Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€55,000 a year to stare at chick's bottoms 12 hours a day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kelly06 wrote: »
    What!!!Why!!!

Why don't they let them grow into chickens? I get that hens are left for laying eggs. But a chicken can be either male or female before it reaches puberty. Or so I thought anyways. :(
    logik wrote: »
    You thought wrong. Female chicks are not left alive to lay eggs. It is the female chickens that we eat. The males are not sold into supermarkets etc. Even though there is nothing really wrong with eating roosters, slightly more gamey taste.

As for a chick being a male or female until puberty, you thought wrong again. That would be like saying a puppy can be a female or male until they reach puberty.

Yeah, I had thought the males also don't grow large enough to be cost effective.

I remember one of the processors basically saying "if you know someone who want X thousand male chicks then let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Nino Brown wrote: »
    This always made me curious as to why vegetarians eat eggs. The won't eat the chicken because killing chickens is "wrong", but they will eat the eggs, despite millions of male chickens being killed in the process of getting the eggs.
    Vegetarians are not really vegetarians and they will eat animal products and often animals too (such as fish) - we just tend to use the term incorrectly.

As to why they will eat some animal products and not others, it could be for health considerations, personal taste (some people just don't like red meat) or idiocy.

When I say idiocy, I mean emotive reasons that make it difficult for them to eat certain animals because of emotional attachment (e.g. horse, rabbit) or because of visible farming practice, but as long as the farming practice is unknown or hidden, then it's OK.

For example, chickens will have stopped laying eggs by the time they're about 18 months old, yet their natural life span will generally be over five years. Do you think that poultry farmers feed and house chickens that produce nothing for over three years? That chickens get to 'retire' in Florida?

So those who won't eat chicken because they don't like what happens to them, yet eat eggs are effectively supporting the same practice - you can't have one without the other, unless people would be willing to pay for those chickens to live a long and natural life - and pay 25 Euro for a half dozen eggs...

In short, 'vegetarians' will sometimes eat eggs despite not eating chicken for the same reason that they'll post videos and photos of cute kittens on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

logik wrote: »
    You thought wrong. Female chicks are not left alive to lay eggs. It is the female chickens that we eat. The males are not sold into supermarkets etc. Even though there is nothing really wrong with eating roosters, slightly more gamey taste.

As for a chick being a male or female until puberty, you thought wrong again. That would be like saying a puppy can be a female or male until they reach puberty.

Lol. What I meant was a 'chicken' is the word for the bird of either sex before it reaches maturity. After maturity it's hen or rooster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

12 hour shift is the worst part of this, don't know why they can't split it into 3x8 rather then 2x12 shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

For example, chickens will have stopped laying eggs by the time they're about 18 months old, yet their natural life span will generally be over five years. Do you think that poultry farmers feed and house chickens that produce nothing for over three years? That chickens get to 'retire' in Florida?

Some actually don't get killed, obviously most probably do, but they give a lot away to people who keep chickens as a hobby. My auld lad has a few of them. They still lay too, but their best laying days are just behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Kelly06 wrote: »
    What do they do to them? Wait do I even want to know? It's bad right?

View at your own discretion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

SoftMicro wrote: »
    chicks with dicks?

I think they want them without...I certainly want without!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

the_monkey wrote: »
    12 hour shift is the worst part of this, don't know why they can't split it into 3x8 rather then 2x12 shifts.

You'd have to train another sexer.
    Dunno what happens if one sexer gets sick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Couldn't do it if it paid £250,000 a year. Horrifying job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Couldn't do it if it paid £250,000 a year. Horrifying job.
    In fairness, for £250,000 a year I probably would make the sacrifice. It's the boredom I'd have most difficulty with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe the reason people don't want the job is more to do with wit watching this all day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtA3msHGusQ (Chick Grinder, don't watch it if that kind of thing bothers you).

This always made me curious as to why vegetarians eat eggs. The won't eat the chicken because killing chickens is "wrong", but they will eat the eggs, despite millions of male chickens being killed in the process of getting the eggs.

In fairness though, gruesome as it may seem, that grinder is a pretty quick death, if I had a choice between electric chair, lethal injection, or grinder I'd pick grinder.

Millions of animals are also killed in growing crops, from habitat destruction, to pesticides, to getting eaten up in machinery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Not sure why you'd want to train for 3 years for a monotonous job which will soon be replace by IR sensors and a robotic arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

How can you watch a chickens ass whilst looking at boards? I'm out....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure why you'd want to train for 3 years for a monotonous job which will soon be replace by IR sensors and a robotic arm.

Don't know what an IR sensor can do that takes a human three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness, for £250,000 a year I probably would make the sacrifice. It's the boredom I'd have most difficulty with.
    With £250,000 a year I'm sure you could afford an audible subscription or plenty of audiobook downloads to get past the boredom...

For that kind of cash I'd happily kill people, never mind chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Sleepy wrote: »
    With £250,000 a year I'm sure you could afford an audible subscription or plenty of audiobook downloads to get past the boredom...

For that kind of cash I'd happily kill people, never mind chicks.

I don't have £250,000. Will £80,000 do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't know what an IR sensor can do that takes a human three years.
    Blood test for hormones or chromosomes , ultrasound or xray to check internal organs

in the future they might even do it at the egg stage

or using FACS even at the sperm stage if someone develops the right technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I'd do it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Id do it for 30 grand, the job title itself is guaranteed to get you layed all the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement