Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff you miss about Ireland when abroad

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Of course, some things will be available in places other than Ireland, but where I'm living, I can't get (or can't afford):

soda bread
    good cheese
    good butter
    good milk
    good sausages and rashers
    whole chickens for roasting
    buttermilk
    coleslaw
    lamb

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Brown soda bread and a cold frosty can of Club Orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Irish bacon
    Irish people and their general casualness of everything, I love it.
    Breakfast rolls, they don't make em right in Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I would sell my firstborn to satan for a Superquinn sausage sambo on decent sliced pan and a can of Club Orange.

I also miss Penneys like you wouldn't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Irish pubs are definitely unique. Most pubs in England are either populated by unfriendly regulars or is just a soleless generic branch of a franchise.

Hankerings: Fish and chips. Guinness. Breakfast rolls.

Actual things: Being able to own a car. Easy banking. Easy insurance. Being a citizen. Safe roads. Real alcohol. Real goods. Real documents. No bribes. Competence. Police do police work. Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Lamb.

Amazing to me that the americans dont really eat it much. Lamb is about as poplar in america as Duck. You can get it and its good qualty but its a specialized item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Augmerson wrote: »
    Sally O' Brien and the way she might look at you.
    Karl Stein wrote: »
    The twinkle in a pig's eye.

Ah here Sally mightn't be the best looking but....:D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Snogging a Dublin girl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

When I lived in the UK, I really missed the Irish driving.
    In the UK, most drive on the left lane and you get hounded out of it for hogging the middle or outer lane.
    In the UK, you have to stop when the light turns red, you don't have that extra 5 seconds after the light turns red.
    In the UK, you are not allowed to drive your tractor on the motorway. Learner drivers get taken off the motorways by Police!
    I could go on but glad to be back in Ireland with its much more flexible approach to driving and the lack of enforcement.

Never go to Poland if you think the English are bad for this. They drive right up to the back of your car, literally within a foot, and barely allow you to change lanes before speeding up to pass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

our pubs (foreign pubs don't come close to ours)
    Bread (bread just ain't great in the continent)
    Guinness (it's never as good as home)
    Galway ( I don't live there but there is nowhere else in the world like it)
    my bed (it's always too warm for sleeping overseas)
    Superquinn Sausages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Decent ketchup!

decent bread. Not that sweet stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭mulbot

Taco sauce,
    Kerrygold butter,
    Decent tv channels,
    Manners,
    humour,
    The "I" in aluminIum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

What I miss about home, is the rain and the greenness, and the pint of Harp.
    And the evening before us, and friends coming in, and the pint of Harp.
    And joining the chorus, and the pint of Harp.

Oh, the money is good, and the suntan is free.
    You could fry and egg on the stones here, if you had an egg.
    And you could certainly sink a pint of Harp.
    If you had a pint of Harp.

I never really liked Sally O'Brien. I always thought she was a bit of a tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

The craic
    Speaking English
    Nambarrie
    Decent sausages
    Brown sauce
    Decent bread
    Proper chips
    Ironically enough (given that I live in Taiwan), I miss Chinese food. That's the Chinese food that's been adjusted to our own tastes, of course.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and charity shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Cidona, Red Lemonade, chicken fillet rolls after a night out - actually, deli counters in general! - decent bread, being able to order Lucozade in pubs (they have it in shops where I am but not pubs), noodle bars or burrito bars for a cheap lunch (not Irish, I know, but they're on every corner in Dublin and there are none here), etc.

Non-food: being able to say "yer man" without having to explain, throwing a casual cúpla focail into conversation and the "ah sure it'll be grand!" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

I live in Carlow, you pass someone on the streets here you'd say hi

I'm from Donegal but i've been living in Dublin for the last 3 years. I tried explaining to my father how random strangers don't say hello or even acknowledge each other in the city and he can't believe it. There's something so... nice about how nice people are in small town Ireland. It really is something that I missed when I lived in Canada for a year. People in Dublin are lovely too, just a little more tough skinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Having Irish problems. Protesting water meters is a big deal. Which I'm not being a d1ck about, I think that's great. It's better than drone strike kills 20 school children or tensions rise with Russia.

I'm in the US. I earn a fair amount but in the end my tax is around 36% on the entire lot between state and federal. That money is going towards wars and the interests of corporations. Not to social programs to help those who need it. I know, in Ireland when I was there, I'd get fed up with the high taxes and having grown up in Galway, fed up with the people who take unemployment as a life choice. BUT that's better than people who genuinely need help here, having very few options for support.

That certain Irish person that is a great story teller, would you give you the shirt off their back and is humble. There's less of them around now but still, great when you find them.

