Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff you miss about Ireland when abroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Low taxes and family. In terms of food and beer, there is always better alternatives if you look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The only thing I missed was spending Christmas with my parents and brother. Really, nothing else to miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Lapin wrote: »
    Grumpy and unhelpful staff in Bus Éireann and Irish Rail.

Transport for London more than make up for that I can assure you as do the good people of the SNCF (French Rail) and the appropriately named, RAT-P (the operator of the Paris Metro).

CIE isn't that unfriendly! I saw an old lady in London struggling with her ticket being told "If you put the f###ing ticket in the machine it would help dahling!" By a helpful member of platform staff in London.

French scenario : I asked in fluent French where to get a train to .... and the guy said : do I look like a map! Shrugged and walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

On my college 3rd year, spend 5 months in Spain and a month into a 5 month stay in Venice.
    How bad says you.
    Home comforts are sorely missed though.

'Calling a pint a pint'
    Sunday Roast
    Mon-Sat Roasts
    Tesco (and other big stores)
    The English language.
    Sarcasm
    Cheap sh!te (EDIT: In discount stores and the like, buying stuff in bulk, not saying Ireland is a country of bargains..)
    The word sh!te

Had a pint of Guinness over here, I don't really drink Guinness but found an Irish bar. Tasted like the keg made the trip to Venice on the back of a donkey. Tasted watery and flatter than it should be. Paid 6.50 for it as well... Won't be happening twice.

Also miss family, friends, nights out, laid back attitude, comedic news headlines, English commentating on football/sports events.

Try to immerse yourself in the culture but after 3 weeks of pasta you think to yourself... How many would I kill for meat, 2 veg and gravy.. :P
    Also don't like going places and guessing what I'm eating..
    Black spaghetti freaked me out.. Spaghetti in squid ink...
    I dunno, baby steps, lets not run before we can walk, had paella for first time ever last year and half the ingredients in it for first time as well..
    Squid ink is a step too far for now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Not much of a tea drinker, but there was a lot of excitement when a few of us got together and someone handed over teabags brought over from home. The host went off into the kitchen and made everyone a brew. Much eulogising of the heavenly irish teabags, ah these are the business etc.

After everyone downed their mugs he told us that he had in fact stored away the teabags from home and served up the local muck that we had been complaining about 30 mins beforehand.

Tea, it's all in the mind.

Too hot for Guinness here, but in a few months when winter rolls in I'm usually yearning for a good pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

iDave wrote: »
    So in summary unhealthy food and alcohol!

Fresh Air!

Being by the sea was another one. Didn't think I'd miss it, I don't even swim in the feckin' thing but there's something very calming about being by the sea...

Also not just the unhealthy food. Meat from animals that haven't been injected with steroids and the like....but maybe the meat is shot up over there and it's just people are more honest about it here, I don't know. When you go to a grocery store here, it's not uncommon to see 7% retained water on a pack of chicken fillets...

The smell of the rain in the field and the luggage doors operatin'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Real redheads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The smell of the rain in the field and the luggage doors operatin'

I'd forgotten about luggage doors operatin'!!

*sobs into overpriced Canadian coffee*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I love the first breath of air getting off the plane in Dublin.

There are few better feelings in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

The weather. The last two winters in Finland were tough. Milder than usual but still seven months of cold dull grey sh!te. And the food. Especially meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

iDave wrote: »
    So in summary unhealthy food and alcohol!

...and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

...and milk.

Except that UHT milk
    It's sh*te :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Galway, the craic, people, deli food, mountains. Berlin has enough incredible aspects to compensate though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I spent 2 years in London and thought the Guinness there was muck, not the same quality as here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The bread, its absolutely awful in the US. Which is why i always stock up on the Odlums brown bread mix when I'm home so I can make my own

Guinness is fairly sh!te here, but there are other good beer options which I go for instead. Mulligans of Poolbeg St is usually my first port of call when I get home though

Proper curry sauce

Having the craic. Basically being around people with a similar sense of humour. For the most part, the Americans I know are very nice people, they're just not much craic to be around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I miss the characters you find in ireland,you get them all over the world but it just seems Ireland breeds some of the funniest.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭conspiracycat

Hankerings: Fish and chips. Guinness. Breakfast rolls.

Actual things: Being able to own a car. Easy banking. Easy insurance. Being a citizen. Safe roads. Real alcohol. Real goods. Real documents. No bribes. Competence. Police do police work. Amazon.

Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Lived in Berlin for 6 months. Only back last week.

What I missed:

-Cheese and onion crisps, Butter and Milk, chicken fillet rolls, Roast dinner.
    -Not having to dull down my accent and also the lingo we use is brilliant.
    -No one takes themselves seriously and can laugh at their own expense.
    -The landscape and the Sea. Walked up Killiney hill and just took in some brilliant views on the weekend. The peace I get from looking out on the Irish landscape is beautiful.
    -Coming into an Irish pub and everyone is happy and animated and looking for a great night.
    -Our (sometimes too) laidback nature and our ability to have huge craic.
    -Fresh refreshing air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Haven't been away for long enough to miss many things yet (only been 4 months), but reading this thread has made me realise I really miss the air in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The food. Ireland do dairy and meat products especially well.

Irish people are actually pretty well mannered as well, compared to where I live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

The weather is good all year around with no extremes. Never too cold or too hot and it rains **** all compared to some other countries.

The air. Ireland has very fresh and clean air compared to China :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Wishing I wasn't in Ireland :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The bread, its absolutely awful in the US. Which is why i always stock up on the Odlums brown bread mix when I'm home so I can make my own

This! Have Mammy COYVB sending regular supplies of brown bread mix over to me in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

My family,
    My dogs,
    Good pack of king crisps,
    Fry up,
    Friends,
    Proper gaffs where people don't just leave after one drink,
    The fresh air,
    Real bread,
    Better but still terrible drivers xD
    The sense of humour,
    Being able to have a good conversation when meeting someone for the first time,
    The big green parks and trips to Glenda lough on a sunny day,

But mostly my family and dogs :( seriously miss them

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Aww the poor puppy:( I want to cuddle your puppy.

me too! He's so adorable and a little troublemaker but god I miss him!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 glassdaisies

the pubs
    the landscape
    how genuine and laidback people are
    bulmers
    my friends :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Humour and Irish sarcasm, where else can you say the following and get something other than a puzzled look or having to explain things? :)

Co-worker: Will you work my desk shift?
    Me: I will, yeah.

After noticing someones bad hair.
    "The head on ya!" :)

Advertisement