Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk reception

• 03-03-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before.

How common is bad Newstalk reception?

I have very weak coverage on my drive into town (south Dublin city) and when walking around town (esp. Quays, Nassau Street and Grafton Street). When I'm driving outside of Dublin, forgetaboutit.

This is the old-fashioned FM radio on my phone and car obviously.

I would love to move the dial for longer periods in the day, but when you're just getting weak signal (or no signal at all), it's hard to stay loyal.

Somedays I'll literally be walking by Newstalk Towers and won't be able to pick it up. I know they obviously don't have an antenna there, it just strikes me that they must be aware of this problem themselves??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dodgy reception from Newstalk down in East Cork also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

conorh91 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before.

How common is bad Newstalk reception?

I have very weak coverage on my drive into town (south Dublin city) and when walking around town (esp. Quays, Nassau Street and Grafton Street). When I'm driving outside of Dublin, forgetaboutit.

This is the old-fashioned FM radio on my phone and car obviously.

I would love to move the dial for longer periods in the day, but when you're just getting weak signal (or no signal at all), it's hard to stay loyal.

Somedays I'll literally be walking by Newstalk Towers and won't be able to pick it up. I know they obviously don't have an antenna there, it just strikes me that they must be aware of this problem themselves??

Are you tuned to 107.6 ? Thats the only explanation I can think of for poor reception in Dublin city,

Newstalk on 106.0 is 10kw from 3 Rock giving it a crystal clear signal across Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Ah jeez, tell me about it, its the one national station that has poor reception for me in the south east.When I am out and about with my headphones on, I have to twist and turn myself to try and get better reception to hear an item that I am listening to.I also have to switch between either 107.2 and 107.6 frequencies to try to get it right.

its a national station, it should be loud and clear.

Joe D comes out at me very well......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

For a so-called "national" station, their reception is pathetic. I can pick up any station I want on my mobile phone radio, apart from Newstalk. It doesn't even register.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Have to agree, try to listen on my morning commute through city centre but the signal is not reliable. Always happens when it's a topic I am really interested in listening to as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Yes, driving from Waterford to Cork it can be really frustrating.

Also seems to be at different volumes on different frequencies.

One minute you're hearing it all fine, then you need to raise volume as frequency changes, then lower it again as it changes back.
    Find Today FM like that in relation to volume changing in the South East, but at least reception is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

People seem to have forgotten that newstalk is not an national station but a quasi- ntational station

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Newstalk reception issues should be reported by people living in Lahinch & Ballyferriter; not in Dublin. 106.0 in Dublin should technically be the strongest station of them all as it won't suffer multipath interference from buildings etc as its a mono signal.

Check your radio and make sure it's tuned to 106.0 else its your equipment

East Cork shouldn't be too bad either; down SE Cork reception should be ok on 107.6 from Dungarvan, 107.8 from the city or 107.4 from Mullaghanish. North East Cork has 107.0 near Mallow; 107.4 Mullaghanish and Fermoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Anyone know if there has been a change to transmitter power levels or frequencies recently?
    I can usually tune in to either 107.2, 107.4 or 107.6 though none of them are particularly strong signals

Have started to experience fading and echoing in the area between Cahir and Mitchelstown the last few weeks (not to mention locking on to a transmission from a church in Cahir!). It's becoming impossible to maintain a stable signal for any length of time.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carlowmanken

I travel from Carlow to Portlaoise regularly, and the reception along that route is now awful. I'm hearing the echo as well.
    And a few times I've heard the sound being replaced my a mass from a church - but the station name on RDS stays as "Newstalk"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I travel from Carlow to Portlaoise regularly, and the reception along that route is now awful. I'm hearing the echo as well.
    And a few times I've heard the sound being replaced my a mass from a church - but the station name on RDS stays as "Newstalk"
    Church likely isn't broadcasting RDS signal so the NEWSTALK RDS will stay on your screen depending on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It's pure Crap in south kk. Comes and goes,and that's in the house. Have to listen on an Internet radio. Most times can't be bothered tuning in. Reported it to them but heard nothing. It's been like that for years...Very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone know if there has been a change to transmitter power levels or frequencies recently?
    I can usually tune in to either 107.2, 107.4 or 107.6 though none of them are particularly strong signals

Have started to experience fading and echoing in the area between Cahir and Mitchelstown the last few weeks (not to mention locking on to a transmission from a church in Cahir!). It's becoming impossible to maintain a stable signal for any length of time.

