Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Levy

Options
  • 04-03-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain this health levy to me. I'm 33 now and never had health insurance, to be honest I don't feel I need it yet but am being bullied by the government into getting it to prop up the private health sector! But anyway, do I need to get insurance before May 1st or can I wait until I'm 34 to avoid paying this levy being introduced?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You can wait until your 34. The levy only comes in to play if you take out a policy at age 35 and have never had one before your premium will be an additional 2% for each year 35 and over you age. So with no previous cover if you take a policy out at 35 and regular premium is €500 a year you will pay €510 a year, if you take out a policy aged 55 and the regular premium is €500 a year you will pay €600 a year.

I get the feeling that the 2% figure will rise quickly to keep the overall cost of health insurance for those who do have policies early in life down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

to be honest I don't feel I need it yet
    That's the whole point of insurance - if everyone waited until they needed it, it can't be funded. It needs people paying in when they're younger, as they will be taking out more than they're putting in when they're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It's actually a massive disincentive to take up insurance.

I've never had insurance & am in my early 30s.... This won't make me change that.

Either more young people take up insurance, or fewer older people - either options works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

hmmm wrote: »
    Either more young people take up insurance, or fewer older people - either options works.

Punitively taxing the young won't work first & foremost.

• Advertisement

Punitively taxing the young won't work first & foremost.
    Where are you getting that from? Before the age of 35 there is no levy, it only kicks in if you take out insurance from that age on. It's hitting the older person taking out insurance much harder.

It's not a tax anyway, it's (for once) a genuine lexy. Younger people who don't pay in to health insurance get disproportionate benefit if they wait until they are older to subscribe. It's the young person who has paid for insurance from an early age who loses out at present.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a crossover point in the early 40s where the benefits of health insurance exceed the costs, so if everyone waited until then the system cannot be funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Is there a point being missed here? The health insurance premium is not a "levy", but the government introduced a levy on all private health insurance in 2009. It amounts to €160 per adult and €53 per child, paid by the insurers to the government. Therefore, a family of two adults and two children will be paying €426 per year in this levy. Perhaps that is why the coalition is so anxious for more people to take up private health insurance? One could, perhaps, argue that is yet another stealth tax that, hopefully, might escape public notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I thought the health system was funded from our taxes.

why should we need private health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's funny how with health insurance and risk equalisation they want to force the young to pay so there will be enough funds for old people's health insurance.

With motor insurance there's no risk equalisation so again the young get sh1t on again with excessive charges.

Seems like if you're young you get a raw deal where insurance is concerned in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't have (and never had) health insurance and certainly won't be paying even more for it now (which is why I don't have it in the first place). I'm 40 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

As somebody who will now have to take out health insurance, my outstanding query which no media report is answering is this:

As the government is penalising people who don't take out health insurance before 1 May, does this government policy essentially mean there will be a substantial increase in demand for health insurance and this will thus lead to an increase in the price of health insurance? Or, has this government included some safeguards to prevent profiteering by private health insurance companies (a profiteering which would not be possible but for this government's interference in the free market)?

Thank you in advance to anybody who will clarify this situation.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    this will thus lead to an increase in the price of health insurance
    There's no evidence it will do this. There seems to be pretty good competition in this market at present. Prices have been increasing because of the costs that government run hospitals were loading onto private insurance subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

As somebody who will now have to take out health insurance, my outstanding query which no media report is answering is this:

As the government is penalising people who don't take out health insurance before 1 May, does this government policy essentially mean there will be a substantial increase in demand for health insurance and this will thus lead to an increase in the price of health insurance? Or, has this government included some safeguards to prevent profiteering by private health insurance companies (a profiteering which would not be possible but for this government's interference in the free market)?

Thank you in advance to anybody who will clarify this situation.

The levy is designed to get younger people to join and so would tend to reduce the price of health insurance. Certainly, new bare bones policies have been introduced which are cheaper than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

hmmm wrote: »
    There's no evidence it will do this. There seems to be pretty good competition in this market at present. Prices have been increasing because of the costs that government run hospitals were loading onto private insurance subscribers.
    The levy is designed to get younger people to join and so would tend to reduce the price of health insurance. Certainly, new bare bones policies have been introduced which are cheaper than before.

But an increase in demand, as far as I'm aware, generally leads to an increase in price while a decrease in demand generally leads to suppliers reducing prices to attract business. Why would this not happen in the event of increased demand in the health insurance market?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annaP79

it is so annoying! we pay taxes, prsi, USC, water charges, property tax, the list gets longer and longer with all the taxes we pay and now we are told we must take out health insurance ??
    what?
    where is all the money we are paying going now?
    seriously, who earns enough to cover for all that, everything goes up! rents in dublin are crazy! transport very expensive and now this?
    and it would be good to start putting sth aside for pension too in your 30ties!

why then gov doesnt reduce tax to flat 15% or whatever , no prsi, no USC and let people take everything privately, at least then we would have money to do that, not to worry that better off would pay less, they can afford tax advisers who tell them how to avoid taxes already so at least average person could have more in her pocket at the end of the month

i am annoyed and worried
    and i dnt have children, i have no idea how people with kids manage

and yes, the hope is that insurance premiums will go down as more people sign on...right!...do you seriously believe that private insurers will do that? i dnt think so

