Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company playing hardball

Options
  • 02-03-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Bit of advice needed..

I'm 6 months behind with my management fee's and need the management compnay to sort out an issue with a leak in my bathroom ceiling, it's a top floor apartment and the leak is coming directly from the roof. The problem is the MC have said they will not provide a service while I am in arrears...

The way I see it is they are responsible for the roof, it is not my roof as they so bluntly told me some time back when I put a sky dish on it. I now see this as a health and safety issue and have told the MC this. They are still insisting they will not provide a service until I am up to date with my fee's, I don't need people telling me I should ''pay up'' as I am in the process of trying to clear these arrears, but it will take some months and I feel in that time the roof could literally cave in at some stage..

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I hope your placement of the sky dish wasn't the cause of the leak in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

bjork wrote: »
    I hope your placement of the sky dish wasn't the cause of the leak in the first place

Nope, it was 7 years ago..

But thanks for your concern.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

FFS you have a public profile here. Just yesterday you were offering 750 euro on a bike and previously you were bragging about buying campagnolo zonda wheels which retail around 300 euro.
    Where do your priorities lie?
    Only way you can get them to prioritise the work is if it endagers the structure of the building. If it was raining down on your daily and the structure was not endangered then the Management Company wouldn't care about your leaking roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The best you could probably do is offer a written, binding agreement (if you can do such a thing) to clear the arrears in order to get the roof issue solved. It'd be up to them to decide if that is good enough to go on.

It might be a bit silly of them to ignore a roofing issue which may have severe knock on effects for the whole building, but at the end of the day, whether you can help the fact that you're behind in mgt fees or not, you're still wrong.

And as mentioned above, I do hope that your Sky dish hasn't caused the issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

not yet wrote: »
    Bit of advice needed..

I'm 6 months behind with my management fee's and need the management compnay to sort out an issue with a leak in my bathroom ceiling, it's a top floor apartment and the leak is coming directly from the roof. The problem is the MC have said they will not provide a service while I am in arrears...

The way I see it is they are responsible for the roof, it is not my roof as they so bluntly told me some time back when I put a sky dish on it. I now see this as a health and safety issue and have told the MC this. They are still insisting they will not provide a service until I am up to date with my fee's, I don't need people telling me I should ''pay up'' as I am in the process of trying to clear these arrears, but it will take some months and I feel in that time the roof could literally cave in at some stage..

Cheers.

Had you previously come to an arrangement on how to clear the arrears? If yes, then they can hardly punish you for sticking to the agreement. If not, then they may not know your situation and are hoping you'll cough up in exchange for the roof repair. I agree though, it's silly to use this as leverage as delaying roof repairs could be more costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They are legally correct. You are asking them to provide a service that you haven't paid for yet. You need to pay up I'm afraid.

FFS you have a public profile here. Just yesterday you were offering 750 euro on a bike and previously you were bragging about buying campagnolo zonda wheels which retail around 300 euro.
    Where do your priorities lie?
    Only way you can get them to prioritise the work is if it endagers the structure of the building. If it was raining down on your daily and the structure was not endangered then the Management Company wouldn't care about your leaking roof.
    You're a diligent little boy altogether...

A+ for you on your homework copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,783 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The fact you put a sky dish in 7 years ago, doesnt negate the fact it could be the origin of the fault.

Id pay the arrears if i was you. Why did you stop paying in the first place !?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Grow up! you are the same age as me. A roof over your head is a basic requirement and you endager it by spending money on your hobbies rather than your home. You can't say they are squandering your management fee. It will cost a multiple of your management fee to hire a roofer to fix your roof and you still resent paying your management fee. You should be old enough to cop on and look after your basic needs as a basic necessity.

listermint wrote: »
    The fact you put a sky dish in 7 years ago, doesnt negate the fact it could be the origin of the fault.

Id pay the arrears if i was you. Why did you stop paying in the first place !?

I had a problem in 2013 that They would not resolve, I was in dispute with them from that period on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Grow up! you are the same age as me. A roof over your head is a basic requirement and you endager it by spending money on your hobbies rather than your home. You can't say they are squandering your management fee. It will cost a multiple of your management fee to hire a roofer to fix your roof and you still resent paying your management fee. You should be old enough to cop on and look after your basic needs as a basic necessity.

Part of being a grown up is knowing how to engage in conversation & debate without resorting to childish retorts.
    Please take your own advice before you get on the wrong side of the mods and earn yourself an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I had a problem in 2013 that They would not resolve, I was in dispute with them from that period on.

Were you still using the facilities, waste disposal etc?. Your not making much sense to be honest if your looking for advice.

You had a dispute in 2013 and stopped paying fees but are only 6 months behind, there is more than your letting on here.