The Climate. Yes, it rains often BUT there's no real extremes. In my entire life in Ireland, it only got very, very cold once. Back about 5 years ago or so. Yes, you need to get the scraper out for the car when the ice comes but it's not as bad as many other places. Also, we don't get much sun but living in Arizona right now, it beats getting the amount of sunshine we have here. We get 5 months of Heaven here, followed by 7 months of Hell.

The Air!...The very first thing I missed from Ireland and something I had never heard others talk about before. The Air quality in most other countries I've been to has been awful. I'm assuming because we have actually humidity with the cold, that dampness makes the air a lot softer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The colour green.

I love the first breath of air getting off the plane in Dublin.

Anything pork related.

Irish beef.

The general vibe of friendliness.

Rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I miss a lot of things about Ireland, but the one that stands out most is the general ease at which people talk to one another.

I have been living abroad for a while now and have done a fair bit of traveling, most social interactions I have found feel a little forced and contrived; at least in the initial stages.
    Irish people generally move from small talk to deep conversations and back again without any effort even on first meeting somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Given that I live in Colombia, I miss seasons. It doesn't feel right for the weather to stay the same all year round.

Sadly, I can't miss the rain because Bogota has at least as much as Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

My family
    The milk
    The milk
    The milk
    Did I mention the milk?
    The skies
    Some variation in the weather
    Our ability to be silly and make tits of ourselves for a laugh - the Spanish have something called "Sentido de Ridículo" which means they get embarrassed about looking silly, so people try their damnedest to be cool as cucumbers all the time - it's boring.
    The milk
    Fresh, clean air and the greenness of it.
    Laid-back attitude and people not flying off the handle over every little thing.
    Not being miles from the sea.

Loads of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A lot of people at home complain about always bumping into the same people in their town and everybody apparently knows everyone else's business but living abroad in a major city I have to say that's something I actually really miss. I think there's a lot of comfort in that familiarity of knowing you're going to go down your local shop/pub/supermarket and be guaranteed to see people you know. I think that's why we have a good sense of community at home.

Same as what others have mentioned, a good irish pub, chocolate, crisps, deli rolls, local and national GAA games, just being understood when using expressions like "ah goway outa that", "I will yeah", "yeah that's grand, sound!".
    It gets frustrating having to repeat yourself all the time.

I know the weather is usually always sh!t at home but there is a lot to be said for lashing on a roaring fire on a winters night!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I would kill for a good chipper right now!!

also a breakfast roll would be nice (not that i was even a big fan of them at home but i need one!)

a newsagent! we dont have little corner shops that you can just grab a bottle of club orange and a chocolate bar etc, you have to go into a major shop and even at that you wont get single bars / single cans

on that note club orange!!

the language - presses, trollies , grand... all words I've had to explain oh and "I will yeah" try telling someone here that it actually means No they can't comprehend it!

mammies home cooked dinners.

my puppy

friends

crisp sandwich..

Now I miss home.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm expat over in Norway, and it's usually food, drink, and the small things.

Sausages - Because the Norwegians think that frankfurters are a suitable substitute, despite them barely having any meat in them.

Irish Rashers - Because they just aren't good enough elsewhere.

Buying alcohol from a normal grocery shop - Because in Norway you can only buy booze from special government-run shops that are only open while I'm at work and close the second I leave for home.

Buying stuff from a normal-sized shop on a Sunday - Because in Norway there's a bizarre rule that only allows a grocery shop to be open on Sunday, if it's just about big enough to store the food, and maybe some customers (*maybe*). Often the queue to the till will snake around the aisles themselves, meaning that your whole shopping is done while in the queue.

An Actual Pub - Not a bar, not the corner of a night-club blaring music, not an 'Irish Bar' that insists on doing the same with 'authentic music'. A pub! Essentially a very large sitting room that dispenses booze to me. This I believe Ireland has gotten down to a tee, and I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

red lemonade , Jacobs mikado biscuits, a good mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Stinjy wrote: »
    I would kill for a good chipper right now!!

also a breakfast roll would be nice (not that i was even a big fan of them at home but i need one!)

a newsagent! we dont have little corner shops that you can just grab a bottle of club orange and a chocolate bar etc, you have to go into a major shop and even at that you wont get single bars / single cans

on that note club orange!!

the language - presses, trollies , grand... all words I've had to explain oh and "I will yeah" try telling someone here that it actually means No they can't comprehend it!

mammies home cooked dinners.

my puppy

friends

crisp sandwich..

Now I miss home.....

Aww the poor puppy:( I want to cuddle your puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So in summary unhealthy food and alcohol!

Advertisement