Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is long enough?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I'm in the same boat but I have been here way longer than you :pac: Montreal is the pits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Canada is pretty massive eh.
    Where about are you OP? I'm in Winnipeg. Meet up for pint on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Judge Mental

The winter here can be a bit rough and isolating, wait till it warms up a bit at least. 3 weeks is too soon as well, you'll regret not giving it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Anywhere between Jan-March is a dreadful time to move out here with the weather, really (unless you're out west). Suck it up and give it a few months at least, otherwise you WILL spend the rest of your life wondering what would've happened if you stayed.

I arrived in Canada in August 2009, and I'm still here. It's worth sticking with it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I have recently moved from Ireland to Canada. I don't like it here at all and I'm only here 3 weeks. How long more should I give it? Very tempted to book a flight home

I emigrated the first week of January, had a few setbacks when I first arrived and was very close to booking a flight home after a week but I was determined to stick it out for at least a month. I'm finally starting to feel a bit settled but it takes time. I'm here almost 2 months now & although I'm still not fully settled I feel I am getting there slowly.

I moved to North America & found it incredibly difficult due to the weather, I still find the weather to be the hardest to adjust to. Look OP, nobody can make up your mind only you. It's your life & you can do what you want.

Just try and remember why you moved in the first place and think of returning to Ireland without giving it a proper try. That's what I did and it helped me a great deal. If you want to give me a PM then fire away and I'll try to give you a bit of help because I only went through all this a few weeks ago. Best of luck anyway, hope everything works out for you whatever you decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Give it time OP. I'm always facinated about "what makes us happy".

I can recall being unhappy and happy at the oddest of times.

Like being up to my nuts in mud clearing a ditch - but happy. Being surrounded by friends and family all ripping the $hit out of each other but the job clearly being worthwhile and going well.

Then arriving to somewhere on the Med on holiday. Group of good friends. But the flight was delayed about 3 hours and I don't like flying anyway. And then the receptionist being a total cvnt. Result - very pi$$ed off for the rest of the day.

Go figure. Start making a few friends, getting a bit settled in accomodation, job, hobbies, love life.

tl:dr - abourt 6 months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

I have recently moved from Ireland to Canada. I don't like it here at all and I'm only here 3 weeks. How long more should I give it? Very tempted to book a flight home

Where in Canada are you? If it's coastal BC, it'll be ok the rain will stop in about a month. Then it's summer which is all BBQ and beer.

Are you alone or living in an apartment with 20 other Irish people?

I doubt you're even over the jetlag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Give it a year and man up. You are a man right?

Lived in Toronto for years and when the spring hits it's plain sailing my friend. Oh and the wimmins love Irish men even I managed to get laid once or twice lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Stick around for a while.cant be much worse than Ireland. This country is in bits. Its boring too. Water charges, economy,banks, dole queues, sick of it all. Stay where you are. It doesnt matter where you live. Were all doomed anyway.

Thing is you actually get something for your taxes in Canada so I didn't mind paying a high enough rate of tax whilst I lived there. In Ireland it goes towards keeping Wacko on the long term dole, Bertie with the long term pension and Thomas with the long term golden PS pension. Not to mention the bank debt tax. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

two years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Important question you need to ask yourself; you don't like it there or you don't like it not being home? If you've never lived abroad before, you may not be able to answer that, BTW.

It's an important question, because if it's just Canada you don't like, then the problem is that Canada may not suit you, but somewhere else might. If it's being away from home you don't like, then the problem is more to do with you and either you try to deal with it or you can go home to the village you came from and spend the rest of your life there, where you will be comfortable.

Depends on what you want in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Important question you need to ask yourself; you don't like it there or you don't like it not being home? If you've never lived abroad before, you may not be able to answer that, BTW.

It's an important question, because if it's just Canada you don't like, then the problem is that Canada may not suit you, but somewhere else might. If it's being away from home you don't like, then the problem is more to do with you and either you try to deal with it or you can go home to the village you came from and spend the rest of your life there, where you will be comfortable.

Did the OP say he was from a village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

HIB wrote: »
    Did the OP say he was from a village?
    He may not be literally, but if his issue is with being away from home, then he is metaphorically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

What part are you in? Vancouver drove me nuts after the first month for about 2/3 months and then I loved it and don't wanna be back! You need to give it a few months. Pints/Battered Sausages/Hot Chicken rolls crap weather and negativity will always be here. You can only get the Working Holiday Visa once.

You need to YOLO Swag the sh!t out of it #hashtag m9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Go find the Trailer Park Boys, I''m sure Bubbles would have an extra shed you could sleep in, just take all the the bottles down to the dump & watch out for bees + snakes. And you'll have to use piss jugs, when they start to fill up just throw them on other peoples trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Just 6 small questions. You say you "MOVED" there 3 weeks and you don't like it and want to come back....
    Q1 Where did you get the money to move out there?
    Q2 What are you living on for the last 3 weeks?
    Q3 Where are you living...house, hut. shack. tent, room with wall padding.?
    Q4 Who are you living with.?
    Q5 Where did you get the money so you can move back?

Q6 Are you sure you actually "Left Ireland" or is it just a dream, sounds like it to me fella.

He's not your fella guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,251 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Who says we want you back, huh?

HUH?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Have you made any friends?
    Have you sorted a job?
    Decent place to live?

All of these things will make your stay much better, believe me. If you are alone and missing home then try to get out and get involved in activities to take your mind off Ireland. I always say that its much better nowadays compared to when our parents and grandparents had to emigrate. Your family are only a phone call or a Skype call away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

In all honesty it took me almost three years, but I had another language and migration within the country to deal with aswell so just my objective experience. Having said that, I'm doing a six month stint in Ireland at the moment and I am desperately homesick for NL :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

1 hour could do it for me. Feck what anyone else thinks, do what suits you. If you genuinely don't like it, leave. Only you know, and only you should decide. Feck public opinion.

Best post I have seen in ages. You are spot on DoS. I have spend far far too much of my time worrying about what other people think.
    Op, if you hate it, come home - with your head held high - you made a decision about your own life. Nobody elses business.

• Advertisement

This is a good point and speaking from experience of being a person falling under the "its not home" bracket. I moved to London (never really wanted to go but did) and within a few weeks I knew it wasn't for me but I also know living outside Ireland and being away from family and friends would never be for me. I still stuck it out for the year and then moved back. I plan to actually live in the part of Ireland I'm from but I'm actually fairly happy once I'm in the country for now and can hop in the car and head home when I want and do it regularly a thing not really practical living in London. Aside from missing family etc I just missed being in Ireland and the way of life here etc.

The one thing I really learned from the experience is that living abroad will never be for me so the op probably needs to ask himself the question you asked.

Advertisement