What advice are you after exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Did you bring up how the management handle dispute resolution at the last AGM? What was the outcome?

I've paid my management fee for 10 years, how does that equate to resenting paying it (see below) I have said the issue is with the roof and the roof is not my property...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Bit of advice needed..

Cheers.

You are a member of the management company (assuming you own the apartment).
    Did you raise your dispute and any lack of satisfactory outcome at the last AGM?

What about the sky dish, was it taken down? Was it patched up correctly if it was?
    Even if it's still there and untouched in years, we've had some pretty batterring winds recently, satellite dishes act like big sails and can put a lot of pressure on whatever they're fixed to, potentially damaging.

Were you still using the facilities, waste disposal etc?. Your not making much sense to be honest if your looking for advice.

You had a dispute in 2013 and stopped paying fees but are only 6 months behind, there is more than your letting on here.

What advice are you after exactly?

Simple really, who's responsibility is the roof...

The dispute arose in late 2013, I did not pay fee's due in July 2014 so I'm 6-7 months in arrears.

bjork wrote: »
    Did you bring up how the management handle dispute resolution at the last AGM? What was the outcome?

No, I didn't attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Simple really, who's responsibility is the roof...

The dispute arose in late 2013, I did not pay fee's due in July 2014 so I'm 6-7 months in arrears.

Is something ilke this not covered under block insurance and if it does cave in be vastly more costly than repairs but your covered either way?

It's illogical to not repair it which is why there has to be more to this, its a tricky spot and could it be that other units are also in arrears and the management company are finding any way to claw back the cash.

Kensington wrote: »
    You are a member of the management company (assuming you own the apartment).
    Did you raise your dispute and any lack of satisfactory outcome at the last AGM?

What about the sky dish, was it taken down? Was it patched up correctly if it was?
    Even if it's still there and untouched in years, we've had some pretty batterring winds recently, satellite dishes act like big sails and can put a lot of pressure on whatever they're fixed to, potentially damaging.

The fact that the original dish was on a completely different part of the roof leads me to believe it's not the source of the problem, There is a communal dish on the roof put there by management company.

I haven't attended an AGM in years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

AS a director of a management company I agree with their approach.

I've had to deal with leaks and issues in apartments over the years. An external leak can be easy to fix but leave a lot of internal damage. As you pointed out you are responsible for the internal they the external. I'd be more worried about what damage could be caused internally.

There is only one winner in this and it won't be you

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    AS a director of a management company I agree with their approach.

I've had to deal with leaks and issues in apartments over the years. An external leak can be easy to fix but leave a lot of internal damage. As you pointed out you are responsible for the internal they the external. I'd be more worried about what damage could be caused internally.

There is only one winner in this and it won't be you

Well it's with a solicitor as and from today,so we'll have to see. Regardless of arrears they are responsible for the roof, and if the roof is causing the problem they need to resolve it, would you not agree..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Good luck taking on a mgt company if your in arrears, insurance, bins etc is part of your fee, always best to be uptodate

Well it's with a solicitor as and from today,so we'll have to see. Regardless of arrears they are responsible for the roof, and if the roof is causing the problem they need to resolve it, would you not agree..

The problem is, if everyone in the place is also not attending agms or paying their fees, how do you propose they pay for any repairs?

The problem is, if everyone in the place is also not attending agms or paying their fees, how do you propose they pay for any repairs?

Who said people weren't paying their fee's. I've paid my fee's for 10 years on the button, do you think I've just decided to stop for no reason..?

Who said people weren't paying their fee's. I've paid my fee's for 10 years on the button, do you think I've just decided to stop for no reason..?

Have no idea. But it's a common problem in estates across the country. Btw, paying your fees for ten years means nothing if you are currently in arrears. Pay your fees if you want the managing agent to provide you with all services, otherwise they have the right to withdraw services or not engage with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Pay your way. Receive services.

This is how the world operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Why did you stop paying your fees?

During the time since you stopped paying have you used bins, communal areas, parking etc?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Why did you stop paying your fees?

During the time since you stopped paying have you used bins, communal areas, parking etc?

The fee's were due last July, July 2014-July 2015.

And yes the facilities are still being used.

anncoates wrote: »
    Pay your way. Receive services.

This is how the world operates.

Wow, pay your way you say, interesting concept that....

So pay up regardless of disputes etc..

• Advertisement

Have no idea. But it's a common problem in estates across the country. Btw, paying your fees for ten years means nothing if you are currently in arrears. Pay your fees if you want the managing agent to provide you with all services, otherwise they have the right to withdraw services or not engage with you.

The point I'm making is I have paid my fee's until now, I have not just decided to stop for no reason.

Simple question: Are they responsible for the roof or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement