Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is long enough?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved from Ireland to Canada. I don't like it here at all and I'm only here 3 weeks. How long more should I give it? Very tempted to book a flight home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

Go home stimpson. You're drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Three months at least for me. I've sometimes been in the pub for longer than youve been innn Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I have recently moved from Ireland to Canada. I don't like it here at all and I'm only here 3 weeks. How long more should I give it? Very tempted to book a flight home

I know its very cold this week for March but if you could last till the weekend it should warm up a bit.
    St Patricks day is soon as well worth waiting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SPM1959 wrote: »
    6 months.

Would have said that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

WhiteWalls wrote: »

Cold weather putting you off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Stick with it OP.

It's only first twenty years are the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

3 weeks is way too long. You should have your mind made up in 24 hours. Use any savings you have and go to Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

More a case of trying to work out why you don;t like it and why you wnet in the first place.

Can you fix it or is it a lost cause? If the former, do it and stay. If the latter, not much point in hanging around.

Is heading somewhere else like the US ar Australia an option, or would that just be a sideways move?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

2 months OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What have ya done since you got there? Have you explored it abit?
    My mate is over there and doesn't wanna come home. There's always something to do there. He's there 4 years now.
    Does rafting, hiking, hill climbing. All outdoors stuff and then in winter does snowboarding.
    Living the life over there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Three months at least for me. I've sometimes been in the pub for longer than youve been innn Canada.

Yeah, you saw an ad on the side of a bus saying "DRINK CANADA DRY". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

1 hour could do it for me. Feck what anyone else thinks, do what suits you. If you genuinely don't like it, leave. Only you know, and only you should decide. Feck public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

6 inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You've not been there long enough unpack and find local local 24 hour shop.

You really need to give it a few months.

How old are you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Thought this would be about willies.

Thread is disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

You've not been there long enough unpack and find local local 24 hour shop.

You really need to give it a few months.

How old are you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fergaldevlin

Just 6 small questions. You say you "MOVED" there 3 weeks and you don't like it and want to come back....
    Q1 Where did you get the money to move out there?
    Q2 What are you living on for the last 3 weeks?
    Q3 Where are you living...house, hut. shack. tent, room with wall padding.?
    Q4 Who are you living with.?
    Q5 Where did you get the money so you can move back?

Q6 Are you sure you actually "Left Ireland" or is it just a dream, sounds like it to me fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

When you are sick shit of the craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What made you emigrate from Ireland? I'm presuming it was no job opportunities in your line of work and you moved to Canada to find work? If so, what good will returning home do? Sure you mightn't like the place but you've hardly lived there at all and need to try settling in for at least a few months.

This mightn't be your situation at all OP but I don't understand people who have no chance of getting work in Ireland that emigrate only to want to return home and be unemployed at the first sign of homesickness within a few weeks. That's not long enough to even make some good friends which are what would really help. Why do so many people seem to give up at the first sign of difficulty nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

At least 3 months. Are you on a working visa or something? Would be a shame to waste it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I'd say give it between 3 and 6 months. If after 3 months you are still feeling the same way then get out of there, if you're feeling better than you do now, give it another 3 months.
    Get to know people, make friends, do things that you wouldn't be able to do in Ireland.
    Remind yourself why you moved there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

What is it you don't like about the place? IME It takes a while to settle in somewhere new OP.

You're probably only getting the basics set up, tax, bank, accommodation etc. so you'll feel very unsettled for a few weeks because everything is new and takes getting used to. It is hard going when you don't know many (or any!).

Try to give it 3 months, once you start working and meeting other people, get used to your own living space, you'll feel a lot better.

Don't isolate yourself when you're feeling homesick though, worse thing you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lenny Lushlips

They say 42 days, fours and seven minutes.

But it depends.

Why leave Canada?

Answer that, and you'll have answered the question, 'why leave Canada?'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,873 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where are you located. I could guess and offend a lot of people .
    Rather you say it .

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

You're not missing much the place is still a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Canada ain't for sissies.

Tbh, going in the dead of winter it'll be a bit different from here.
    Stick it out until autumn at least.

Longer than that, when I made an actual move, it was pretty tough at the start. Took a couple of months to settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

which part of Canada are you in OP? Im over and back to Canada all the time and been to most parts, except Calgary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Stick around for a while.cant be much worse than Ireland. This country is in bits. Its boring too. Water charges, economy,banks, dole queues, sick of it all. Stay where you are. It doesnt matter where you live. Were all doomed anyway.

Advertisement