Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rimfire Cartridge?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a smallbore rimfire, either .17 HMR, .22 LR or .22 WMR.

Mostly rabbiting, not too keen on foxing. Accurate out to the 100 yard mark with a decent selection of ammunition?

Not too worried about cost of running it as I won't be going crazy. What calibre would ye recommend to a rifle beginner (done a bit with the shotgun)?

Also is it illegal to shoot a target outside of an authorised range to zero a gun for hunting?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BrownTrout wrote: »
    What calibre would ye recommend to a rifle beginner (done a bit with the shotgun)?
    Two rounds come to mind.

The .17hmr and the .22lr. I've owned/own both. I done a post on these two before. I'll stick it here and see if it helps.

Most .22lr rounds are subsonic. With or without a suppressor they will be quieter because the bullet does not break the sound barrier and hence does not create as much noise. The .22lr is a great gun and excellent for bunnies and the occasional fox, but only to a certain distance.

The .17hmr rounds are supersonic. This means they will create a bang when fired. However if you were to fire a stinger or other such supersonic round in a .22lr then you'd get the exact same noise, the same instability in flight (in wind) as a hmr. The hmr ammo is more expensive, but when you are talking €17 for 50 hmr and €8 for 50 .22lr it's not going to break the bank.

Some comparisons (most are averages).

Cost | .22lr | .17hmr |
    Per 50 | €8 | € 17 |

Speeds | .22lr | .17hmr |
    fps | 1,050 | 2,200 |

Energy | .22lr | .17hmr |
    Muzzle |
    |
    |
    50 yd |
    |
    |
    100 yd |
    |
    |
    150 yd |
    |
    |
    200 yd |
    |
    |

Drops | .22lr | .17hmr |
    50 yd |
    0"
    |
    -0.25"
    |
    100 yd | 6.5" - 8" |
    0"
    |
    150 yd |
    24"
    |
    1.75"
    |
    200 yd |
    52"
    |
    5"
    |

Side by side comparison with both set at 50 yard zero (instead of the above where the .17hmr has a 100 yard zero)

As can be seen from the tables & Ballistic chart above, the .17hmr:
    • Drops less over 200 yards than the .22 does from 50 to 80 yards.
    • It carries a minimum of double the impact energy of the .22lr.
    • In a 10mph, 90 degree crosswind, it has slightly less but almost the same wind drift as the .22lr.
    • Has up to 3 times the accurate distance of the .22lr.
    • For whatever use it is the 17hmr will cover the distance in half the time of the .22lr.

The only real different is noise. However comparing a supersonic round against a subsonic one is like comparing a Fiesta and a Ferrari because they are both cars. Plus i have a CZ in .17hmr, and a Savage 93r17 in .17hmr. The CZ uses a SAK mod and it quietens the crack but it's still fairly loud. The Savage has a T4 AR suppressor and it is VERY quiet. Much quieter than the CZ. Still not as quiet as a ,22lr with subsonics, but much quieter than i thought it would be.

Plus, as said above, if you do day time shooting where your distances can be much longer as you can see backstops, and shoot safer, you want something that'll not only reach the distance, but do it without having to sit down for 5 minutes and do maths, and then wonder if it'll do much more than tickle the animal when you hit it.

Lastly, if you are interested in target shooting then the .22lr is a necessity as .17hmr have no place in comps (rimfire ones). If this is not a concern then i'd be looking at the .17hmr. It's so good i bought two. :D

Savage 93r17

CZ 455

Also is it illegal to shoot a target outside of an authorised range to zero a gun for hunting?
    Yup.

It'd be a bad Garda that would do you for it especially considering the Minister for justice at the time said he never meant to ban zeroing outside a range for lads that are not members of a range. However he never changed the law and it still remains illegal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mostly rabbiting, not too keen on foxing. Accurate out to the 100 yard mark with a decent selection of ammunition?

Not too worried about cost of running it as I won't be going crazy. What calibre would ye recommend to a rifle beginner (done a bit with the shotgun)?

I'll answer the last part. Stupid n all as it sounds but yes, it's illegal to shoot a target outside of an authorised range, even if you are only zeroing your gun. Pure mad, but that's the way they (badly) wrote the law.

Someone more qualified can answer your other questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Thanks lads.
    Cass, are those stats with the 17g or the 20g HMR round?
    Is there much difference between the impact the ballistic tipped rounds and the hollow points make?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cass, are those stats with the 17g or the 20g HMR round?
    20gr (IIRC) to keep the comparison as close as possible.
    Is there much difference between the impact the ballistic tipped rounds and the hollow points make?
    Yup.

