Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best song of the the 5yrs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Probably my favourite song of the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

God, where to start?

Fleet Foxes - Montezuma
    The Shins - Australia
    Beach House - Myth
    James Blake - Retrograde
    Janelle Monae - Faster
    Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields

Not every great song is a single, or a big hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I think this is one of my top 5 songs of all time tbh. Just perfectly written pop song.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Any Taylor Swift song...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

bpmurray wrote: »
    "Addicted to Pain" by Alter Bridge from the Fortress album.

Every single one of this band's songs sounds like it should be in WWE! No idea how anybody can take this band seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

threeball wrote: »
    Love the way people post completely obscure music in these threads that no one has heard of as it makes them some kind of aficionado. If it was worth a sh1t it would have gained some traction somewhere. When people have to google it, its safe to say its probably just a closely held personal preference.

To be fair if you actively listen to new music there's nothing obscure in the thread at all. If you follow a couple of music blogs you'd have heard 90% of what's been posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The The have many good songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The who?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I don't tend to take much notice of pop-music, but this little ditty by the mesmerising Julie Feeney caugh me ear lately:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Wouldn't name one outright, but this is up there

and this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Love the way people post completely obscure music in these threads that no one has heard of as it makes them some kind of aficionado. If it was worth a sh1t it would have gained some traction somewhere. When people have to google it, its safe to say its probably just a closely held personal preference.

So going by your logic, who has released the best song of the last 5 years? Avicii? One Direction? Just because a song isn't on regular rotation on day time radio doesn't make it completely obscure. I assume you're referring to the likes of Tame Impala who were mentioned earlier in thread, you mightn't hear them being played in Coppers or on Today FM but they'd sell out most venues in Ireland and would have a high billing at any festival they play, as well as having released 2 critically acclaimed albums that have done reasonably well commercially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Wolf Club wrote: »
    So going by your logic, who has released the best song of the last 5 years? Avicii? One Direction? Just because a song isn't on regular rotation on day time radio doesn't make it completely obscure. I assume you're referring to the likes of Tame Impala who were mentioned earlier in thread, you mightn't hear them being played in Coppers or on Today FM but they'd sell out most venues in Ireland and would have a high billing at any festival they play, as well as having released 2 critically acclaimed albums that have done reasonably well commercially.

Indeed, the old 'mass popularity= quality' thought process.
    Making McDonalds a Michelin star restaurant chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw

not a great video, but fantastic song..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Easily the best song of the past 5 years.

Not really though. It is a song that takes absolutely everything that is wrong in hip hop, mashes it together and makes something listenable and memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I like the way you illustrated your response with numerous examples. :p

Tame Impala, Japandroids, Yuck, The Joy Formidable, Fionn Regan, Animal Collective, Best Coast, Beach House, And So I Watch You From Afar, Deerhunter, Laura Marling, Villagers, Ryan Adams, Mick Flannery, The Men, No Joy, Sun Kil Moon, Sparklehorse, Ty Segall, Mac Demarco, Temples, Spiritualized, The Flaming Lips, Beck, Mclusky, Boris, Sufjan Stevens, Wilco, Deltron 3030, Sigur Ros, Tim Hecker, The White Stripes, Cathy Davey, The Strokes, The Antlers, Queens Of The Stone Age, Sleep, Electric Wizard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I love Uptown Funk. It's got such an old school 70's/80's vibe to it and it just stays in your head long after you've heard it.

Great tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

wait, so anything you have to google is "obscure" & can't be any good? uh, ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I love Uptown Funk. It's got such an old school 70's/80's vibe to it and it just stays in your head long after you've heard it.

Great tune.

It's got that hey ya quality where i know I'm gonna get really sick of it one day but I'll listen to it at least 10 times a day till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I remember hearing this in a car journey with a friend, it came on randomly on 2FM, and I distinctly remember thinking instant classic when it turned to the chorus. I still think its the best mainstream song of the first half of this decade. It has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

How is this even a debate? It is clearly Dongcopter Pirate.

NSFW:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Hard to pick one but these stick out for me:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Moves Like Jagger

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The correct answer is Everything Is Awesome, from The Lego Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

3 from me:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Arcade fire and the black keyes have been mentioned numerous times so here the best of the rest for me:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Wide Load wrote: »
    To be fair if you actively listen to new music there's nothing obscure in the thread at all. If you follow a couple of music blogs you'd have heard 90% of what's been posted.

I'd say less than 1% of AH listen to music blogs. the majority of people get their music on radio.

ok, for well known tracks of the past 5 years I'd have to go with either kanye west - power or taylor swift - shake it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Yeah could say tame impala or radiohead,little green cars all superb bands or any one of million songs but I like to support the little guys ...Bless this guy he couldn't afford a real band so he improvised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

the majority of people get their music on radio.

Do you really think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

it would have to be a track from the most credible artist of the last 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Yeah could say tame impala or radiohead,little green cars all superb bands or any one of million songs but I like to support the little guys ...Bless this guy he couldn't afford a real band so he improvised.
    I liked that! :)

Another Arcade fire song here

Advertisement