But an increase in demand, as far as I'm aware, generally leads to an increase in price while a decrease in demand generally leads to suppliers reducing prices to attract business. Why would this not happen in the event of increased demand in the health insurance market?
    An increase in demand for a product in limited supply will lead to an increase in price, but private healthcare isn't in limited supply. The more demand there is, the more places there will be, the more doctors will service it.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it wouldn't make sense to me why it would happen when there is proper competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ART6 wrote: »
    Is there a point being missed here? The health insurance premium is not a "levy", but the government introduced a levy on all private health insurance in 2009. It amounts to €160 per adult and €53 per child, paid by the insurers to the government. Therefore, a family of two adults and two children will be paying €426 per year in this levy. Perhaps that is why the coalition is so anxious for more people to take up private health insurance? One could, perhaps, argue that is yet another stealth tax that, hopefully, might escape public notice?

OP seems to be on about LCR, not the Health Insurance Levy.

annaP79 wrote: »
    it is so annoying! we pay taxes, prsi, USC, water charges, property tax, the list gets longer and longer with all the taxes we pay and now we are told we must take out health insurance ??
    No-one is forcing you to take out private insurance, but what the levy is doing is making it more expensive for you to wait until you are older and more likely to get sick to take it out.

The current situation is hugely unfair on younger people who do take out insurance, as they end up paying more than they need to. The levy will help correct that.

I wonder has anyone challenged this Community Rating in the courts?

An increase in this demand, which can be met more cheaply than the present demand, can reduce prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annaP79

i think that the older you get the higher premium you pay anyway so this is how older people taking up insurance are "penalised " already, no gov levy is needed to correct the situation
    and there is so much waste and bad management going on in the health service anyway that not extra money in but better control of whats already there is needed to improve anything
    levy is another gov gimmick to show they care when in fact they haven't got a clue what they are up to

i think that the older you get the higher premium you pay anyway so this is how older people taking up insurance are "penalised " already, no gov levy is needed to correct the situation

I suspect you aren't very well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've never had insurance & am in my early 30s.... This won't make me change that.
    I had insurance and dropped it, less than a year later I had to have surgery and the cost was so low that it made me regret ever having insurance (like it was less than 1 year premium). I'm also in my early 30s and I will certainly wait until I'm 34 to get insurance (which isn't that soon :mad: ;)).

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Where were the "we already pay" brigade when they were discussing universal health insurance? Unlike water, this was actually going to be paying twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is.

That is a good question.

There are incentives in the system which mean that consultants and hosps want to keep private practice as they earn huge income from it.

So there are vested interests who want the two-tier system to stay.

It is a bit of a joke of a system

Just seems to me to be propping up the cosseted medical profession in Ireland.
    I mean, most consultants are going to know that most people will have health insurance and will charge accordingly.
    same with those who provide MRI services and private hospitals.

What ever happened to the Troika suggestion in the bailout programme to open up the medical, law and other professions to more competition and free market rules?

It is a bit of a silly thing to implement just as the economy is turning around and people have a bit of extra €€€€ in their pockets

It is a bit of a joke of a system

Just seems to me to be propping up the cosseted medical profession in Ireland.
    I mean, most consultants are going to know that most people will have health insurance and will charge accordingly.
    same with those who provide MRI services and private hospitals.

What ever happened to the Troika suggestion in the bailout programme to open up the medical, law and other professions to more competition and free market rules?

It is a bit of a silly thing to implement just as the economy is turning around and people have a bit of extra €€€€ in their pockets
    The government has totally ****ed up the Legal Services Regulation Bill; firstly by taking 4+ years to implement it and secondly by removing the aspect of allowing barristers/solicitors to form partnerships and allowing barristers to work in-house without disbarring themselves.

Another fine FG/Lab mess. In terms of medicine, I don't think consultants are to blame on this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Thats not really true. Its generally more expensive to buy bespoke products that are low in demand than to buy high demand product that can therefore be massed produced. Unless there is a supply shortage, an increase in demand will often lead to lowering of prices. In respect to insurance, the more people you have that are willing to come together and share the risk between them, it makes sense that the cost of providing insurance goes down. That however, assumes a standard distribution of the participants within the pool which we currently do not have and which this levy hopes to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

what?
    where is all the money we are paying going now?
    seriously, who earns enough to cover for all that
    Unless you are earning like 50k+, you are actually not paying that much in taxes.
    Compared with how large the budget is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

sarumite wrote: »
    Thats not really true. Its generally more expensive to buy bespoke products that are low in demand than to buy high demand product that can therefore be massed produced. Unless there is a supply shortage, an increase in demand will often lead to lowering of prices. In respect to insurance, the more people you have that are willing to come together and share the risk between them, it makes sense that the cost of providing insurance goes down. That however, assumes a standard distribution of the participants within the pool which we currently do not have and which this levy hopes to address.

I fail to see how it addresses it tbh. It's saying that you don't need health insurance until you're 35 really, and for anyone over that age to get it now or be priced out of the market forever. If anything I'd imagine it'll just lead to an influx of older people before May rather than it doing anything for younger generation.

Advertisement