Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk reception

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Newstalk is terrible with me up here in North Donegal.

I can't get it in the house at all.

In the car, its usually ok but can get iffy depending on where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your up early 😉 yes I appreciate that and they've no obligation to insure decent reception but they do promote themselves as a National Radio station, not local. As I've admitted I do live quite rural, have a genuinely excellent radio and its just extraordinary how bad reception for newstalk is, basically impossible to listen too, so generally and not ideal listen on the APP.

Bizzarely I can pick up local stations in wicklow (I'm in Laois)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

Even Classic Hits (formally 4fm) which is only in 4 cities & 5 counties make themselves sound fully national with their "Ireland's classic Hits radio" slogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am surprised about the comments and discussion.

Newstalk has the same amount of transmitters than Today FM to cover the Republic of Ireland. Also the power of the transmitters seems the same.

Any reception issues are more likely down to the radio or some other electromagnetic disturbance than anything else.

Classic Hits is a different debate, they have far fewer transmitters and no coverage for the whole Republic of Ireland, - however they could have, if they were licensed to do so. There are more than enough FM frequencies available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is actually a fair disparity between Newstalk and Today FM in transmitter locations and power output. Today FM have very high power on the main transmitters. But Newstalk has some fill in locations e.g. Ridge of Cappard 105.8 for Laois/Offaly which neither Today FM or RTE use.

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/Irish_Radio.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have always found today FM have better coverage on Dublin Donegal route than Newstalk. Also the Dublin Cork road but I have not tested recently.

What I have noticed for months if not longer is a digital echo like a digital link is getting interference and a replaying a fraction of a second of audio. It sometimes happens a few times within a few minutes and I am listening on FM without changing frequency. I know nationally the backbone between transmitters is digital and I suspect a bad link somewhere, partly dropping out for a fraction of a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dom the chemist

The disparity in power on that list is very interesting, e.g Classic Hits using just 0.5kw of power in Clifden Connemara, whereas Today FM are using 6kw there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Open to correction here but those Today FM powers look wrong, they’re the same power as the RTÉ stations at the main sites iirc. In some cases the powers are the max licenced powers too, I read before that RTÉ are using 100kW from Mt Leinster (there’s no way Today FM are using 400k from Mt Leinster - that would make it the most powerful FM transmitter in the British Isles)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Newstalk should be on 567 AM instead of all this poorly engineered crap around the country - none of their transmitters are in sync and the audio levels are all over the place depending on which transmitter you are tuned to.

Advertisement