.
    This is not certain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This is not certain at all.

Yes thats why i said "may" and "looks like", the OP will need to clarify.

Sorry, but no, Filling the tank is reasonable, attempting to bleed a oil tank is not. I have no idea of the proper procedure to do this and I sincerely doubt the vast majority of people do. Are you really actually saying that its common knowledge how to properly bleed an oil fed heating system?

Sorry, but no, Filling the tank is reasonable, attempting to bleed a oil tank is not. I have no idea of the proper procedure to do this and I sincerely doubt the vast majority of people do. Are you really actually saying that its common knowledge how to properly bleed an oil fed heating system?

anyone I know that has a oil fired central heating system tends to either know how to bleed it or they pay a plumber to do it. Its not an uncommon issue. its certainly within the remit of a DIY person and is typically explained in the operation manual supplied with the burner

If they bleed it incorrectly and damaged something ( which is unlikely ) I would agree they are liable. However they described the system as having clogged , that is either a poor installation or more likely poor maintenance, both of which are the landlords responsibility

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

BoatMad wrote: »
    anyone I know that has a oil fired central heating system tends to either know how to bleed it or they pay a plumber to do it. Its not an uncommon issue. its certainly within the remit of a DIY person and is typically explained in the operation manual supplied with the burner

My parents have an oil central heating system and I was taught as a teenager by my dad how to bleed the air. It's not difficult and can be done easily enough after googling the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's actually a simple procedure, but then some people would call a handyman to change a light bulb. I've bled mine dozens of times over a ten year period and I've also tipped up the tank and I've never got dirt in the jets. But all it takes is a speck. I'd want to know when the filter was changed last if there is a filter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you refill the tank before you tried to bleed it and if you did refill did you leave it settle for a few hours before trying to bleed? If you did both of these than it's most likely the LLs fault and they should cover it, if you didn't pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

No, the LL does not have to allow you to get an under-skilled friend to do a half-arsed repair job on his/her house.

If it was a substantial enough break that the LL found out about it - or something besides fair wear and tear that you left behind when you moved out - then you have to pay.

You continually make negative assumptions without having all the facts. If you insist on posting in such a combative mode you could at least ascertain the facts before you attack.

Advertisement