Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best song of the the 5yrs?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

Autosport wrote: »
    Shine down : Second chance or What a shame

AlterBridge: Watch over you

Good picks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

lertsnim wrote: »
    Tears For Fears - Mad World

Even the Gary Jules cover (which is better imo) is older than 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Five years you say.........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YCSJpF4g4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

You can agree or disagree but it doesn't matter. Now it is stuck in your head

Haters gonna hate hate hate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

You can agree or disagree but it doesn't matter. Now it is stuck in your head

Haters gonna hate hate hate :D

It's almost impressive how catchy this track is. I've heard it a handful of times when it came on in a shop or wherever and it's in my head now without even watching the video. Witchcraft I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Oblivion by Grimes

or

Runaway by Kanye

Other ones I'd pick would be Thinkin' Bout You by Frank Ocean, Zebra by Beach House (it's actually just over 5 years old now, but f*ck it), Climax by Usher, Rolling in the Deep by Adele (only heard this for the first time a few months ago!), Baby Birch by Joanna Newsom, Dance Yrself Clean by LCD Soundsystem, The House That Heaven Built by Japandroids, Midnight City by M83...

I'm leaving Burial out of things cos I'd just put Kindred and Rival Dealer above everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know, I love a lot of music that's been made since 2000, I'd say most of the stuff I listen to nowadays is modern. So I kinda find people who say "Oh, there's no good music made any more" a bit nuts, there's constantly new music being made that is freakin' amazing, so much that I can't hardly keep up with it.

I also thought for once I'm not gonna post vids of all those awesome Japanese bands I listen to, give people on here a break
    Gonna resist that urge...

Wish me luck! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

deadmau5 - Strobe A little over 5 years old but definitely a masterpiece if you like this kind of music!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Black Stone Cherry-Remember Me.

Not the best song in the last 5 years but definitely one of the best bands. They only played The Academy in October but used it as a warm up before a sold out arena tour in the UK and will be back for Download this year. The lyrics to this song are fantastic and it means a lot to the band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It would probably be something from Arcade Fire for me, Awful Sound, It's Never Over or Afterlife.

Possibly Coldplay's Charlie Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Links234 wrote: »
    You know, I love a lot of music that's been made since 2000, I'd say most of the stuff I listen to nowadays is modern. So I kinda find people who say "Oh, there's no good music made any more" a bit nuts, there's constantly new music being made that is freakin' amazing, so much that I can't hardly keep up with it.

I also thought for once I'm not gonna post vids of all those awesome Japanese bands I listen to, give people on here a break
    Gonna resist that urge...

Wish me luck! :p

Yeah if you listen to new bands on Hype Machine or something like that, you'll discover loads of interesting new artists and sounds. Irish radio, however, is complete muck, so I think people give up and just retreat to the bands they listened to as teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

Love the way people post completely obscure music in these threads that no one has heard of as it makes them some kind of aficionado. If it was worth a sh1t it would have gained some traction somewhere. When people have to google it, its safe to say its probably just a closely held personal preference.

threeball wrote: »
    Love the way people post completely obscure music in these threads that no one has heard of as it makes them some kind of aficionado. If it was worth a sh1t it would have gained some traction somewhere. When people have to google it, its safe to say its probably just a closely held personal preference.

Taylor Swift? Kanye West? Arcade Fire? Disclosure?

Taylor Swift? Kanye West? Arcade Fire? Disclosure?

The post obviously wasn't aimed at the posters who posted the above now was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Suas11 wrote: »
    Nonsense

I like the way you illustrated your response with numerous examples. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Dylan Moran:

If you have friends who don't have kids, they can sound very naive, you
    know? You see your friends without children, because they ask you stupid
    things, like "What did you do on the weekend?"

"Uhh..." As you try to distinguish one moment from any other in the blur of
    screams, stains and tears that made up Saturday and Sunday, they will tell
    you what they did, which is all they ever wanted to do in the first place.
    "We went to that really cool place, you know, the one you haven't heard of?
    Yeah. They make their own tomatoes out of vodka. It was great. And then we
    walked along the canal. We hired one of those hop-on-hop-off hot air
    balloons, just so in case we got bored walking, you know, we could get on
    the balloon for a bit, then we could walk from there. And then, uh, you
    know, I think we saw a French double-bill of old movies, you know, which
    reminded us we hadn't had sex in about half an hour, so we did again. And
    then we went and, uh, we did that, eh, we're both in a band. Yeah, it's
    doing really well. It's called 'Black Yogurt'. We did a sort of lunchtime
    gig, and ehm... you know that really really cool place, you know, the
    cellar that's above the building? It's called Ümlaut. Well, it's not called
    Ümlaut, it's just two dots over a U that isn't there. And then, um, we saw
    loads of people from all over the world, and saw several art galleries and
    went to about five operas and some production of ballet. It was really
    good. I think I was in it. And, uh, we had sex again and, uh, yeah. Then we
    just ended the evening with some of that, you know, Japanese pizza. It's on
    stilts. It's really nice."

And then it comes back to you, what you did! You go, "Oh, yeah, I remember!
    I scraped hardened Weet-Bix off of a kitchen tabletop for two and a half
    hours, and then I TRIED to have a sh*t. It didn't quite work out, but
    there's a window on Wednesday, I think. You should come around, we'll make
    an evening of it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

M83 - Reunion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

If you are talking popular music, it has to be Gotye Somebody that I Used to Know as I really don't know anyone that can resist that chorus, as demonstrated hilariously here:

Personally, I'd go with something by Villagers for sheer crafting of a song.

Now that I think of it, 'Let It Go' from Frozen has to be the biggest song of the last five years. Not the best, mind you, but nothing has had the same effect on pop culture.

The last five years? They've been a bit of a blur to be honest so I'm just going to suggest the last really good song I heard, and that is:

"Fall From Grace" by Future Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Seaaan123

Bibio- You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

So what! people want to share music they think people haven't heard of. Oh, because it's not in the top 40 they're deemed snobs and the likes. Get a bloody grip. I've enjoyed this thread so far from hearing songs I haven't heard before. I mean just why even post a negative post like that. Just go away.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I couldn't narrow it down to one album, let alone one song

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

chrissb8 wrote: »
    So what! people want to share music they think people haven't heard of. Oh, because it's not in the top 40 they're deemed snobs and the likes. Get a bloody grip. I've enjoyed this thread so far from hearing songs I haven't heard before. I mean just why even post a negative post like that. Just go away.

Because they're claiming its the best like of the last 5yrs genius... you know, like the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sciprio wrote: »

Thanks for that!
    What is seen cannot be unseen!:(

Advertisement