Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ardamine wexford

Options
  • 01-03-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi can anybody tell me what's it like to live in ardamine in wexford please. I am looking for a house in the area. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Depends on what you're looking for. Ardamine is a lovely spot but not exactly the most exciting place on earth. Can get a bit crowded in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 13roses

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Depends on what you're looking for. Ardamine is a lovely spot but not exactly the most exciting place on earth. Can get a bit crowded in summer.

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for somewhere quiet but not too quiet. I was wondering if this is a safe area to live in. I have read some not so good stories about courtown and I know ardamine is not far from there. Is there anywhere else you could recommend like ballymoney or ballygarrett. I also didn't want to buy in an estate that has lots of holiday rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

13roses wrote: »
    . . . . . I also didn't want to buy in an estate that has lots of holiday rentals . . . .

Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for any coastal location in North Wexford. A lot of estates within easy reach of the beaches, such as Courtown, Riverchapel, Ardamine, Ballymoney, etc etc, will have been built with the holiday marked in mind and were marketed for this at the time.

Check out this precious thread in relation to Ballymoney, I'm sure there are several more about other villages in Wexford.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283815

Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for any coastal location in North Wexford. A lot of estates within easy reach of the beaches, such as Courtown, Riverchapel, Ardamine, Ballymoney, etc etc, will have been built with the holiday marked in mind and were marketed for this at the time.

Check out this precious thread in relation to Ballymoney,

Check out this precious thread in relation to Ballymoney,

• Advertisement

Would ballymoney be a better buy then? I looked at that thread but it's going back to 2008 and I am sure things have changed. I am moving work my teenage son so it's just the two of us and I really need to get the move right

Would ballymoney be a better buy then? I looked at that thread but it's going back to 2008 and I am sure things have changed. I am moving work my teenage son so it's just the two of us and I really need to get the move right

Ballymoney can be expensive and a lot of the properties there would have been built for the holiday market so almost devoid of people in winter. There are virtually no amenities apart from the pub and the golf club,the shop and post office having closed a few years back, I'd imagine it could be quite lonely for a young boy.
    Ardamine, on the other hand, while being quiet enough, is closer to amenities like the leisure centre, GAA and soccer clubs, various community activities etc. It is also more accessible to Gorey, for schools. Dunehaven or Newhaven are estates which have a high percentage of owner occupiers, avoid Branogue Park.
    Further down in Riverchapel, if you can find somewhere in the older part of Riverchapel Wood, that is also a nice area. Your own transport is essential of course as public transport is virtually non existent.
    Where are you going to be working?

Thank you for all the info. I will have a look on the Internet for houses in Riverchapel and see if I can find anything. Was looking at seaview, Ardamine

Thank you for all the info. I will have a look on the Internet for houses in Riverchapel and see if I can find anything. Was looking at seaview, Ardamine

Again, Seaview was built for the holiday market. Poor insulation, probably storage heating so expensive to keep warm. Better to look elsewhere for a permanent home.

• Advertisement

Again, Seaview was built for the holiday market. Poor insulation, probably storage heating so expensive to keep warm. Better to look elsewhere for a permanent home.

OK thank you. The house in Seaview has storage heating that would have to be changed. I will enquire about the insulation, I am viewing it the end of the week. Very hard to choose houses when you don't really know the area well. Having a look at more websites now, looking around various areas. ☺

OK thank you. The house in Seaview has storage heating that would have to be changed. I will enquire about the insulation, I am viewing it the end of the week. Very hard to choose houses when you don't really know the area well. Having a look at more websites now, looking around various areas. ☺

Ask to see the BER cert, all homes for sale should have one. A rating higher than C2 is probably best avoided.
    You will drive through Riverchapel on your way to Seaview, Riverchapel Wood is at the roundabout opposite the RC church, Dunehaven is Opposite the Cof I church beside Ardamine caravan park and New Haven is just above Seaview on the same side. Other places worth considering are Glen Aobhinn and Middleton which are within a quarter mile of each other on the first turn right after Brooks supermarket.
    Happy hunting.

bido wrote: »
    Ardamine

Hi do you think ardamine is a good place to live permanently?

Ask to see the BER cert, all homes for sale should have one. A rating higher than C2 is probably best avoided.
    You will drive through Riverchapel on your way to Seaview, Riverchapel Wood is at the roundabout opposite the RC church, Dunehaven is Opposite the Cof I church beside Ardamine caravan park and New Haven is just above Seaview on the same side. Other places worth considering are Glen Aobhinn and Middleton which are within a quarter mile of each other on the first turn right after Brooks supermarket.
    Happy hunting.
    Thank a mill for all your help. I am going to spend all day Saturday down there looking around at various different places

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Yes WE only moved in Oct n love it some of our estate are lived in full time n the rest are holiday homes We bought a 3 bed bungalow it has oil c heating but I am a plumber so that was not a prob We have a 20 year old Son with us He has not bn lucky enough to get a job yet but pg he will pick up something soon Best of luck Pm me if U wish