The ballistic tip does serious damage. I mean it'll put a tiny entry hole on one side and a large exit on the other. The hollow points are more than effective, just i'd go with BT whenever possible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭duckman!!

If it was me I would go for the .22lr, a .22 with a moderator and using sub-sonic rounds it's so so quite, especially if u don't want to scare off any other bunnies in the field!!

I have a CZ455 with a Hawke sidewinder 30 4-12 by 50 and a SAK moderator!
    I get at worst a 3" group at 110 yards using CCI sub-sonics and I can get a 1" group at 110 yards using CCI velocitys!

Just my 2 cents, but u won't go wrong with either 1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Keeping it short and simple if you want to shoot rabbits to 100/150 yards or more depending on your capability its an easy choice 17 HMR all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

None such thing as a best cartridge in any case be it rimfire or CF

they are all the best at the job they are designed for.

with a range finder and decent scope you can hit bunnys at 150 yards with subs all day..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

hedzball wrote: »
    with a range finder which can correct for slope, a match grade rifle and ammunition, no wind, an impecably well laid out drop chart, and decent scope you can hit bunnys at 150 yards with subs all day..

'hdz

Fixed that for you. ;)

Subs have dropped ~24" and are dropping ~0.5"/yard at that sort of range, hitting a 3" target from a cold shot would take some doing!

Not saying it can't be done, but you can't very well argue that it's any sort of alternative to the 17HMR which is dropping at 0.1"/yard at the same range and is only just outside its MPBR in any case.

I agree, there's no such thing as a best cartridge for all scenarios - and the 22LR is the absolute king inside 70 yards on small quarry, no question about it. I have one, I love it, and I'll never be without it.

If you want to get out past 120yards with confidence though, you need something faster, and the HMR in any flavour is supersonic out to ~230yards and still less than 50c a bang.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. ;)

Subs have dropped ~24" and are dropping ~0.5"/yard at that sort of range, hitting a 3" target from a cold shot would take some doing!

Not saying it can't be done, but you can't very well argue that it's any sort of alternative to the 17HMR which is dropping at 0.1"/yard at the same range and is only just outside its MPBR in any case.

I agree, there's no such thing as a best cartridge for all scenarios - and the 22LR is the absolute king inside 70 yards on small quarry, no question about it. I have one, I love it, and I'll never be without it.

If you want to get out past 120yards with confidence though, you need something faster, and the HMR in any flavour is supersonic out to ~230yards and still less than 50c a bang.

I'd rather land 150 with subs than shoot 150 with the hmr..

great round and all but doesn't really serve its purpose as a trainer to me..

more fun shooting something more challenging..

lad on here shoots a cz 452 no match grade blah blue print blah bull crap and he is regularly out hitting 140-180 yards with hold overs on his scope bashing bunnys..

rather the challenge..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

extremetaz wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. ;)

I have to agree with this

like someone starting out on 22lr with subs is going to zero at 50/80 yards and is not going to have the know how or be able to shoot it out to 120yds let alone 180yds.

but with the 17hmr you cant zero it 1" high at 100yds and thats going to give you more range without hold overs, just seems alot less frustrating and complicated trying to hit your target/rabbit

• Advertisement

swift220 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this

like someone starting out on 22lr with subs is going to zero at 50/80 yards and is not going to have the know how or be able to shoot it out to 120yds let alone 180yds.

but with the 17hmr you cant zero it 1" high at 100yds and thats going to give you more range without hold overs, just seems alot less frustrating and complicated trying to hit your target/rabbit

but less rewarding in the long run...

lots of lads go from 22 to 17 back to 22
    not as many go the other way

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

'hdz

Oh I wouldn't argue with that - the .22LR has a hell of a lot going for it. I could definitely see myself with both the 22LR and the 17HMR, ...but if I picked up a 204 or a 243, then for the volume you'd put through the HMR, I could definitely see myself letting it go at that stage. I'd definitely still hold on to the .22 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

'hdz

Yep, the main issue for me was the cleaning required and the damage to the meat.
    I went back to 22 , don't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

.22lr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you do not have a 22lr, it would be my first choice.

I have a few calibers in the safe. The round I reach for the most is the 22lr. The firearm I use the most, the 10/22.

At 100ya on a bunny sized target, the 22lr will be accurate. With some practice, you will get precision as well.

Advertisement