Noticed that myself when on the N24 from Cahir to Clonmel.

Newstalk have a transmitter on 107.4 in Clonmel. However there is also a transmitter on 107.4 in Fermoy, and from Mullaghanish on the Cork/Kerry border. Around Clonmel 107.4 should be rock solid however in fringe areas you often have two transmitters cutting in on each other. This is very evident on the N20 between Limerick and Cork as there is a transmitter near Mallow on 107.0 and the main one for Limerick city and county is also on 107.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I'm in Dublin 16 and often can't get it in the morning, can just pick up bloody sunshine fm in its place...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

marno21 wrote:
    Church likely isn't broadcasting RDS signal so the NEWSTALK RDS will stay on your screen depending on the radio.

Do the churches have a license to broadcast on FM? Seems well dodgy that they can be allowed to jam a commercial station.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

I'm in Dublin 16 and often can't get it in the morning, can just pick up bloody sunshine fm in its place...

Should have no issue with Newstalk on 106.0 in Dublin 16. Perhaps your radio isn't upto the job
    Do the churches have a license to broadcast on FM? Seems well dodgy that they can be allowed to jam a commercial station.

No. But seeing as there would be uproar if they were taken off air they are left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

marno21 wrote:
    Should have no issue with Newstalk on 106.0 in Dublin 16. Perhaps your radio isn't upto the job

It's just morning times, all I can pick up is sunshine around the 106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Sunshine is 106.8 though?

Maybe check your tuner

I just had a look on twitter, there seems to be a lot having similar problems, so its not my radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Pretentious shower in there anyway. Can't stand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Was down in Waterford recently and the reception was dreadful.

107.2 was coming in grand.
    107.4 had constant "pops" and crackling.

Unfortunately the radio seemed to prefer 107.2 and I had no sooner manually tuned to 107.2 and the AF would auto-switch itself back to 107.4.

I'm still hearing an echo. Its dreadfull!

For the past couple of months their RDS name is showing random letters half the time, it changes every few seconds. Its doing that on my kitchen radio, car and my missus car, my kitchen radio is showing all the signal bars.
    Then the car radio starts beeping and jumps to Lyric!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Antenna

For the past couple of months their RDS name is showing random letters half the time, it changes every few seconds. Its doing that on my kitchen radio, car and my missus car, my kitchen radio is showing all the signal bars.

DO you know what transmitter or at least what frequency you are receiving the station on ?
    Then the car radio starts beeping and jumps to Lyric!!!!!

Is car radio in Traffic Announcements mode??? turn it off and see does that cure it (pressing button marked TA or TP or TI or else in Menu depending on radio)

Hi,
    This is strange, I'm getting what sounds like spanish or italian radio stations cutting in on newstalk. Newstalks name is staying on my radio - its like this today and one day last week. Its on my car radio and my radio in the house.
    Not sure what frequency, but I'm in Carlow and heard it in the car while driving to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ah lads last few months newstalk has been terrible down here for me

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very old thread but since I'm here, utterly crap reception in my house , laois area . Have a great Bose radio, no issues with any other FM channels, every frequency Newstalk on, is terrible. Not much better in the car until I reach nearest town .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭larchielads

No matter what frequency i try to tune into on my cars radio theyre all crap for newstalk, today fm 2fm rte radio all perfect.

• Advertisement

Advertisement