Yes WE only moved in Oct n love it some of our estate are lived in full time n the rest are holiday homes We bought a 3 bed bungalow it has oil c heating but I am a plumber so that was not a prob We have a 20 year old Son with us He has not bn lucky enough to get a job yet but pg he will pick up something soon Best of luck Pm me if U wish

Ohh thanks for that. I am going to look in Seaview, I know they have storage heating but I would be taking that out and putting in oil and possible a solid fuel stove so if I move there, there will be some work for you☺I will be bringing my 14 year old son with me. I have a 21 year old daughter but I think she is on the verge of leaving the nest. Hope your son gets a job soon

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Seaview is just past us on the left hand side,it looks a nice estate,Best of luck with ur search n yes if u want any plumbing done I wud be delighted to give u a quate

Seaview is just past us on the left hand side,it looks a nice estate,Best of luck with ur search n yes if u want any plumbing done I wud be delighted to give u a quate

Super thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Riley2402

We bought in seaview, ardamine 8years ago, insulation is non existent , storage heaters in all properties, we put in a wood burning stove with back boiler about 3 years ago makes a huge difference. The estate itself is lovely, there are a few holiday homes but recently we've had a good few permanent residents moving in compared to 4 or 5 years ago. Yes it gets busy in the summer but more so further up towards courtown. There is direct access to the beach and a small local shop just past the entrance , brooks supermarket is 3 or 4 mins up the road along with a chemist, pub , chipper and hairdresser.
    Courtown and surrounding areas have got a bad rep recently but overall the guards seem to have stepped up their presence and its quietened down a good bit.
    If you are buying then there is ample space to extend out the back and side of some of the houses. Biggest issue for us was the cold in winter but once we'd put in the stove it made a massive difference to us.
    There is a residents committee and in general there is a lovely bunch of people living here now.
    Hope your viewing goes well , happy to answer any questions you may have after you've viewed.

• Advertisement

Riley2402 wrote: »
    We bought in seaview, ardamine 8years ago, insulation is non existent , storage heaters in all properties, we put in a wood burning stove with back boiler about 3 years ago makes a huge difference. The estate itself is lovely, there are a few holiday homes but recently we've had a good few permanent residents moving in compared to 4 or 5 years ago. Yes it gets busy in the summer but more so further up towards courtown. There is direct access to the beach and a small local shop just past the entrance , brooks supermarket is 3 or 4 mins up the road along with a chemist, pub , chipper and hairdresser.
    Courtown and surrounding areas have got a bad rep recently but overall the guards seem to have stepped up their presence and its quietened down a good bit.
    If you are buying then there is ample space to extend out the back and side of some of the houses. Biggest issue for us was the cold in winter but once we'd put in the stove it made a massive difference to us.
    There is a residents committee and in general there is a lovely bunch of people living here now.
    Hope your viewing goes well , happy to answer any questions you may have after you've viewed.

Hi and thanks for all the information. Everybody had been so helpful. I live in the countryside now, i am originally frim Dublin but it has always been my dream to live close to the sea. Viewing tomorrow so hope that goes well. Thank you again☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

Glenbeg Point in Ardamine are detached bungalows. They go for 95 to 105. Cost me €1500 to bring it up to a c2 near Riverchappel school and a beach, they are about 12 years old built by McInerney. Rent one for a while they are about €600 a month. Good bus service. The tennis court is a bit busy in the summer time.

James esq wrote: »
    Glenbeg Point in Ardamine are detached bungalows. They go for 95 to 105. Cost me €1500 to bring it up to a c2 near Riverchappel school and a beach, they are about 12 years old built by McInerney. Rent one for a while they are about €600 a month. Good bus service. The tennis court is a bit busy in the summer time.

Hi James, than you for your information. I drove through glenbeg when I went to Ardamine. I see they ate now going for €95000 which is good. I am selling my house so have to wait until it's sold unfortunately. I will definetely be buying in the ardamine area very soon I hope. Can't wait to live near the sea☺

Good bus service????

There is a good bus service from Glenbeg Point to Gorey, where there is a big secondary school.

There is a good bus service from Glenbeg Point to Gorey, where there is a big secondary school.

That's good to know thanks so much. My son doesn't want to move with me but I will have to persuade him more. Might sound like a stupid question but is an important one for my son, are the broadband speeds good there? Is fibre broadband in the area yet? ☺

All the houses are wired underground for telephone where I get by broadband over the phone with eircom it is fine for netflix. I don't know if fibre is in the estate but the national fibre rollout is live in the Courtown area. I use vodafone for my moblie which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jen jens

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying in Roney Beach estate in Ardamine.

Could anyone please tell me any pros / cons for this estate?

Want to buy with holiday home / holiday let in mind.

Is the beach there nice?
    Would there be kids around during the summer for my kids to play with?

Many thanks
    Jen Jens

James, I have lived in or been associated with the area for a long time and the notion of a "good" bus service is news to me. Who operates it?

• Advertisement

Gorey Bus Links operates the service, their number is on their .ie site , they have a stop at Glenbeg Point you can give them a call and ask when the next bus is due during the day.

Advertisement