Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€55,000 a year to stare at chick's bottoms 12 hours a day

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

But yet nobody wants to do it..
    Job title: Chicken sexer

Salary: £40,000 per annum

Hours of work: 12 hours a day

Job description: Stare at chicks’ backsides

Despite the generous salary, nobody wants this job.

The UK’s poultry industry is struggling to get people to determine the sex of newly-hatched chicks, and it could hit exports.

It actually takes three years to learn the tiny differences between male and female chicks and then you’re expected to determine the sex within three to five seconds.

That’s between 800 and ,1,200 chicks a day – plus you’re expected to have a 97-98 per cent accuracy.

Andrew Large, chief executive of the British Poultry Council, told The Times: ‘It takes three years to train someone so they develop the sensitivity and dexterity to reliably sex the bird and a lot of people don’t want to spend that amount of training.

‘I think the problem is the job itself. You are spending hours every day staring at the backside of a chick. That is not seen as being attractive.

‘In southeast Asia a chick sexer is a high status job. In the UK it is more likely to be the butt of humour.

Source.

Don't think I could do it tbh, not with knowing what they do to all the male chicks.

Would you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Don't think I could do it tbh

Nonsense, I bet you've handled more cocks than most have had hot dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe if they weren't 12 hour days people would be interested? nobody wants to work excessive hours regardless of what the job actually entails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd get bored after about two minutes and say fuggit, chances are they are split somewhere around the 50/50 mark between male and female.

So I'd just chuck every second one down the chute and hope for the best.

They all taste the same in a Snack Box anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Unfair!

I stare at women's bottoms for about the same amount of time, and I get NOTHING!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

I wouldn't be able to work all day with a hard on. I'd be no use to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Talk about a misleading title...

Doesn't seem to much of a story there? The job isn't seen as particularly satosfactory because of what it actually entails and requires 3 years of presumably poorly paid training. Pretty obvious there won't be a large qualified group of candidates to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭HoratiJoe

So if you **** it you may get bird flu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd get fired, I'd eat them before they hatched. I'm a monster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

In Ireland this would be considered a Jobs bridge position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

But yet nobody wants to do it..

Don't think I could do it tbh, not with knowing what they do to all the male chicks.

Would you?

What do they do to them? Wait do I even want to know? It's bad right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Kelly06 wrote: »
    What do they do to them? Wait do I even want to know? It's bad right?

They're fed into a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hen, Hen, Trap, Hen, Trap, Trap, Hen, Trap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

What!!!Why!!!

Why don't they let them grow into chickens? I get that hens are left for laying eggs. But a chicken can be either male or female before it reaches puberty. Or so I thought anyways. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Could they not just genitaly modify them to be all the same sex?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    In Ireland this would be considered a Jobs bridge position.

JobBridge.

Where does the "s" come from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Best of luck to whoever gets the job.

SoftMicro wrote: »
    Could they not just genitaly modify them to be all the same sex?

Fowl sexist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Fowl sexist!

chicks with dicks?

SoftMicro wrote: »
    chicks with dicks?

Yes, that's more eggalitarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not only is the job probably stressful but you also have the happy knowledge knowing all the males ones are sliding down a chute into a grinder. Happy work environment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And manufactured into what delicious product that we take for granted is made from prime chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So what sort of fckin chickens am I eating?

Tbh that bloody wing thing looked the bloody same. And that's all I can think of is that Australian accent.

Is supermacs still open? Getting a bit peckish for chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Oh just put a a few big tv screens on one side of the room with soccer, American football and Top Gear playing. All the male chicks will gravitate towards that side and the female chicks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Maybe if they weren't 12 hour days people would be interested? nobody wants to work excessive hours regardless of what the job actually entails.

Scarlett Johanssons private masseuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Yeah, maybe the reason people don't want the job is more to do with wit watching this all day:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtA3msHGusQ (Chick Grinder, don't watch it if that kind of thing bothers you).

This always made me curious as to why vegetarians eat eggs. The won't eat the chicken because killing chickens is "wrong", but they will eat the eggs, despite millions of male chickens being killed in the process of getting the eggs.

In fairness though, gruesome as it may seem, that grinder is a pretty quick death, if I had a choice between electric chair, lethal injection, or grinder I'd pick grinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I wish I hadn't went and looked up what happens to the male chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Unfair!

I stare at women's bottoms for about the same amount of time, and I get NOTHING!
    :mad:

Sounds like you've learned something about yourself so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

3 Year to learn, my god, if it is so hard to ID them why not wait till they are a few weeks older, to ID them, then any old fool can do it. Requires a 97-98% accuracy rate too.
    What does training involve a shock collar and an experienced chicken sexer, watch over .
    You: Male
    Chicken Sexer: Correct
    You Male:
    Sexer: Incorrect(Pushes Shocker)
    You: I was really sure that was a male.
    Sexer: Okay sorry, we call that one a draw
    You: I hate you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Kelly06 wrote: »
    What!!!Why!!!

Why don't they let them grow into chickens? I get that hens are left for laying eggs. But a chicken can be either male or female before it reaches puberty. Or so I thought anyways. :(

You thought wrong. Female chicks are not left alive to lay eggs. It is the female chickens that we eat. The males are not sold into supermarkets etc. Even though there is nothing really wrong with eating roosters, slightly more gamey taste.

As for a chick being a male or female until puberty, you thought wrong again. That would be like saying a puppy can be a female or male until they reach puberty.

Advertisement